Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: A3*
Longtime reader, first-time poster here.
Got upgraded a few days ago on AC BRU-YUL from Y to PY. AC 330's are being fit with PY at the moment and as only a few of these aircraft have it, to date, they don't sell the seats yet but rather upgrade status customers (including *G).

Only other upgrade out of 50+ A3*G flights was in summer 2015 from Y to J on AC YYZ-FRA when Y was overbooked.
Both upgrades happened at gate.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pewpew
Op up from PY to J on LH YUL-MUC. At check in, neither PY nor Y seemed full, but I'm not complaining
op up on AC172 Edmonton to Toronto today. Full flight. I was in the last row otherwise so this is quite welcome
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AznMadSci
So far, I have gotten a free upgrade from Y to J on BR's TPE-MNL route 3/4 times. The 3 times have been on the flight operate on their 77W and tried out their lie flat seat. Got upgraded at the gate those times. The only time and most recent time I didn't get upgraded was on BR 262 MNL-TPE flown on their A321s, despite having seats available.
What fare booking class did you book originally in y?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:30 am

Op up on PEK-ICN OZ332 on jan 2
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by A3brussels
Longtime reader, first-time poster here.
Got upgraded a few days ago on AC BRU-YUL from Y to PY. AC 330's are being fit with PY at the moment and as only a few of these aircraft have it, to date, they don't sell the seats yet but rather upgrade status customers (including *G).

Only other upgrade out of 50+ A3*G flights was in summer 2015 from Y to J on AC YYZ-FRA when Y was overbooked.
Both upgrades happened at gate.
Did you get PY service on-board as well or only better seat?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: A3*
Originally Posted by wonderpants
Did you get PY service on-board as well or only better seat?
It was only the better seat, no PY service (unfortunately ).

Quick update on another recent upgrade on AC: YUL-LHR, Dec 17, upgrade Y to C at the gate. Flight was full in Y due to snow chaos at the East Coast and they moved up roughly 15 pax from Y to C.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
What fare booking class did you book originally in y?
For my first upgrade on TPE-MNL-TPE, it was on an H fare. These flights were flown on a 77W and did not sell Elite Class tickets. The flights were oversold in Y due to Chinese New Year, and many Filipino-Americans returning for a visit.

A few months later, I got upgrade on TPE-MNL portion flown on the 77W on a W fare, which does not earn any miles on A3. The flight was probably 95% full in Y, and when I checked, no one had taken my middle seat that I had originally booked. The return MNL-TPE was flown on an A321. This early morning flight had plenty of openings, so MNL groundstaff did not do any upgrades.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
*Finally* got my second free upgrade on LH, after flying with A3*G status for so long (4-5 years now). Of course, my luck being what it is, it was only a 50 minute flight between MUC-TXL

Had a peek at the passenger list, there were ~10-12 SENs and FTLs in this full flight, and I seemed to be the only *G. Does anyone know if LH's FTLs are given priority over *G in the LH upgrades?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Received my first upgrade: Flying FRA-EWR in Economy Plus on United.

After boarding and getting settled in my E+ seat, the FA stopped at my seat and gave me a new BP for Business.

FA told me economy was overbooked and I was being upgraded due to my *Gold status.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by blackball
*Finally* got my second free upgrade on LH, after flying with A3*G status for so long (4-5 years now). Of course, my luck being what it is, it was only a 50 minute flight between MUC-TXL

Had a peek at the passenger list, there were ~10-12 SENs and FTLs in this full flight, and I seemed to be the only *G. Does anyone know if LH's FTLs are given priority over *G in the LH upgrades?

On LH status is second factor. The most important is booking class - pax without status on H fare ticket will get op-up before HON with K fare.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by SPlDER
On LH status is second factor. The most important is booking class - pax without status on H fare ticket will get op-up before HON with K fare.

Had quite a few op-ups on relatively cheap intra EU tickets on LH though
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Nice insight, thanks- And it makes sense, I was on a fairly expensive fare this time.

Kinda sucks for us *G's though...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
There are several reports in the LH forum (and in the German forum vielfliegertreff) that this is not the case anymore as there were quite some complaints from LH's loyal customers.

The latest info I have in mind for Upgrades from Y to C (or PY long-haul) is the following:

1.) Booking Classes S or higher applying the rule HON>SEN>*G>FTL>*S
and then if necessary
2.) Booking Classes T, E, L, K with the same rules as in 1.)

(LH fans doubting that SEN>*G is true)

Of course, there are always factors that might influence: last-second upgrade at gate, people travelling on your PNR, people travelling on another status passengers's PNR, etc.

I generally book S on LH for the M&B miles. Quite some upgrades between Germany and Spain
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
MUC-MAN. I'd booked a flex ticket and checked in with a friend who was on a basic ticket. Looks like our tickets got combined at check in because we both got upgraded 12C/D to 2D/F.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, DL
I was recently upgraded from on LH from AMS to FRA with a V booking class. Almost getting runover by a 747 while being bused to the FRA terminal was the highlight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.