Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean - Etihad

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Aegean - Etihad

Apologies if this should be in another forum.

Booked a ticket from ATH-AUH-SYD through Aegean. Both flights are operated by Etihad, but price was better on Aegan site.

The PNR is Aegean, and there does not seem to be an EY PNR.

When I look at the booking, the only FF option is Miles&Bonus.

I have a Virgin Australia account and would prefer to use this.

Also have United, but this seems unlikely since it is an EY operated flight.

The final alternative is sign up for a Miles&Bonus account.

What are my options?

W class ticket.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:21 am

Even if you do sign-up for a Miles&Bonus account, you won't collect any miles since EY is not a *A partner.

Since the flights will most likely have an A3 number, I'm not sure whether you can collect miles with Virgin Australia. Maybe someone else in the forum have had similar experiences?
Old May 7, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Your best bet is to call Aegean and ask for the EY Record Locator. After that, go to Etihad's website and see what FF numbers you can enter - VA should be an option there. You may be able to call Etihad directly with the ticket number to see if they can give you the Record Locator but your best bet is to go through Aegean.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:14 pm

I wouldn't bother too much. Still enough time to enter it at check in I guess
Old May 8, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
See this thread from last year with a situation very similar to yours.

It seems the only program you can earn miles in would be Etihad Guest.

In other such cross-alliance codeshare scenarios, you can sometimes get miles with the FFP of the codeshare airline, but this does not seem to be the case here.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Clifford79 - my understanding is that since this is an etihad flight, Virgin Australia miles can be earned. VA and Etihad are almost the same since Etihad owns a big part of VA. No chance at star alliance miles if any sort since this is Etihad flight.

I followed phoenixtinct's advice, called Aegan, was given an EY record locator, which I put into EY's system.

It let me put the VA FF number in.

Bizarrely, it seems to be showing a business class ticket, despite the original booking being in Economy. The Aegean fare class was W, which translates to EY Business class.

I wonder what the odds of them honoring a business class ticket are... they seem low to me.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Perhaps this is a silly question, but when flying Etihad metal on an A3 ticket, do you get Miles&Bonus Gold privileges like lounge access?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by blackball
Perhaps this is a silly question, but when flying Etihad metal on an A3 ticket, do you get Miles&Bonus Gold privileges like lounge access?
No.

There is a codeshare; there are no reciprocal frequent flyer privileges. No mileage earning is possible in Miles & Bonus, and Miles & Bonus status will be meaningless - no perks, no lounge access, etc etc.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
What are my options?
The only programme in which you can earn miles when an EY flight is coded as A3 is Etihad Guest.

No miles in Virgin Australia; no miles on any of the other Etihad partners; no miles in Aegean Miles+Bonus; no miles in United, or any Star Alliance programme.

Only Etihad Guest will give you miles for this ticket.

Trust me: I tried almost all these permutations with the illustrated flights before accepting that only EY Guest would "pay out".
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; May 9, 2017 at 6:10 am
Old May 9, 2017, 10:52 am

Given that you get no perks what so ever, and that the price is higher when bought as an A3 code-share, is there any real reason to do it, or do I miss something?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes - you did miss something!

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Booked a ticket from ATH-AUH-SYD through Aegean. Both flights are operated by Etihad, but price was better on Aegan site.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:51 am

I saw it but i somehow I moved that into my unconscious part of my brain: last fall when I flew to SYD the Aegean ticket was almost as expensive as TK or LH. I paid about 1000 € less flying AZ/EY (plus the return trip to Rome and the three days vacationing and visiting my friends)
Old May 11, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Irishguy. So... the plot thickens..

I called Etihad guest to select seats. They told me the ticket wouldn't earn EY miles unless I filed a request for a credit afterwards.

Why? Because A3 and EY don't have a relationship re: FF. The A3 ticketing is A3's answer to the lack of coverage beyond Europe.

This seems like a hassle. Essentially, I'm paying less for the ticket through Aegean to forgo all miles except possibly EY, if I submit post-flight and they accept.

Funny.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be checking in with Etihad.

If you have an Etihad Guest number, you can quote it at check-in and receive the miles without having to retro-claim.

(though retroclaim worked effortlessly for me)
Old May 12, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like a plan, Irishguy. I suppose I can have my wife do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.