Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

For old-fashioned Greeks only: what a disappointment!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Was at the ATH lounge yesterday, looking forward to have these excellent Athenian nistissima kalitsounakia that they've had for several σαρακοστές, which you can't find in Crete! Tίποτα! Should start thinking of joining ST again!

PS Apologies to non-Greeks...
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You're joking about it; however earlier this week on the KL flight from ATH some people asked for fasting food - but they didn't load any!
Also I was surprised that at the Goldair lounge. Not only did they not have specific fasting food, they pretty much had no normal food that was acceptable either. Everything contains either cheese or some kind of meat product.

Flying Aegean in C next week Friday - very curious to see what they will serve!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Xandrios
You're joking about it; however earlier this week on the KL flight from ATH some people asked for fasting food - but they didn't load any!
Also I was surprised that at the Goldair lounge. Not only did they not have specific fasting food, they pretty much had no normal food that was acceptable either. Everything contains either cheese or some kind of meat product.

Now you have me curious whether they will at least offer nistisima on Megalh Paraskevh. Please do report back!

(Side note, and not that strange, but my wife flew A3 C a few years ago during the dekapentavgousto and reported that they only had artisima then as well. I understand why, but it was a bit surprising and disappointing to her...and to the despoti pou kathotan dipla!)
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That seems like a non-sequitur!

Besides, every KLM flight is a fasting flight for me - I don't eat that birdseed!!!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:45 am

Do report back and take some pics for the catering thread if indeed they do anything special.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That seems like a non-sequitur!
The (Greek) orthodox fasting is not like ramadan where you are not allowed to eat anything, but rather it is specific foods that are not allowed. For many it means that, while getting closer to easter, things like meat, diary and eventually even oil are reduced more and more. The last few days before easter pretty much everybody takes part and only very specific things are eaten.

Generally this includes shellfish, squid and other crustaceans as the most substantial things left to eat before easter. During that time you will be hard pressed to find any place to serve you something different - at least outside of the touristic areas.

Personally I use the situation to get (or make!) sushi these days, as it is one of the few 'normal' dishes which follow the fasting rules 100%. Few people around me like sushi so outside of this time I don't often have a chance to enjoy a tasty california roll

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Besides, every KLM flight is a fasting flight for me - I don't eat that birdseed!!!
pfff, don't get me started
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:55 pm

The (Greek) orthodox fasting is not like ramadan where you are not allowed to eat anything, but rather it is specific foods that are not allowed. For many it means that, while getting closer to easter, things like meat, diary and eventually even oil are reduced more and more. The last few days before easter pretty much everybody takes part and only very specific things are eaten.
I used to follow this tradition but like many and also the younger generation these days have to say I do not follow it anymore. I guess living abroad in a country with very different traditions and indeed time that Easter is celebrated adds to this.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:31 am
Original Poster

OK folks, I sit in the A3 lounge in ATH and I can't speak, as I have a kalitsounaki in my mouth! They're here...
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
OK folks, I sit in the A3 lounge in ATH and I can't speak, as I have a kalitsounaki in my mouth! They're here...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:08 pm

Inquiring minds are curious what your Good Friday experience was yesterday.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Tsk, tsk, tsk! He did report here...

Χρηστός ανέστη everybody and χρόνια πολλά και καλά.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Tsk, tsk, tsk! He did report here...

Χρηστός ανέστη everybody and χρόνια πολλά και καλά.
Sorry!

Αληθώς ανέστη, χρόνια πολλά και ευλογημένα.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Flew them today, one of the meal choices in business was lamb, and tsoureki also made an appearance I believe (I was half asleep), but other than this it was very subdued, no mageiritsa or real-time lamb roasting on board , no red painted eggs, and no menus or newspapers due to the Easter holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.