Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
LX22, GVA-JFK. Upgraded from paid bulkhead in Y to J as a Star Gold.

I'll take it!
GBobon likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: A3*G
Upgraded at the gate on Brussels Airlines BRU-BLQ from Flex&Fast to Business - overbooked in Y.
unusualtravelblog likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Don't even remember when the last time I was upgraded was, but it finally happened yesterday: IST-TXL on a TK A330 (lie-flat seats!). As far as I could tell, it was not a full flight, and some of us got upgraded at the gate.

A quick comparison with A3 biz, though a bit unfair to compare to a widebody aircraft (the hard product was of course much, much nicer - seat, IFE, etc.):
- FAs and general impression of the service was mediocre IMO. It seems to me that A3 FAs are so much nicer to you, and will go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed. TK FAs seem nice enough, but a bit... robotic, going through the motions.
- The food: The seafood starter was probably the best I have ever had, and made me have high expectations for the main. That turned out to be quite tasty, but A3's mains are an order of magnitude more refined/sophisticated. I had a simple satay chicken breast and rice - a bit underwhelming compared to the starter...

The kick in the teeth was that they lost my luggage - not fun at all, especially since TXL is a disgrace of an airport, and filing a report is a frustrating and time-consuming experience. I am so worried I will never get it back
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Gate upgrade on SK ARN - HEL from Go to Plus. No red beep, just a small paper with updated seat was printed automatically after scanning my BP.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: A3*G
Was upgraded during check-in on BR AMS-BKK from Y to Y+. Not bad for such a long flight.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: *G, OWS
This year (to date):

DUS-LIS on TAP, upgrade from Y to C for me and my SO (she's without status)
IST-HAJ on TK, upgrade from Y to C (expensive full-flex ticket) - after an equipment swap to a machine with a "real" business class
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by frogster
IST-HAJ on TK, upgrade from Y to C (expensive full-flex ticket) - after an equipment swap to a machine with a "real" business class
Do you know whether Y was overbooked or you were just given the upgrade based on the full-flex ticket and generous staff?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
Do you know whether Y was overbooked or you were just given the upgrade based on the full-flex ticket and generous staff?
it seems as if it was overbooked - they were walking around the gate area talking to people (possibly to inquire about bumping them)

They filled up business class completely with upgrades. Not sure if it was due to an equipment swap (HAJ-IST was served with Intra-Europe BC not the nice seats as on the return), overbooking or IRROPS...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:16 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by frogster
DUS-LIS on TAP, upgrade from Y to C for me and my SO (she's without status)
Overbooked? I have 2 medium-haul flights with TAP in Dec...

two weeks ago I flew OTP-IST-ECN-ESB-IST-OTP with THY but no upgrade. I was on a very discounted fare on OTP-IST (A333 fully booked) OTP-IST (new B738 not so full0 and not so cheap on the other etix.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by GBobon
Overbooked? I have 2 medium-haul flights with TAP in Dec...
Or at the very least close to overbooked - but that was in the last week of May with a public holiday Thursday that week (and beeing booked in C for the return anyways)...
GBobon likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
first upgrade on ET

forgot to mention this from last month - upgrade from Y to J on ET ADD-JNB. BP beeped at the gate, looked busy but not over-booked down the back. A not-super-cheap econ ticket, but maybe my 20th segment on ET and first upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
TLV-ATH

Completely full flight.
got the beep at the gate.
Breakfast was not as good as I remembered it.
The best part is the C bus in ATH.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:52 pm

Upgraded on TK

I got a very pleasant surprise at the gate: upgrade to business class on TK flight IST-BKK. Good food, good service and flat bed. Not sure if it was because Y was full. At least 10 more seats in C remained empty.
GBobon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Got a double upgrade from LOT Premium to Business (me and my travel companion) after a red beep at gate. Before check-in, Premium had 3 seats free in the front row (B787-8) with the middle one blocked. I asked to move the 2 of us there and unblock the middle seat, and the CA did so. Both of us *A S, so I may not be in the best thread, but I believe it was a good experience to share! Such a great experience in the long haul LO flight PEK-WAW. The FA were lovely.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
ET644 ADD-HKG just got upgraded after a full flight....Nice suprise to get into Cloud 9 business class totally out of the blue.
I had to mention I am *A gold (via Aegean), and i would appreciate an upgrade on their new 787 business class.
Gate agent obliged and simply echanged my BP!

on22cz, blackball, ErnstH and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.