Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Hand luggage / in cabin carry on - how strict?

Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

We will be traveling from Athens to Tallinn on Aegean on a "Go Light" ticket. How strictly does aegean enforce the hand luggage size allowance?

We will travel with one carry on (US sized roller board) and one personal item (handbag / tote bag). We do not like to check bags because carriers have lost / damaged / delayed too many bags in the past! Additionally, the fee for paying for a checked bag at the airport is exorbitant (40!). Prepaying for a checked bag is cheaper but non refundable, preference is to carry on everything.

My question is: How strictly does Aegean enforce in cabin luggage rules on intra European flights? We will check on online and do not plan to go to the ticketing counter. I am Silver on Star Alliance and do not get me the free baggage allowance.

Thank you!!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: A3 *G
I personally think you'll be OK but I guess it depends on how busy the flight is. Are you flying now, in high season, or in the middle of February? I only ever take my proper allowance but on quiet flights I've seen people come aboard with two or three carry-ons and not be challenged. As a generalisation, they really don't seem to be as strict as some other airlines but, as I say, I fly mostly in low season.

The official allowance is 25cm x 45cm x 56cm and 8kg max. but no extra "personal item" is mentioned on the website. http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...cabin-baggage/

Also, you say "we" will have a roll-aboard and a tote-bag. Is that one person, two, six? And is that one of these each or in total?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks. We would easily pass the US hand carry rules - two people with 1 US roller board, 1 duffel bag that fits the strict European hand carry rules, and 2 tote bags (the personal items per US rules). The roller board has been gate checked on non US carriers but we have never had to pay a fee because we originated on a US carrier or the non US carrier had a baggage allowance.

Our flight next week looks completely empty, so it seems this is low season for the route.

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I personally think you'll be OK but I guess it depends on how busy the flight is. Are you flying now, in high season, or in the middle of February? I only ever take my proper allowance but on quiet flights I've seen people come aboard with two or three carry-ons and not be challenged. As a generalisation, they really don't seem to be as strict as some other airlines but, as I say, I fly mostly in low season.

The official allowance is 25cm x 45cm x 56cm and 8kg max. but no extra "personal item" is mentioned on the website. http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...cabin-baggage/

Also, you say "we" will have a roll-aboard and a tote-bag. Is that one person, two, six? And is that one of these each or in total?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Please be aware, that this flight is within the EU and nobody cares how it works in the US and the allowances there. In addition to the limited size of carry-on baggage, there's also a limit of weight in the EU, A3 accepts bags up to 8kgs / 17.6lbs in the cabin.

With GoLight fares (without checked bags included), they're quite strict to enforce their carry-on rules.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks. It's helpful to know that aegean is strict about hand luggage rules for the go light fares. Most US carriers are not. Who would inspect the bag size and process the fare? The gate agent? I am checking in online and the case looks like hand carry size and is coming with me through security.

I found this on the aegean website: "If your hand baggage is over the permissible size, as determined by the baggage sizers located at all departure gates, we will ask that you check the bag for transport in the cargo hold. In this case, you will be given a baggage claim receipt and you can collect your bag at the baggage claim carousel at your destination airport. You will then be charged if the weight exceeds your free weight allowance, as determined by your ticket. You should also make sure to first remove any objects that are unsuitable for transport in the cargo hold (e.g. laptops, cameras, etc.) before checking the bag."

Based on the website, looks like weight governs whether a passenger with "oversized" hand luggage is charged rather than size in the event the bag must be checked.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by missko
...Based on the website, looks like weight governs whether a passenger with "oversized" hand luggage is charged rather than size in the event the bag must be checked.
Well, no, size does matter (). Very often when the flight is full an A3 agent will go around at the gate and ask people to check their luggage. (S)he does it based on "volume" and not weight.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Strict as the rules and it's a VERY good thing.
Tired of people doing scandal because they can't check in with a huge handlugguage or i don't know how many bags. It's a question of confort for everybody.
They are rules, they have to be strict and people to respect them.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop... I did fly on that aegean flight from Athens to Tallinn. the gate agents did not inspect, restrict or gate check hand luggage. The flight was crowded but had a few empty seats. everyone had room in the overhead bins for hand luggage and personal items. I never did ask about personal items but many people had them in addition to hand luggage. The plane was a new a320 and the overhead bins easily absorbed roller boards, including my 22" / 55cm roller board.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
It's also my experience flying A3. On one flight shortly after New Year SKG-CHQ it seemed that almost every passenger had at least two or three hand luggage items (the 2nd and 3rd all being boxes of cake from a famous Thessaloniki patisserie.. forgot the name, Greek people probably know what I'm talking about). Nobody ever made a problem out of it!

As long as it's just a normal sized hand luggage, anything reasonable like a box of cake or a small laptop bag seemed perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
...(the 2nd and 3rd all being boxes of cake from a famous Thessaloniki patisserie.. forgot the name, Greek people probably know what I'm talking about)...
Yep, these are σοροπιαστά or γλυκά του ταψιού. Great, but careful, though! By even reading Romanianflyer's post you risking falling into a hyperglycaemic shock if diabetic!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yep, these are σοροπιαστά or γλυκά του ταψιού. Great, but careful, though! By even reading Romanianflyer's post you risking falling into a hyperglycaemic shock if diabetic!
Actually after looking it up actually most ppl had cakes from Τερκενλής - mostly dark chocolate like ones!

Needless to say, there is a looot out there in SKG that makes you fat )) great city for the ones that like good food!

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Sep 5, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
My general impression is that they never check the weight. It's been ages since I last saw them checking the volume and probably never after the implementaion of the golight fares. I've seen them loads of times to check for free even oversized hand luggage on full flights
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:59 am

Hi people,

High season's end, fully booked flight - everybody seemed to have 3 or even more pieces of hand luggage and despite this nobody even bothered to take any action!

Might be good for some, but caused a terrible delay due to boarding issues obviously....
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by goqsane
Hi people,

High season's end, fully booked flight - everybody seemed to have 3 or even more pieces of hand luggage and despite this nobody even bothered to take any action!

Might be good for some, but caused a terrible delay due to boarding issues obviously....
I find that strange. My experience is that on packed flights the gate agent first announces that they'll be collecting extra carry-ons and large (volume-wise) pieces and they do go around doing exactly that in a rather strict way! I've often experienced this in both ATH and HER. "Terrible" delays are usually due to other reasons (e.g. traffic above airport, congestion in European airspace, etc.). Was this in Greece or somewhere else? A regular flight or a charter?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I find that strange. My experience is that on packed flights the gate agent first announces that they'll be collecting extra carry-ons and large (volume-wise) pieces and they do go around doing exactly that in a rather strict way! I've often experienced this in both ATH and HER. "Terrible" delays are usually due to other reasons (e.g. traffic above airport, congestion in European airspace, etc.). Was this in Greece or somewhere else? A regular flight or a charter?
Hey KLouis, ATH-BRU on the 9th of September. They did indeed announce the collection of extra carrry-ons but only like 3 people bothered!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.