Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean in talks with Airbus and Boeing for new aircraft [confirmed as Airbus A320neo]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean in talks with Airbus and Boeing for new aircraft [confirmed as Airbus A320neo]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G

Article is in Greek, so use Google translate if needed.

Επαφές Aegean με Boeing και Airbus για τη προμήθεια νέων αεροσκαφών. Βελτίωση προ φόρων κερδοφορίας

Διαπραγματεύσεις με την Boeing και την Airbus πρόκειται να πραγματοποιήσει, το προσεχές διάστημα, η Aegean Airlines, με στόχο τη προμήθεια νέου στόλου αεροσκαφών.

Επιμέλεια: Μ. Δημητρίου

Η Aegean διαθέτει σήμερα μόνο Airbus (εξαιρείται ο στόλος της Olympic), κάτι το οποίο ίσως να δίνει προβάδισμα στην ευρωπαϊκή εταιρεία, έναντι της αμερικανικής Boeing.

Εάν επιλέξει τη Boeing, η Aegean καλείται να επανεκπαιδεύσει, μερικώς, τους μηχανικούς της, ενώ αλλάζει και ο τύπος των ανταλλακτικών.

Κεντρική επιδίωξη αποτελεί τα νέα αεροσκάφη να έχουν μειωμένη κατανάλωση καυσίμων, με την εταιρεία να δίνει έμφαση στη μέθοδο της μίσθωσης και όχι της αγορά

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 11, 2017 at 10:54 am Reason: Reduce to summary from complete article per FT copyright policy
Old May 11, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: A3*G
I am hoping for inclusion of proper business class seats for longhaul flights!
Old May 11, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ErnstH
I am hoping for inclusion of proper business class seats for longhaul flights!
Before hoping for inclusion of proper business class seats for longhaul flights, A3 would have to have longhaul flights!
East_and_West likes this.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:43 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm assuming this is about replacing older/existing aircraft with ones that are more efficient. Especially since the article mention that they are now suffering from overcapacity. Since they lease everything I can imagine that some of the older leases are up for renewal and can be exchanged for other/newer types perhaps..

What does strike me as weird is the inclusion of Boeing. It does not make much sense to me to include B737's on an otherwise only A32x fleet. The costs and overhead to support a completely different aircraft type would be huge. And if lower fuel consumption is the main objection of the change - Airbus has options for that too. The A320 NEO is almost fully compatible with the A320 in every respect (even spare parts). That would be the likely choice for new aircraft I'd think.

Last edited by Xandrios; May 12, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old May 12, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'm assuming this is about replacing older/existing aircraft with ones that are more efficient. Especially since the article mention that they are now suffering from overcapacity. Since they lease everything I can imagine that some of the older leases are up for renewal and can be exchanged for other/newer types perhaps..

What does strike me as weird is the inclusion of Boeing. It does not make much sense to me to include B737's on an otherwise only A32x fleet. The costs and overhead to support a completely different aircraft type would be huge. And if lower fuel consumption is the main objection of the change - Airbus has options for that too. The A320 NEO is almost fully compatible with the A320 in every respect (even spare parts). That would be the likely choice for new aircraft I'd think.
I'm also pretty sure they will end up sticking with Airbus- however, it makes sense that they'd also see what Boeing can offer in terms of immediate and long-term cost, efficiency (and whatever else comes into play for such a decision).

Personally, I have a general preference for Airbus as far as comfort goes (though admittedly this is based on my experience on long-haul aircraft).
Old May 12, 2017, 12:44 pm

Airbus have it in the bag. A3 will go through the motions just for protocol and also maybe to get a better deal. The usual bargaining tool airlines use. Pressure unofficially will come from the Greek Govt to buy European.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Since they lease everything I can imagine that some of the older leases are up for renewal and can be exchanged for other/newer types perhaps..
They don't own any of their aircraft?
Old May 13, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
IMO that's SOP when it comes to negotiating. Looking at all available options puts pressure on your previous partner to make you a good deal. And if it happens that Boeing makes them a very good deal, it may be possible that they may switch. For that to happen, Boeing would need to make them a really sweet deal and I don't think that Boeing will do that. They have plenty of customers for the 737.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please no 737. Considerably poorer passenger experience compared to Airbus.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Personally, I think a fleet of CS100, CS300 and A321 would be the ideal solution for Aegean.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by kaneporta1
Personally, I think a fleet of CS100, CS300 and A321 would be the ideal solution for Aegean.
Based on what?
Old May 13, 2017, 7:44 pm

A321 for the busy, longer LHR and Germany routes. Costs are only slightly higher than the A320 anyway.
CS100 and CS300 for all other routes:
- Unbeatable economics
- Better passenger experience
- Ability to open new markets with the CS100 (i.e Islands to Europe)
- Ability to offer more frequencies
- Performance of the CS100 out of smaller airports
- Seasonal nature of Greek market means that slightly smaller aircraft makes more sense.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
A321 for the busy, longer LHR and Germany routes. Costs are only slightly higher than the A320 anyway.
CS100 and CS300 for all other routes:
- Unbeatable economics
- Better passenger experience
- Ability to open new markets with the CS100 (i.e Islands to Europe)
- Ability to offer more frequencies
- Performance of the CS100 out of smaller airports
- Seasonal nature of Greek market means that slightly smaller aircraft makes more sense.
You are perhaps making judgements on Aegean strategy without a full knowledge of the facts. There are many other sectors, like the high-frequency LCA-ATH route, where most flights are heavily booked that could in no way cope with small CS100/300 aircraft. In my opinion, Aegean are short of a few A321 aircraft which could replace the currently used A320 on certain popular routes.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
IMO that's SOP when it comes to negotiating. Looking at all available options puts pressure on your previous partner to make you a good deal. And if it happens that Boeing makes them a very good deal, it may be possible that they may switch. For that to happen, Boeing would need to make them a really sweet deal and I don't think that Boeing will do that. They have plenty of customers for the 737.
If they are just talking to Boeing to get prices down, and that is so transparent that even we can figure it out, won't Airbus understand that too then? Its not much of a threat if everybody knows they would not go through with it..

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Pressure unofficially will come from the Greek Govt to buy European.
I sincerely hope they go for the best deal available to them, and not get involved in EU politics in that way. Plenty of other EU operators fly Boeing aircraft, including Air France, so there would be no need to force anybody to buy Airbus.

Originally Posted by headingwest
They don't own any of their aircraft?
I'm pretty sure they don't. Perhaps Olympic does?

CS100 and CS300 for all other routes
Keep in mind that the Olympic short-haul fleet are turboprops which, as far as I know, are much more economical than any jet engine (Even though a turboprop technically is also a jet?). These also seat up to 100 pax, which is great for domestic flights.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by johnirvine
You are perhaps making judgements on Aegean strategy without a full knowledge of the facts. There are many other sectors, like the high-frequency LCA-ATH route, where most flights are heavily booked that could in no way cope with small CS100/300 aircraft. In my opinion, Aegean are short of a few A321 aircraft which could replace the currently used A320 on certain popular routes.
What facts? I already said they should operate A321s. Would be good for LHR, FRA, MUC and some LCA and SKG runs from ATH.

Keep in mind that the Olympic short-haul fleet are turboprops which, as far as I know, are much more economical than any jet engine (Even though a turboprop technically is also a jet?). These also seat up to 100 pax, which is great for domestic flights.
The OA Q400s have 78 seats. CS100 would be 120-125 seats and CS300 145-150. Quite a big gap. And the beauty is, a CS100 could easily and profitably do an ATH-JMK run followed by ATH-DUB. The flexibility is unmatched by anything else out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.