Search

Breakfast at ATH ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
Breakfast at ATH ?

Hi -

Looking for some opinions on breakfast at the ATH lounges - I will be frying out of ATH to CHQ on a 0800 flight......(will be staying at the Sofitel at the airport but breakfast is not included).

Since I am *G and flying on A3, I believe I can go into either the A3 or LH lounges at ATH.

Which one would be best for breakfast food ? (and are there any hot items on offer ?)

I also have Airport Angel access if that is a better option - but I am not sure of the terminal layout in relation to the lounges - and this will be a domestic Greek flight.

What do those of you who have been there suggest ?

Thanks !
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by pkfk13
Hi -

Looking for some opinions on breakfast at the ATH lounges - I will be frying out of ATH to CHQ on a 0800 flight......(will be staying at the Sofitel at the airport but breakfast is not included).

Since I am *G and flying on A3, I believe I can go into either the A3 or LH lounges at ATH.

Which one would be best for breakfast food ? (and are there any hot items on offer ?)

I also have Airport Angel access if that is a better option - but I am not sure of the terminal layout in relation to the lounges - and this will be a domestic Greek flight.

What do those of you who have been there suggest ?

Thanks !
As a star A Gold, you can try them both. The LH lounge has superior food and more hot items, but it is smaller and less inviting and has no restrooms. I will start with the LH lounge and if there is time, I will go to the A3 one as well.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Without doubt the LH lounge for some supertasty bougatsa (and many other offerings). Goes well together with a glass of champagne too
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I don't know what they were, but the A3 lounge had (when we were there) some really tasty pastries filled with cheese. And then the yogurt/honey option, plus bread and assorted non-cheese-based pastry options. Coffee selection was sufficiently broad, so I had to try them all. That was one energetic day.

Could you also just lounge-hop? They're really close together...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions folks !
I havent been to ATH before ,so with an 0800 flight I wanted to not waste too much time looking for the best eats !
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
I've never been there for breakfast, but IMHO, at other times, the LH lounge wins hands down for its food offerings, comfortable seating and relative tranquility. Of course, the 2 lounges are virtually side by side, so it's extremely easy to visit both.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by pkfk13
Hi -

Looking for some opinions on breakfast at the ATH lounges - I will be frying out of ATH
The lounges don't provide any fryable goods, so be sure to bring your own!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
LH lounge for breakfast hands down

Actually A3s lounge catering is really dissappointing, a complete disaster I would say, the only nice offering are the sandwiches offered at lunchtime and the wines from the business class wine list

A3 should fix this ASAP
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thank-you folks for the input ! LH lounge will be my first stop then !
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
LH lounge for breakfast hands down

Actually A3s lounge catering is really dissappointing, a complete disaster I would say, the only nice offering are the sandwiches offered at lunchtime and the wines from the business class wine list

A3 should fix this ASAP
I agree that the LH lounge is better in terms of food offered, but you are definitely too harsh when you say that the A3 catering is a complete disaster. Either you haven't been at most US lounges I've visited (I'm not comparing for obvious reasons with the ~20 African lounges I've had a chance of spending time in), or we have completely different tastes (except for the shared opinion on the LH lounge ).
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KLouis
I agree that the LH lounge is better in terms of food offered, but you are definitely too harsh when you say that the A3 catering is a complete disaster. Either you haven't been at most US lounges I've visited (I'm not comparing for obvious reasons with the ~20 African lounges I've had a chance of spending time in), or we have completely different tastes (except for the shared opinion on the LH lounge ).
I think, perhaps, the scant pickings might be the issue here. I'd actually love to know how good A3's catering really is, but sadly on the (admittedly limited compared to many here) occasions I've been in the lounge actually finding a container that had something to eat in it has been something of a challenge.

This has meant, of course, that I've had to ensure my calorific intake was boosted by consumption of alcohol instead, so please be assured I am in no way complaining .
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

This has meant, of course, that I've had to ensure my calorific intake was boosted by consumption of alcohol instead, so please be assured I am in no way complaining .
The drinks sound good - but not before an 0800 flight - eeek !!
(well maybe champagne and orange juice !)
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: A3 *G, ex LH FTL
A mimosa or two for breakfast will make your day smooth, a friend used to say (before she went to rehab).
I would be careful with A3 sparkling wine - others say it is not very good.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:22 am

It actually depends on what time of day it is and different times can give a very different impression of the lounge. Recently in the LH lounge it was very mediocre and not the offerings that some here rave about. That being said A3 do need to up their game in the food offerings in day time. It would not cost that much to offer a Moussaka or similar one veg option one meat.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
BA and LH at LHR have got me spoiled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.