Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Just like many FF programs A3 will act on anything suspicious to prevent fraud against A3 themselves or to member accounts. I welcome such moves but of course when it happens to be your account under scrutiny then it can be a pain when it is 100% legit.
While I agree in general, what A3 did here is just a joke. An airline employee should know that there are time differences and threatening to close the OP's account within 5 days when a simple search on NH's website or indeed the ticket would have cleared things up is simply unnacaptable and outright rude IMHO.

And then, when the OP explained the concept of time difference to them - instead of covering their faces in embaressment - they requested further documentation from him instead of just checking the ticket. This episode should be reviewd by the competent supervisor IMHO.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
While I agree in general, what A3 did here is just a joke. An airline employee should know that there are time differences and threatening to close the OP's account within 5 days when a simple search on NH's website or indeed the ticket would have cleared things up is simply unnacaptable and outright rude IMHO.

And then, when the OP explained the concept of time difference to them - instead of covering their faces in embaressment - they requested further documentation from him instead of just checking the ticket. This episode should be reviewd by the competent supervisor IMHO.
^

The fact that the all-clear arrived three minutes after submission of the boarding passes suggests someone suddenly realised their department had dropped a massive ball and was doing their very best to cover up.

It's absolutely shameful that the OP was more than inconvenienced in this charade - a conversation about the time difference should have been the end of the matter, even if it erroneously had reached that stage. I think I'd have been a little less co-operative, frankly.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
^

I think I'd have been a little less co-operative, frankly.
I think the more level headed and correct way to do things is to co-operate and then when it is sorted which now it seems it has been would be to make a formal complaint and make sure it gets to a manager. Not co-operating may have indeed lead to an account being shut and caused more of a headache. ^
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:37 am
Community Director

I think the more level headed and correct way to do things is to co-operate and then when it is sorted which now it seems it has been would be to make a formal complaint and make sure it gets to a manager. Not co-operating may have indeed lead to an account being shut and caused more of a headache. ^
But the point is, I wouldn't have been able to co-operate. All I'd have probably had left was a record of my previous trips in MyFlightsApp. Most people wouldn't even have that. Sure, if it's easy for me, I'd be helpful - but the fact is it would be incredibly hard for me to provide what was asked for. In those circumstances, I don't see why I shouldn't force the burden of proof back onto A3.

I'd certainly, given the nature of the snafu, be complaining early on as well, not after resolution.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:49 am

You provide all you have and if the person concerned was not having any of it then you would raise the bar and demand a manager. Usually things can be worked out. The fact the OP had the documents requested resolved it quicker. Had he genuinely not had them then it would have moved to a new level.

Personally had he not have had them so could not provide them I think they would have had to come to another solution. Had the agent not budged then that is the time to start threatening Facebook and Twitter action.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:01 am
Community Director

Had the agent not budged then that is the time to start threatening Facebook and Twitter action.
Yes, absolutely - that's the sort of non co-operation I'm talking about. Well, perhaps with a additional bit of polite verbal pressure on A3 to me feel better as well .

In fairness, it's not a bad standard e-mail, which is much less threatening than those sent by AA, for example - but the handling afterwards is just utterly unprofessional and downright customer unfriendly.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by swgsword
I actually had said "I don't know if I have my boarding passes anymore," and he said something along the lines of "we need the boarding passes to validate it. If you don't have it you have to send us as much information as you can." He later also said the ticketing receipt wouldn't suffice... until I realized I actually kept all the boarding passes in the side pocket of my laptop bag.
With the advent of smartphone apps to store boarding passes I can't help wondering how these 'we need to see the actual boarding pass' situations will be dealt with in the future. Already it's around a year since I last boarded an A3 flight (or ANY, come to think of it) with anything over than my phone. Before that it was at least three years of OLCI screen prints. Surely if the airline know your PNR, can see that you checked in and that you weren't bumped from the flights, how can sending them a tattered piece of paper make any difference?

In this situation, with all the flights on one PNR it's ridiculous that they even got as far as sending you the initial email.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Surely if the airline know your PNR, can see that you checked in and that you weren't bumped from the flights, how can sending them a tattered piece of paper make any difference?

How can A3 access the PNR of another airlines system? Sadly it does not work like that. If it was an A3 PNR then they surely could but not all Star members share one big reservations GDS. If only it were that simple.

I am sure a screenshot of a MBP would suffice too. I always keep mine in Passbook so that gets around the issue.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
How can A3 access the PNR of another airlines system? Sadly it does not work like that. If it was an A3 PNR then they surely could but not all Star members share one big reservations GDS. If only it were that simple.
And I think that once the entire ticket has been flown, the PNR dies shortly after.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
And I think that once the entire ticket has been flown, the PNR dies shortly after.
It does indeed but for certain purposes it can be retrieved. There are some data protection restrictions where it is not ''supposed'' to be retrieved but can be for certain disputes. Usually it can be requested then comes back into the live system after 24 hours. Of course it depends on the system being used.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Most airlines' systems allow "easy" access to PNRs up to 30 days after the last segment is flown. A "more super" user has access to the global database of ticket numbers up to 30 days after the last segment was flown.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold

I am sure a screenshot of a MBP would suffice too. I always keep mine in Passbook so that gets around the issue.
Star Alliance uses a common database to distrubute miles through all member's programs. The operating carrier feeds the data needed for milage accural into the database and it is the responsibility of every FFP to periodically fetch the data for their FFP fom the database an allocate the miles to individual accounts.

Instead of threatening the FFP to close his account within 5 days, the A3 people could have checked the database manually and - if no other means are available to them - verify the validity of this itinerary on NH's public website. It's not rocket science.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Wow, bizarre (and not cool)...

I *always* check in online and have a copy sent to my email address (I need my boarding passes anyway because my travel is 90% work-related, so it's a habit).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The fact that is worrying about this is the threat to shut down account and cancel all ticketed bookings within 5 days, if the OP didn't respond, especially for something dumb like this. What if the OP had missed the email?

I would like to think that they would have the common sense to try to reach him again, but after this I am not so sure about their common sense, either.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyEurope
Star Alliance uses a common database to distrubute miles through all member's programs. The operating carrier feeds the data needed for milage accural into the database and it is the responsibility of every FFP to periodically fetch the data for their FFP fom the database an allocate the miles to individual accounts.

Instead of threatening the FFP to close his account within 5 days, the A3 people could have checked the database manually and - if no other means are available to them - verify the validity of this itinerary on NH's public website. It's not rocket science.
The last time I checked they did not have full access to the PNR. Are you saying that is not true? Or are you just saying some data is fed to the system which I am aware of. Also there are many instances of information not feeding through the system to various Star FFP members. Even the more well known ones and then physical proof needs to be obtained from the member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.