Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Process for cancelling & re-booking awards

Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold

I've just made a successful award redemption for LHR-ICN-FUK, flying with Asiana in C. However, my first choice would have been a direct LHR-HND flight with ANA, but no award seats are currently available.

I have an expertflyer alert on seats for the direct LHR-HND flight with ANA - if a seat comes up, I'd like to cancel and re-book my award. I mentioned to this to my Aegean agent while booking the award and she told me I could cancel the award and get all miles and taxes back (apart from the 20EUR booking fee) but it would take "a few days" for the miles to return to my account.

Has anyone had experience doing this (cancelling & re-booking an award)? If someone has firsthand experience of the process of miles returning to your account after a cancellation I'd like to hear. I don't have the luxury of lots of excess miles, so I'd need to wait for miles to credit before getting the award and its likely I'd need to move fast if an award did become available!

Thanks in advance for any help,

John
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Took mine a week and a half for the miles to come back and about 3 weeks for the credit back to my card
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Took mine a week and a half for the miles to come back and about 3 weeks for the credit back to my card
Oh.

Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

An update:

Award seats on the direct ANA flight I wanted became available, so I phoned up the Aegean call centre and explained the situation - that I'd like to cancel the award I had and re-book on to the direct flight (going to a different city in Japan, with a different airline). It wasn't a problem, in around 15mins I had a reservation on the new flight.

The process as (1) hold seats on the new reservation; (2) cancel the old reservation (expected to take 10-15 days for the taxes for the old reservation to be refunded back to my card, minus the 20EUR fee which is non-refundable); (3) provide payment for taxes on new reservation; (4) wait for reservation details to be emailed through). To confirm, the agent handled all of this in a single call and it was a painless process.

Great service from Aegean!
headingwest and ErnstH like this.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by itfcfan
An update:

Award seats on the direct ANA flight I wanted became available, so I phoned up the Aegean call centre and explained the situation - that I'd like to cancel the award I had and re-book on to the direct flight (going to a different city in Japan, with a different airline). It wasn't a problem, in around 15mins I had a reservation on the new flight.

The process as (1) hold seats on the new reservation; (2) cancel the old reservation (expected to take 10-15 days for the taxes for the old reservation to be refunded back to my card, minus the 20EUR fee which is non-refundable); (3) provide payment for taxes on new reservation; (4) wait for reservation details to be emailed through). To confirm, the agent handled all of this in a single call and it was a painless process.

Great service from Aegean!
So, can you confirm what the charges were please. Of course, you cannot get the initial 20 Euro back, but I was under the impression that you'd be charged a further 40 Euro - 20 to cancel the original booking and 20 more to make the new one. Is that not the case?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I was under the impression that you'd be charged a further 40 Euro - 20 to cancel the original booking and 20 more to make the new one. Is that not the case?
I had a call with A3 on this last week. In case you cancel an award ticket the penantly is 40 Euro. 20 Euro for the non-refundable A3 call center fee and 20 Euro are being deducted from the taxes you get back.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nikolask
I had a call with A3 on this last week. In case you cancel an award ticket the penantly is 40 Euro. 20 Euro for the non-refundable A3 call center fee and 20 Euro are being deducted from the taxes you get back.
I had to cancel my award flight also, I was charged 40 Euro as well. Better than other airline that charges 120$-200$ USD I guess..
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nikolask
Earlier this month, I cancelled one booking with award tickets for 2 passengers using A3 miles, with the booking done online by me. Within a handful of days after calling to cancel the award tickets booking, the redeposited miles were available to use again; about 8-10 days after the initial cancellation call, except for 40 Euro-equivalent, the rest of taxes from the original booking were refunded to my charge card.

I assumed that the cancel fee was 20EUR per ticket, and not 20EUR per booking. Was I mistaken? Nothing was mentioned by the A3 rep about an additional call center fee to cancel.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Earlier this month, I cancelled one booking with award tickets for 2 passengers using A3 miles, with the booking done online by me. Within a handful of days after calling to cancel the award tickets booking, the redeposited miles were available to use again; about 8-10 days after the initial cancellation call, except for 40 Euro-equivalent, the rest of taxes from the original booking were refunded to my charge card.

I assumed that the cancel fee was 20EUR per ticket, and not 20EUR per booking. Was I mistaken? Nothing was mentioned by the A3 rep about an additional call center fee to cancel.
20 euro per ticket. Each passenger has a separate ticket even if on the same booking.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G, BAEC Bronze
Is there anyone with a recent experience on re-booking an Aegean award? I have an upcoming F award with OZ FRA - ICN but I am interested in trying to rebook on to LH F FRA-HND instead because of the recent reports of lacking OZ F service.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by ERL18
Is there anyone with a recent experience on re-booking an Aegean award? I have an upcoming F award with OZ FRA - ICN but I am interested in trying to rebook on to LH F FRA-HND instead because of the recent reports of lacking OZ F service.
Cancel and rebook. Done it several times. Find the award space first. Expect higher fuel surcharges (YQ). taxes stay the same.

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)
Frankfurt (FRA) to Seoul (ICN) — Fri, Feb 1 Asiana 542 Airbus A380 First (F) €130.70
Frankfurt (FRA) to Tokyo (HND) — Fri, Feb 1 Lufthansa 716 Boeing 747 First (F) €230.00
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: A3*G, BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Cancel and rebook. Done it several times. Find the award space first. Expect higher fuel surcharges (YQ). taxes stay the same.

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)
Frankfurt (FRA) to Seoul (ICN) — Fri, Feb 1 Asiana 542 Airbus A380 First (F) €130.70
Frankfurt (FRA) to Tokyo (HND) — Fri, Feb 1 Lufthansa 716 Boeing 747 First (F) €230.00
Thanks for your answer! How long does it take before the miles are credited back to my M&B account? Or can I cancel and then rebook directly after the cancelation?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ERL18

Thanks for your answer! How long does it take before the miles are credited back to my M&B account? Or can I cancel and then rebook directly after the cancelation?
see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30065882-post8.html
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:03 am

to update with my experience. I called in (and HUCA) and was told no way to change award origin, or to hold a new ticket whilst the miles came back. Only option is to cancel and wait for miles. 20 euro fee each ticket (no mention of a call center fee)

The miles actually came back within 24hrs but unfortunately the flight I really wanted had already gone by then, but got one earlier in the day from my preferred origin so not a big deal. At least now if it opens up and I want to change this will be possible - as date or time changes are OK.

My trip is very far out and plenty of other options were workable for me worst case, I would be very nervous with this approach close in - though sounds like it is YMMV on getting them to hold the new seats
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Practical question about cancelling a *A award:
If there are 2 people on the award and I only want to cancel one of them, do I need to cancel the entire award?
I.e. pay 2x 20€ penalty and have the trouble of getting a new award for that one person.

If so, I assume it is better to do a no-show, as that only incurs a 30€ no-show fee.

I will call them, just hoping someone here knows the answer so I can prepare my strategy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.