Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Carry on weights being strictly enforced [in LHR]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:09 am
MKB
Original Poster

Just boarded our flight to Athens. A lot of very angry Business and *G passengers being made to check and pay for any carry-on items over 6kg (although the website says this should be 8kg).

Our bags were ok but the guy in front had to pay £36 for an 8.9kg bag that had been approved at check-in and had a label attached to prove it.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've seen similar to this before for ex-LON flights, albeit at LGW. MrsNWI and I were in J, with a very slightly overweight bag between us (by less than 1kg). I saw some bags being force checked at the desk, and more at the gate. We weren't affected at either stage, but perhaps because the bag was well within the size limit and wouldn't have appeared to have been an issue to the gate staff.

I know DrHalxx was travelling through LHR very recently because we shared a lift up to the UA lounge, so perhaps might be able to contribute with some more insight.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I know DrHalxx was travelling through LHR very recently
How recently? I went to Athens last week and there was no weighing. Flight was almost completely full both ways, crew were actively asking people to keep smaller items under the seat in front

However, different to previously, priority boarding was strictly enforced in both directions. I was asked for my Gold card in both LHR and ATH after the BP scanner showed a Y seat - this was with a mobile BP so status not clearly visible - though I thought the QR code would contain the FFP number and status. I presume presenting a paper BP showing *G would not require the card.

Also different this time was that at LHR Gold Track, I just flashed my card and he did not ask to see it properly, only scanning the BP; same with the pax before and after. Previously, the "dragon" would always have to type something into the computer before allowing passage
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's not for me to report other's exact travel movements, but more recently than last week.

I was on a SK flight to ARN in Y, and also only had my boarding pass manually scanned and didn't have to show the card. I hadn't actually passed through LHR T2 fast track for a few months, so I'm not sure when this came in. Perhaps eventually it might work in the auto scanners . Unfortunately it went downhill after that - a reasonably long queue, only one line open, and no attempt to commission a second one. First world problem, but certainly the longest wait I've known there.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It's not for me to report other's exact travel movements, but more recently than last week.

I was on a SK flight to ARN in Y, and also only had my boarding pass manually scanned and didn't have to show the card. I hadn't actually passed through LHR T2 fast track for a few months, so I'm not sure when this came in. Perhaps eventually it might work in the auto scanners . Unfortunately it went downhill after that - a reasonably long queue, only one line open, and no attempt to commission a second one. First world problem, but certainly the longest wait I've known there.
My BP worked in the auto scanners at LHR around three weeks ago (A3*G travelling in Y).

Like you, I found the next stage very inefficient with just the one station open. A couple of people who passed through the scanner in front of me took one look at the queue, peeked through the screens at the standard security area and left to go through there instead! the whole process took nearly 10 minutes for me.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:28 am
MKB
Original Poster

OP again, now in Athens. To be clear, all trolley bags were being weighed, even small ones. None looked over-sized. I think we escaped being weighed as we each had a rucksack slung over our shoulder.

This was being done to the Business and *G line which was also being very strictly enforced for eligibility. I don't know whether the other line got the same treatment but probably not as boarding was very quick and we pushed back early; there wouldn't have been time to check all over-weight trolley bags.

This is the first time on any airline I've seen premium passengers dinged for extra revenue like this. Seems like a very short-sighted commercial policy to me.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
I was flying on A3 609 (Y) last Wednesday. Similar situation in terms of weighing bags, plenty of people being stopped and their bag weighted. I'm not sure though whether premium passengers were being stopped as I boarded slightly late due to having cocktails at the UA lounge (@NWIfllyer ). I was not stopped myself as I was only carrying a small rucksack.

Never experienced anything similar before
Old May 2, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
The 8 kg maximum is a little bit low.
I think 10 kg is ok even ryanair have 10 kg limit.

But 6 kg is laughable, some spinners weight 2-3 kg empty.

Probably they learn from wizzair, which charge you for a regular size cabin bag.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by winkny
The 8 kg maximum is a little bit low.
I think 10 kg is ok even ryanair have 10 kg limit.

But 6 kg is laughable, some spinners weight 2-3 kg empty.

Probably they learn from wizzair, which charge you for a regular size cabin bag.
A3's site still says 8 kg for the carry-on. Didn't anybody complain? My guess is that one can ask for re-imbursement when at the final destination...
Old May 2, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
A3's site still says 8 kg for the carry-on. Didn't anybody complain? My guess is that one can ask for re-imbursement when at the final destination...
If you use a credit card to pay for the charge i am sure any credit card will side with you when you try to dispute it.

But this is not the point, it is the hassle to deal with it when the site clearly state 8 kg.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:25 pm

...But this is not the point, it is the hassle to deal with it when the site clearly state 8 kg.
To paraphrase Mr. Jean Claude Juncker, it seems like the LHR A3 handling agents live in a different galaxy...
Old May 3, 2017, 2:57 am

I am sure this came from the management, ath-lhr both ways is probably the busiest aegean flight , it is always 95-100% full and is operated always with A321, so this make a perfect sense.
Probably they will expand enforcing of the rules to other flights in the network.

Last edited by winkny; May 3, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old May 3, 2017, 7:08 am

I am sure this came from the management, ...[snip]...Probably they will expand enforcing of the rules to other flights in the network.
Rules? The rules say 8 kg and not 6! And nobody wrote anything about weighing carry-ons at ATH (yet?).
Old May 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
And nobody wrote anything about weighing carry-ons at ATH (yet?).
I flew ATH to LHR today, things were very relaxed. No sign of anyone trying to enforce any rules.

I mentioned the OP's incident to the check-in lady, she had no clue. Maybe this was indeed a LHR A3 handling agents thing.

Last edited by MrArkadin; May 4, 2017 at 12:11 am
Old May 4, 2017, 3:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Forcing large luggage to be checked sucks but is understandable on a full flight; however making people pay for it, while within the official limits, is rediculous and sounds like local staff not being aware of the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.