Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would expect luggage to be free on the return; especially since you have A3 flight numbers. What does your ticket/booking say?
Information
Aegean Airlines
A37355*
A3602
* Flight A37355 Operated by OLYMPIC AIR

For what it's worth, I just called Aegean / Olympic and they said that I would be able to check luggage for free on both legs.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by dchang1
Information
Aegean Airlines
A37355*
A3602
* Flight A37355 Operated by OLYMPIC AIR

For what it's worth, I just called Aegean / Olympic and they said that I would be able to check luggage for free on both legs.
It's not clear from your original post if your Gold status is with A3 or another *A member. If the former then you will have no problem, if it's the latter, then the agent was definitely mistaken for (1) - you would NOT get a free bag on ATH-JTR.

As for the other booking, when someone said "check the booking" I think they meant actually check it on the A3 site. on their 'my booking' page, it should clearly show your allowance so long as your *G number has been entered.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
It's not clear from your original post if your Gold status is with A3 or another *A member. If the former then you will have no problem, if it's the latter, then the agent was definitely mistaken for (1) - you would NOT get a free bag on ATH-JTR.
The OP's profile shows UA 1K, so the agent probably assumed dchang1 was A3*G and gave the answer they did.

As for the other booking, when someone said "check the booking" I think they meant actually check it on the A3 site. on their 'my booking' page, it should clearly show your allowance so long as your *G number has been entered.
^

As an aside, IME, you can never rely on a phone agent's words, regardless of airline/company/service, unless their statements can be documented in writing...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Yes, I meant to check the luggage allowance on the booking page. That should tell you exactly what you will get.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by airbust
I have yet to see other airlines do exactly the same, but I could be wrong. I believe the Aegean / Olympic confusion is worse - Tier and *numbers on boarding passes, flying Aegean metal, 1 in-flight magazine that mentions both airlines and Star Alliance, mention in their copy on the *website, etc, etc.
Agreed. I haven't been keeping up with this thread and flew MAD-ATH-JMK on July 4. First time on Aegean this year. The OA flight number for ATH-JMK confused me, as the magazine shows planes all in Aegean livery. I got to the lounge in ATH, was rejected, thought "ok, i guess it makes sense" and then used Priority Pass to get into the next lounge. Once I got to the flight to board, it was all Aegean branding, plane, staff and so as a 'regular' non-Aegean customer I thought it was all just odd. I checked luggage and had no issues in MAD, but still - weird experience, A3.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
i have an IST-ATH flight coming up, A3 flight number, but operated by OA. I am hoping that this is seen just as a wetlease and that I can access the TK lounge at IST. Good to know if anyone has any experience of this.

NB I have flown this route a few times before, normally an Airbus, but I presume during Summer that they use the Airbus for the busier holiday routes. Suppose it makes sense, but it means it's an all economy flight. I would have taken TK, but I am connecting to the islands.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72
...but it means it's an all economy flight. I would have taken TK, but I am connecting to the islands.
You would have flown business for the ~45 minutes long IST-ATH flight? What a waste of money!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:25 am

Does anyone have experience with the lounge at SKG post OA change? I've used it the last few summers going SKG-ATH on my way back to Canada.

I notice on Aegean's website, the Athens lounge section has asterix explanations of the OA/*A situation, but there's nothing on in the Thessaloniki paragraph.

I also noticed that Aegean's baggage section says Aegean AND Olympic and states that *A Gold members get a bag. The reading of it seems to indicate that goes on OA flights.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:14 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
We (2 adults including 1 LH*G and one child) are travelling CHQ A3 (op by OA) ATH LH MUC in Oct (LH ticket stock). I have understood the whole lounge and miles topic (including a potential workaround), however, one thing where I'd like to get clarification on is the *G benefit of an extra bag. Am I correct assuming that A3/OA will deny this benefit, because of the weird domestic setup for Greek domestic flights or is there a chance, based on MSC rules, that we will get granted an extra checked bag at checkin at CHQ?

Thx,
cas_de
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The MSC rule would not help you I suspect, if you don't have a luggage allowance on the first leg, you probably also would not on the second? Note that luggage allowances based on FF status does not apply with the MSC rule..
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:10 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Xandrios
The MSC rule would not help you I suspect, if you don't have a luggage allowance on the first leg, you probably also would not on the second? Note that luggage allowances based on FF status does not apply with the MSC rule..
Thanks - we do have 1PC / 23 kg allowance per person, but might need the additional bag that I normally get via LH*G. If A3/OA charges me for such a bag at CHQ, would the domestic rate or the Shorthaul European rate apply (technically, I have the additional allowance on the connecting segment ATH LH MUC)?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cas_de
Thanks - we do have 1PC / 23 kg allowance per person, but might need the additional bag that I normally get via LH*G. If A3/OA charges me for such a bag at CHQ, would the domestic rate or the Shorthaul European rate apply (technically, I have the additional allowance on the connecting segment ATH LH MUC)?
Check your ticket. It should state exactly what your allowance is.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
I haven't booked my flights yet, but if I book an SKG-ATH-LHR go light ticket as a *G, is there a chance I can pay for additional allowance ONLY for the domestic part (SKG-ATH) since I only need one piece of checked-luggage for the whole journey?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ronald55
I haven't booked my flights yet, but if I book an SKG-ATH-LHR go light ticket as a *G, is there a chance I can pay for additional allowance ONLY for the domestic part (SKG-ATH) since I only need one piece of checked-luggage for the whole journey?

Thanks in advance.
You need to call A3 and ask I guess, but I believe what they'll tell you is that you'll get the extra allowance on the domestic sector for free. someone else had the same question the last week(s) and called A3.

I believe the reason is that the most significant carrier is used to calculate baggage allowance, and in your case that's clearly A3(4h flight vs 50 min one)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As a UA Star Gold, I'm shocked by this. I travel to Greece every summer, booked my ATH-HER flight on Aegean with the simple fact I was booking a star alliance airline and Inwould have free baggage. No warning when I booked this, if I'm not mistaken, it's the "operating carrier" that provides the benefits. Technically I should be allowed free luggage. As far as a cheap fare, not really as it was almost 200.00 each.

I'll make sure next year I book away and this family of 5 will no longer fly A3 or Olympic. They should clearly warn on booking that this flight does NOT get any Gold benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.