Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Carry on weights being strictly enforced [in LHR]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on weights being strictly enforced [in LHR]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Flying Blue Silver
By the way, I have also flown domestically recently (mostly SKG-ATH route) and A3 staff did not do any rigorous checks of baggage size or weight.

However, they did apply blue bands to most backpacks/handbags asking to place the item under the seat in front of the passenger. Nobody did, first because there was plenty of space in the overhead bins, and second because some items would simply not fit under the seats...
Old May 25, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Enforcing the weight limit just means that now I will be checking my IATA compliant Rimowa instead of carrying it on. This does not benefit A3 or me. By all means enforce the size restriction. I totally support them on that. But the weight restriction just screams of a money grab rather than sensible policy.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I flew LHR-ATH last week and had my carry-on case weighed at check-in. It was 9.5KG and I was warned that I may have to check it in at the gate "as the flight was full". At the gate, they were checking the weight of all Y class pax bags but I sailed through the fast track boarding queue without a second glance.

My bag was also weighed at the check-in desk in Chios, where it was 8.5KG. Again, I was asked if I would rather check my bag from Chios to VIE but there was no problem with taking it on board. The lady put a hand baggage label on my case so I had no issues whatsoever. At the gates in ATH, nobody batted an eyelid and nobody said anything at the gate in Chios either. The interesting thing was that they allowed all pax on my OA turboprop flights to and from Chios to take their cabin cases on board and stow them in the overheads sideways. There were no problems with lack of space on board at all.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:59 pm

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I wanted to share that yesterday at RHO, ATH, and AMS gate agents were checking sizes and weights of cabin luggage. Obviously rollaboards were targeted, although I didn't really understand what sort of consequence being overweight would entail besides a "your hand luggage is 13kg, the limit is 8" and then walk off to the next person in line. Then again I boarded early so I don't know if stuff were gate checked.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:20 am

At LHR a few weeks ago they made a guy put his small laptop on the scales I kid you not !
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
I flew LHR-ATH last week and had my carry-on case weighed at check-in. It was 9.5KG and I was warned that I may have to check it in at the gate "as the flight was full". At the gate, they were checking the weight of all Y class pax bags but I sailed through the fast track boarding queue without a second glance.
Originally Posted by DELLAS
At LHR a few weeks ago they made a guy put his small laptop on the scales I kid you not !
No news here, LHR T2 is infamous for weighing cabin baggage and harshly enforcing the limits, Ryanair-style. This is true for all airlines not just A3. If you are on the priority lane (biz,eco plus,*G) you can most of the times--literally--sidestep this, although this is not always guaranteed.

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
The interesting thing was that they allowed all pax on my OA turboprop flights to and from Chios to take their cabin cases on board and stow them in the overheads sideways. There were no problems with lack of space on board at all.
Of course not, there is usually plenty of room onboard, and weight, within reasonable limits, is not an issue. And when problems and delays do arise, they are due to volume (too many rollboards/bags), and not due to weight/mass. That's why hand baggage limits vary so much across airlines (from 6 kg to 10kg, or even 23kg on BA) or are simply non-existent (easyjet and many airlines in NA).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by malmostoso
although I didn't really understand what sort of consequence being overweight would entail besides a "your hand luggage is 13kg, the limit is 8" and then walk off to the next person in line. Then again I boarded early so I don't know if stuff were gate checked.
Well, they charge you for a bag at airport prices if your carry-on is overweight and put it in the compartment. Seen it on several of my flights, yet very rarely. 13kg (instead of 8) were enough for such a surcharge though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.