Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 4:41 am

I flew ATH-HER last week with one C-class passenger sitting in 1C; I was in 2D, behind the curtain. Everything behind me was packed.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:55 am

Indeed, it has happened to me. curtain can be at row 1 (esp. for domestic flights in super full A321s...)
Old May 18, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
yes

I was upgraded to first class for my AP reward from ICN to HKG in OZ from J, I had my A3 number attached to the ticket. Did not know until I board the plane and I was surprise.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I am travelling soon with a companion Tel Aviv to Athens, me in economy and my companion in business (There was only availability for 1 seat upgrade with the upgrade coupons on that flight) - can i expect the check in staff in TLV to agree to a free upgrade?
Old May 28, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I am travelling soon with a companion Tel Aviv to Athens, me in economy and my companion in business (There was only availability for 1 seat upgrade with the upgrade coupons on that flight) - can i expect the check in staff in TLV to agree to a free upgrade?
For what reason should A3 offer you a free upgrade?

If there's no operational reason (such as Y overbooked), you will just get what you paid for.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga

If there's no operational reason (such as Y overbooked), you will just get what you paid for.
Yep absolutely right!! ^^
Old May 28, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga

Will no check-in agent allow a complimentary upgrade for a gold member? (especially when there will be spare places in Business, and also my companion is traveling business)?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Will no check-in agent allow a complimentary upgrade for a gold member? (especially when there will be spare places in Business, and also my companion is traveling business)?
But just out of curiosity why would they do a complimentary upgrade even if the J cabin is completely empty and Y is not oversold? I don't get it, why? If you have an upgrade certificate or if your companion has an upgrade cert yes there is a possibility.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
But just out of curiosity why would they do a complimentary upgrade even if the J cabin is completely empty and Y is not oversold? I don't get it, why? If you have an upgrade certificate or if your companion has an upgrade cert yes there is a possibility.
Because they want you to pay for it in some way, shape or form? If that's A3's policy, that's their policy. This is not American with near unlimited free upgrades for Elites where paying for a revenue F seat is nearly unheard of ...*

* Obviously this is a gross exaggeration, but it does emphasise the difference between policy for most European and Asian airlines and the US ones ...
Old May 28, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Because they want you to pay for it in some way, shape or form? If that's A3's policy, that's their policy. This is not American with near unlimited free upgrades for Elites where paying for a revenue F seat is nearly unheard of ...*

* Obviously this is a gross exaggeration, but it does emphasise the difference between policy for most European and Asian airlines and the US ones ...

That is absolutely correct. They don't even allow you to put a waiting list on your business upgrade coupons, so if they see last day that C is empty, then you get upgraded. Happened to me twice, no C-award availability, but finally C was empty!
Old May 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Smile Got upgraded with just *A S

I flew with my girlfriend (which has no status) when I was just Silver and we got both upgraded to business on a ZRH-YVR already during the online checkin. Don't know why but I have to say that LX business is very cool :-D
Old May 31, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Swissfly
I flew with my girlfriend (which has no status) when I was just Silver and we got both upgraded to business on a ZRH-YVR already during the online checkin. Don't know why but I have to say that LX business is very cool :-D
The LX flights ZRH-YUL-ZRH are often overbooked in Y-cl and there are quite often free op-ups and cheap last minute upgrades for a few CHF...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
For the same three reasons that Avianca gives them on availability: to do something nice for status customers, it doesn't cost them anything extra and it's good publicity for their business class product...
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by sokolov
On UA, I have been upgraded from Economy Minus to Economy a couple of times when I still was A3 *S. It is nice, but not a massive difference.
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
UA - you might, outside the US, be lucky and get a Y+ seat for nothing
On UA most times the gate agents or even at check-in I was aasigned a Economy plus seat.

Another tip which always should work, is checking the seat map and very often there are no open seats in Economy and plenty open in Economy plus, call United and as a gold they will happily upgrade you to economy plus.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ELAL
On UA most times the gate agents or even at check-in I was aasigned a Economy plus seat.

Another tip which always should work, is checking the seat map and very often there are no open seats in Economy and plenty open in Economy plus, call United and as a gold they will happily upgrade you to economy plus.
Did you have UA gold when you got that upgrade? Would they do so for non-golds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.