Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

What do you think, will Aegean ever start flights to the USA?

What do you think, will Aegean ever start flights to the USA?

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Yreal
I don't see the problem with the a321xlr. Aegean already does some flights that go quite far, so if they see a market, why not?

I think Kuwait is the furthest now? If it works, it works. I could see a case for Addis Ababa for connections. South Africa? Bangkok? Doesn't sound farfetched to me, it's basicly the same reason that aer lingus works for eu-usa. I know a lot of people connect to South Africa in Dubai, Athens would be a lot faster.

makes more sense to me then Casablanca or Tunis. But then again, I don't run an airline, so what do I know.
A3 and ATH doesnt have the Asian/South Asian connection and traffic and government backing that made DXB possible to be what it had become on the global aviation map. And that ship whereby ATH maybe could have played the role of DXB or even IST in global aviation has sailed already, with Greece having missed that boat on which it has no chance to get on now.

A3s ATH-Morocco service would be a longer flight than ATH-Kuwait.

A3 and ATH really shouldnt gamble and bite on more than they can chew. Expansion and more complicated fleet mix are costly risks for an airline, and I would hope this airline would rather choose the devil it knows than the devil it doesnt.
DELLAS and East_and_West like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Plus that the choice of aircraft is not the pivotal factor for A3 when it comes to this decision at this moment. Capacity considerations aside (which are of course important), establishing a new regular long-haul route involves high fixed and quasi-fixed costs, and is accompanied by significant amount of risk, especially if it is an airline's first one in a market. These factors are to a large extent invariant whether it is an A330, an A321XR,or a Cessna performing that route. As @GUWonder wrote, better to maintain a functional regional airline in ATH than switch to a potentially defunct international one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.