Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by KLouis
@benberg2013: Three days passed, any updates?
I replied to that email, that I didn't understand what they want from me, so they replied that in the past I have had 21 members in total attached to my together account, which I need to verify.
I have been travelling quite a bit lately, so I wrote to them, that I will not be able to get any of the IDs for a while maybe. We will see what they reply.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I replied to that email, that I didn't understand what they want from me, so they replied that in the past I have had 21 members in total attached to my together account, which I need to verify.
I have been travelling quite a bit lately, so I wrote to them, that I will not be able to get any of the IDs for a while maybe. We will see what they reply.
Not to be rude, but if you can email A3 about the delay, why can't you contact the 21 friends and family in your Together account?

You could say something along the lines of:

Hi friend/family,

You know how you let me create an Aegean account so that you could earn miles for your Star Alliance travel in MMM YYYY? Well, they're auditing my account and need proof that we actually know each other. Could you please send me a copy of your national ID/passport? Or, if you feel uncomfortable with that, could you send it directly to Aegean at [email protected] and reference my name and account number 987654321, as well as your account 123456789? And then let me know when you've done so? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!

benberg2013
Simple. Done.

On another note, I'm wondering why they specifically exclude passports when not all countries have national IDs. Would they simply not accept a copy of a passport sent to them?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think it's important to recognise that this is not going away if it's ignored - the only thing that will disappear is your account!

In my view, it's a very clear request from A3, and - apart from querying if they'd accept a passport if, say, any UK members were involved given we don't have ID cards - I really think you should be addressing this as a matter of urgency. Making a start is important, even if you can't get to everyone quickly.

You don't, from what you've said in the past, have anything to hide here, so why not simply do what A3 have asked of you? It's far simpler than trying to fight them if they choose to close your account down because they believe you are trying to bluster or buy time, which just makes you look guilty when the opposite is the case.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think it's important to recognise that this is not going away if it's ignored - the only thing that will disappear is your account!

In my view, it's a very clear request from A3, and - apart from querying if they'd accept a passport if, say, any UK members were involved given we don't have ID cards - I really think you should be addressing this as a matter of urgency. Making a start is important, even if you can't get to everyone quickly.

You don't, from what you've said in the past, have anything to hide here, so why not simply do what A3 have asked of you? It's far simpler than trying to fight them if they choose to close your account down because they believe you are trying to bluster or buy time, which just makes you look guilty when the opposite is the case.
+1
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I have started sending emails requesting these documents as mentioned above. (Though it is very annoying), and some of these were booked as groups.

When logging into my account, everything seems normal, except that the option to "spend miles" and "my coupons" have been removed.
I did however, manage yesterday to use my last upgrade coupon for a friend, by calling up the call centre.

Not sure why they want ID cards not Pports.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
i gave them passports even if they explicitly said they want national ids.. they did not have any issues with it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:47 am

I read the M+B T&Cs carefully (also between the lines ) and, indeed, there is nothing there that prohibits what was described here, namely Together accounts that exploit the fact that there are *A users who don't really care about miles in any FF program. I think, therefore, that people who've been "reviewed" don't really risk much if they provide M+B with the IDs/passports of the Together account members in a reasonable time, showing this way that they are real people that the member knows.

I don't have a Together account myself, and my wife used up almost all of her miles so, personally, I don't really care about what I can see coming: what if M+B decides to abolish that "perk" if they think that their system is being "abused" (if they didn't think so, they would not be reviewing these unusual accounts). People will be .....ing about the program (and the airline) for taking back what they had given, etc., etc., but the real culprit would be the actual exploitation of a weak system that has been designed to "help" families or groups of friends with "unbalanced" flying habits, rather than flying for free based on other people's ticket purchase.

Just my 2˘...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
21 might be considered a little excessive
I guess the benberg family will have to find a new means of transport...

Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
People will be .....ing about the program (and the airline) for taking back what they had given, etc., etc., but the real culprit would be the actual exploitation of a weak system that has been designed to "help" families or groups of friends with "unbalanced" flying habits, rather than flying for free based on other people's ticket purchase.
Most similar household account schemes restrict who can be added to the account - usually just immediate or in some cases extended family. None of the others were as liberal as M&B in permitting "Friend" as a category. If anything, that is where any "abuse" may have occurred and where any restrictions should be implemented if necessary.

Full disclosure : My wife has added and removed about 15 people from her account over the last couple of years. Most (8) are family members, but there are also 7 co-workers who simply didn't care about their miles and were happy to let her collect them. Two of the others have Silver status in their own right as well so they are definitely real people who fly a fair bit. No issues (yet) from M&B.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Seeing more and more people are being audited after buying bonus miles, I am bumping this thread to share a similar but very extreme story. I have never had any problems with audit by any company but the way and language used by the Loyalty Fraud department at A3 has been unprofessional at best.

About a year ago, all member accounts in my Together account were suspended but were all immediately restored once passport copies were sent. I have read the stuff here about the reason of the raised suspicion such as taking flights on the same day without considering time difference. I have to say some of the things this person said was impossible to comprehend. For example, my wife used her name to reply to him on behalf of our son and he replied and questioned us why we were using another person's email. Our son was only 6 years old and we were his legal guardian. This was explained in the email but he chose not to see it. I guess he just couldn't wait to treat everyone as a suspect.

A year later, the same person suspended all of us again. This time he did not ask for any proof but outright terminated all our accounts. I called him personally at the number in his email and using very rude language he accused me of using the Together account as a business, saying the miles had been used by strangers. Nothing he said was true. All miles were accrued and redeemed with the family. I offered to provide proof that all members are relatives but he was not interested and said he was not police and the program belonged to him not me and there was nothing to discuss. He also suggested me going to court if I wished to take him on. He then hung up the phone. I emailed him back proof anyway including letters from government indicating our immigration status with a list of family members. He then replied and said the last names were not the same so we are not a family. At this point, I am speechless. Who says family members must have the same surnames? My wife never changed her last name to mine as it's not our culture to do so. And she also has a stepfather. Why are all of these so hard to comprehend?

In the end I wrote a long email to their CEO and their guest relations department. Finally, a lady with much better English ability and general social skills got back to me and asked me to provide ID proof and utility bill. All accounts were finally restored after that. It was a month long wait and caused me a huge deal of stress. I don't know how many other people who may not know how to take it further would have lost all their miles and for A3 to erase this liability from their books in this way, to me is a fraud in itself.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It sounds like they need some multicultural training.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
he was not interested and said he was not police and the program belonged to him not me and there was nothing to discuss. He also suggested me going to court if I wished to take him on. He then hung up the phone. I emailed him back proof anyway including letters from government indicating our immigration status with a list of family members. He then replied and said the last names were not the same so we are not a family. At this point, I am speechless. Who says family members must have the same surnames? My wife never changed her last name to mine as it's not our culture to do so. And she also has a stepfather. Why are all of these so hard to comprehend?
Wow that sounds like a grueling experience. Sad to see how this department (guy? seems like the same guy for all these instances) is treating people without first conducting reasonable due diligence on the matter...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by swgsword
Wow that sounds like a grueling experience. Sad to see how this department (guy? seems like the same guy for all these instances) is treating people without first conducting reasonable due diligence on the matter...
Yes, same guy. I suspect there is only one person in this department. I still don't get the need for audits when an account has had miles accrued automatically from an international flight. He should know better that an international flight requires a passport and the identity would have already been verified. He is just wasting his time and totally abusing his power. Of course, retro claims are another matter. I would understand better if he investigated an account that only has miles retro claimed.

On the other hand, the customer relations team handled the issue beautifully. There are apparently much more competent people at A3 than one person.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:24 am

Half Year ago I make award booking for F flight LAX-LHR booking is for February 2020
Yesterday I received email to validate my account and all present and pass tougher accounts if me friends and family don't comply my booking will not be valid.

It's a mess, they sending to 4 year old email to provide national ID and utility with billing address,
this 2 things is impossible to me to do First our kids don't have national ID, only passports

second it's just kids and do pay for anything .
One friend thinks what this email is phishing attempt and will not send any ID to them because he was suspect of fraud due BA database leaking (he credited his 3000 miles to my together account)
In total I have 90k on my account now available due been Aegean Gold for 5 years and they treat me like fraudster

It's very disappointed
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by Garimi
Half Year ago I make award booking for F flight LAX-LHR booking is for February 2020
Yesterday I received email to validate my account and all present and pass tougher accounts if me friends and family don't comply my booking will not be valid.

It's a mess, they sending to 4 year old email to provide national ID and utility with billing address,
this 2 things is impossible to me to do First our kids don't have national ID, only passports

second it's just kids and do pay for anything .
One friend thinks what this email is phishing attempt and will not send any ID to them because he was suspect of fraud due BA database leaking (he credited his 3000 miles to my together account)
In total I have 90k on my account now available due been Aegean Gold for 5 years and they treat me like fraudster

It's very disappointed
just for our understanding. Does any of the account clocked any A3 metals before? for data point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.