Wiki Posts
Search

Holmes Place spa treatment gone

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Holmes Place spa treatment gone

Don't know if anyone else noticed this but the free massage at Holmes Place spa when qualifying for Gold is now gone. One less reason to travel via Athens (the gym is not very nice).
Old May 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
You are right
My account was renewed in November and I got the spa treatment. But my girlfriend's account, which was renewed in March, didn't.
Do you know which spa treatment was offered anyways? Any review on that?
Old May 4, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Wait, I just re-qualified before my November deadline, but I have no new coupons showing up.

I expect this is normal- the new coupons (e.g. business upgrade) should not show up until Nov. 24th-25th, otherwise I'd be able to use them in this re-qualification year (which clearly shouldn't be possible).

So are you sure this isn't the same for you guys?
Old May 4, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Well I used my coupon in September for last year. Then I re-qualified after that trip (before November). Now I've already re-qualified again a couple months ago. I didn't pay attention to whether it was available between November and when I requalified, but either way there is one missing coupon.

It was a half hour massage, choice between legs or back (but more like full body with a focus on one area) which was very nice, worth about 30 euros.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Well I used my coupon in September for last year. Then I re-qualified after that trip (before November). Now I've already re-qualified again a couple months ago. I didn't pay attention to whether it was available between November and when I requalified, but either way there is one missing coupon.

It was a half hour massage, choice between legs or back (but more like full body with a focus on one area) which was very nice, worth about 30 euros.
OK, sounds weird. I've never used my coupons, but when I re-qualified last year, I got a new one valid until Nov. 2017 (as expected). So there's no reason you don't have one in your account right now... Maybe give them a call and ask.

By the way, the current year's coupon is slightly different (?) than what you describe:

"Free access for 7 consecutive days Studio classes, swimming pool or gym and access to jacuzzi or hamam for 7 consecutive days, for you and another person plus 1 Spa massage."
Old May 4, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
I have never used my coupon for the 4+ years. Guess I will try it this year before it's gone!

Originally Posted by blackball
By the way, the current year's coupon is slightly different (?) than what you describe:

"Free access for 7 consecutive days Studio classes, swimming pool or gym and access to jacuzzi or hamam for 7 consecutive days, for you and another person plus 1 Spa massage."
This is this year's coupon:

Free access for 7 consecutive days
Enjoy free access to studio classes, swimming pool or gym and jacuzzi or hamam for you and another person.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ung1

Why does a 30-min massage in Greece still cost 30 euros, it should be cheaper than this when a doctor's visit is less, and an hour massage in Thailand is 6 euros.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackball
OK, sounds weird. I've never used my coupons, but when I re-qualified last year, I got a new one valid until Nov. 2017 (as expected). So there's no reason you don't have one in your account right now... Maybe give them a call and ask.

Exactly, before you had the one week gym membership for 2 pax, plus a 30 minutes massage treatment for one person. Now the massage is gone. I still see this one, but in my opinion this is useless. To be staying relatively close to where the gym is, you are probably at a hotel, which has a gym. If it was access to a gym/ spa at a Park Hyatt (eg Shanghai) that would be nice, but I went to the gym at Holmes Place once and didn't go back.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
Why does a 30-min massage in Greece still cost 30 euros, it should be cheaper than this when a doctor's visit is less, and an hour massage in Thailand is 6 euros.
This is in the center of Athens where everything is expensive...
Old May 4, 2017, 7:44 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A massage in a probably private room in an upmarket spa in Thailand would be a lot more than €6. In London it would probably be considered a bargain! Wages and costs are an awful lot different throughout the world ...
Old May 4, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
A massage in a probably private room in an upmarket spa in Thailand would be a lot more than €6. In London it would probably be considered a bargain! Wages and costs are an awful lot different throughout the world ...
It is 15 euros in Thailand for a private room with massage oils. For one hour. In the US it is $100-200/hour. But for the state Greece is in 30 euros for 30 min is a lot, when starter monthly salaries are 450 euros and MDs charge 25-30 euros per visit. It is still cheap, but it can be a lot cheaper.

So A3's "perks" basically worth nothing, not even a 30 euro massage. And even then only a fraction of fliers would have used it. I wouldn't have bothered going down there for a 30min 30 euro massage.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
So A3's "perks" basically worth nothing, not even a 30 euro massage. And even then only a fraction of fliers would have used it.
I think you probably misunderstand the purpose of these "perks". They're not something A3 is paying for, they're what the hotel/spa is prepared to offer to entice people in as a paying customer on subsequent occasions, because they believe A3's Gold members match their intended demographic. I would actually say there's more useful vouchers still with A3 than the much bigger BA FFP, so they're hardly worthless compared to others in the market sector.

If the hotel has decided this loss leader strategy isn't working for them and withdraws the offer, there's not much A3 can do. Maybe it'll be replaced by something else, maybe not - but given the main purpose of a FFP is for, well, flying, I for one am not going to get too upset about it.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:22 am

Remember, Holmes Place is an upmarket brand. They're expensive- all over the world.

I also don't see this particular perk as being very useful. The same is true for the other discounts for the various hotels/restaurants- they feel more like promotions for these businesses.

And don't get me started on the parking coupons... Almost worthless.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think you probably misunderstand the purpose of these "perks". They're not something A3 is paying for, they're what the hotel/spa is prepared to offer to entice people in as a paying customer on subsequent occasions, because they believe A3's Gold members match their intended demographic. I would actually say there's more useful vouchers still with A3 than the much bigger BA FFP, so they're hardly worthless compared to others in the market sector.

If the hotel has decided this loss leader strategy isn't working for them and withdraws the offer, there's not much A3 can do. Maybe it'll be replaced by something else, maybe not - but given the main purpose of a FFP is for, well, flying, I for one am not going to get too upset about it.
I understand, and I am fine with the program, but they just have a whole section of worthless coupons over there.

As for the massage place, I don't know what they are thinking or what world they live in. I think the incentive was just too weak for anyone to bother, and the prices slightly too high to justify going that distance. You can probably find cheaper massage next to you.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I understand, and I am fine with the program, but they just have a whole section of worthless coupons over there.

As for the massage place, I don't know what they are thinking or what world they live in. I think the incentive was just too weak for anyone to bother, and the prices slightly too high to justify going that distance. You can probably find cheaper massage next to you.
Sure, and I think the problem is partly that at least the typical leisure traveler is not spending several days in Athens. Yes, maybe I would have experienced the free massage and gone back for another (paid one) since I was there. In fact, when I went, they were fully booked but luckily had a cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.