Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Earlier this year I flew HEL-MUC-ATH-HER, all on one ticket. The first two flights on LH and the last one was this [redacted] being discussed here. As a *Gold I checked in two bags in HEL with no extra cost. Before boarding in ATH the very nice gate agent told me that I need to pay for my extra bag. I told her firmly that I did not need to pay and used the magic words "most significant carrier". After two phone calls, I was not charged, but I got the feeling that they only wanted to keep me happy (I love Aegean/Olympic, BTW). I was right though, wasn't I?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 29, 2018 at 10:58 am Reason: To comply with rule 16
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Alec84
Earlier this year I flew HEL-MUC-ATH-HER, all on one ticket. The first two flights on LH and the last one was this [redacted] being discussed here. As a *Gold I checked in two bags in HEL with no extra cost. Before boarding in ATH the very nice gate agent told me that I need to pay for my extra bag. I told her firmly that I did not need to pay and used the magic words "most significant carrier". After two phone calls, I was not charged, but I got the feeling that they only wanted to keep me happy (I love Aegean/Olympic, BTW). I was right though, wasn't I?
If I remember it correctly, within Europe the first international leg defines the amount of bags (all flights on one ticket. In your case HEL-MUC). So you were right.
GBobon likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 29, 2018 at 10:59 am Reason: Amend quote to comply with rule 16
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
ugust I'll be flying from JTR to ATH on a single ticket. From there, a new ticket with BA stars to LHR. The A3/OA flights lands at ATH at 18:05 and my flight to LHR departs at 19:55. I was expecting to have the second bag benefit as a *Gold but it seems I might be wrong about that, hum?

Should I stick to Sky Express and of their ATRs instead?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:18 pm

I don't understand your question, i.e. the logic behind it! Sky Express will only allow one pc of luggage, whose size depends on the kind of ticket you have (see below). Since you will only be allowed one piece, what is the base of preferring one versus the other? Scheduled departure? Price? You're the one to know!

According the fare you choose, your fare includes one (1) checked in baggage and one (1) handbaggage:
ALL IN. Your fare includes 1 checked in bag up to 25 kilos and one handbag up to 6 kilos.
PLUS. Your fare includes 1 checked in bag up to 15 kilos and one handbag up to 6 kilos.
JUST FLY. Your fare includes 1 checked in bag up to 13 kilos and one handbag up to 6 kilos.

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 15, 2018 at 8:16 pm Reason: added quote from Sky Express site
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by KLouis
I don't understand your question, i.e. the logic behind it! Sky Express will only allow one pc of luggage, whose size depends on the kind of ticket you have (see below). Since you will only be allowed one piece, what is the base of preferring one versus the other? Scheduled departure? Price? You're the one to know!
Thanks for your answer. You're right, something got lost in my post while editing it.

Never been to ATH before, but my point is that A3/OA scheduled arrival in ATH looks a bit tight at 18:05 as I'll have a flight with BA at 19:55. Benefits of *Gold such as a second free luggage, priority on getting my luggage back (I know this tends to be a joke) and even some points in one of my FFPs account within the alliance were playing some role here.

If none of this is true, maybe I should fly with Sky Express and that's it (ther have a departure form JTH around 16h). Do you have any tip about A3/OA reliability on schedule during summer? This JTR ATH is going to be on a Tuesday, if that makes any difference.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by AlexMC
Thanks for your answer. You're right, something got lost in my post while editing it.

Never been to ATH before, but my point is that A3/OA scheduled arrival in ATH looks a bit tight at 18:05 as I'll have a flight with BA at 19:55. Benefits of *Gold such as a second free luggage, priority on getting my luggage back (I know this tends to be a joke) and even some points in one of my FFPs account within the alliance were playing some role here.

If none of this is true, maybe I should fly with Sky Express and that's it (ther have a departure form JTH around 16h). Do you have any tip about A3/OA reliability on schedule during summer? This JTR ATH is going to be on a Tuesday, if that makes any difference.
On-time reliability is usually pretty good in general - both with A3 and GQ. Weather can play a bigger factor here in the islands than in other places as we have some very strong winds - even in summer, but the runways are well-oriented so it's rarely an issue at the bigger airports such as JTR. I wouldn't worry about the 1hr50 connection, even with having to collect and re-check a bag and then clear immigration. Having said that - GQ are absolutely fine and I would take the earlier flight since, as you say, there are no perks on offer.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by AlexMC

From my experience, OA/A3’s scheduled departure/arrival times are always not the most reliable ones, since there are very often small (but not minor) delays, usually around 20 to 40 mins. On the other hand, again from my experience, rarely are there very severe delays.

During summer months though delays occur more often than in the rest of the year. Morning flights leave pretty much on time, but as the day goes by delays accumulate, and the late night flights very often end up delayed by 45 to 60 mins. Since your flight is in late afternoon, my guess would be an expected delay of about half an hour. Personally I would go for Sky Express to be on the safe side, since in this case it would take a larger delay for you to miss your ATH-LHR flight. Note also that you will need to clear passport control in ATH after picking up / rechecking your bags. All the above having in mind of course that unexpected delays or issues can show up with any airline.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West
From my experience, OA/A3’s scheduled departure/arrival times are always not the most reliable ones, since there are very often small (but not minor) delays, usually around 20 to 40 mins. On the other hand, again from my experience, rarely are there very severe delays.

During summer months though delays occur more often than in the rest of the year. Morning flights leave pretty much on time, but as the day goes by delays accumulate, and the late night flights very often end up delayed by 45 to 60 mins. Since your flight is in late afternoon, my guess would be an expected delay of about half an hour. Personally I would go for Sky Express to be on the safe side, since in this case it would take a larger delay for you to miss your ATH-LHR flight. Note also that you will need to clear passport control in ATH after picking up / rechecking your bags. All the above having in mind of course that unexpected delays or issues can show up with any airline.
+1
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Please keep in mind that GQ also might have big delays in the summer, especially since the fleet is not that large and there is the "domino effect" - a propagated delay. Things have been improved lately, but consider yourself warned.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
So an interesting data point I took an Olympic flight today that started with O, from Athens to Crete. The flight was bought on the Aegean website but was clearly stated as an Olympic flight. When checking in I did get a priority sticker on my checked bag tag, however my companion on the same reservation did not. We also received fast track, priority boarding for star alliance gold. Not terrible but he only thing missing from the *A gold benefits was a dedicated check in area. YMMV
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by tiev
only thing missing from the *A gold benefits was a dedicated check in area. YMMV
You don't ,antion if you got lounge access? What about a free checked bag? Those are the two main benefits that people seem aggrieved about not getting on these pseudo-Olympic flights.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
You don't ,antion if you got lounge access? What about a free checked bag? Those are the two main benefits that people seem aggrieved about not getting on these pseudo-Olympic flights.
i checked in online prior to my flight and it indicated that I would get 2 checked bags with no cost, however I only checked one (free) so I am not sure if the second would have been honored. I did not have enough time at the airport in Athens to use the club. I am not sure if Aegan/Olympic have a lounge but I did see a Lufthansa lounge when I was going down to my gate, I did not try to use the lounge but I assume they would have honored a *A gold benefits.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
As annoying as this is, A3 is not the only one doing this. Lufthansa has Eurowings and provides no benefits for *A card holders unless you buy a more expensive fare type - same thing is true with OA.
I guess those strategies work to capture people in some cases.

Instead of pooling everything together:
I keep my A3*G because there are routes without J and I prefer to sit in the lounge at a table so that I can work (nowhere else at ATH or SKG that I know of other than lounges to use as work tables), and also because of the extra baggage allowance for OA flights (besides OA not being creditable to OA flights).

I keep my M&M*G because of access to certain award seats.

I keep my SQ PPS because of VA benefits...*

*Caveat that PPS can be double-dipped, which I do to M&M

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 1, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:36 pm

What else is frustrating about the OA/A3 trips(aside from the elite mileage aspect), is the fact that you still have to pick up your bags and re-check back in.....due to "OA not having an agreement with UA". It's one thing going into ATH from another country, and doing customs in ATH(which makes sense, this is the first point of entry).....but this "non-agreement" slows things down, going home in the other direction.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
What else is frustrating about the OA/A3 trips(aside from the elite mileage aspect), is the fact that you still have to pick up your bags and re-check back in.....due to "OA not having an agreement with UA". It's one thing going into ATH from another country, and doing customs in ATH(which makes sense, this is the first point of entry).....but this "non-agreement" slows things down, going home in the other direction.
Are you sure about that? Most (if not all) OA flights are code-shared with A3, thus your luggage can be interlined with all airlines with which A3 has an agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.