Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long stopover/layover in Athens

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, yesterday morning they asked for my card (no scan, only visual) and they filled an invitation card with my details (name, flight, M&B number) that they... kept. Perhaps their scanner was not working and they needed this as "proof" that I was there.

PS Now I understood the "view" statements of some previous posts: Gate A13 was abolished and the lounge was expanded now reaching the windows. As of a few months ago it was much smaller.
They have to fill in this invitation if you don't have one from the check in (case when transfer) because it's the way they are paid by A3 for your stay at the lounge, this is why they keep it
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Thanks to every one for the excursion suggestions.

We just returned from one day in Thessaloniki and 1 day in Athens - we went to a restaurant in Monastiraki, and went to Acropolis - amazing views!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
5:45 Layover

Looking for advice:
Arriving at 7:35 from TLV, 5:45 layover and then leaving at 13:20 to DUS.
Any new recommendations for leaving the airport?
If not, how would you spend the time in the airport? A3 lounge vs LH lounge?

Thank you!

Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Considering the ~45 minutes trip, the fact that trains leave every 30 minutes, time from deplaning to station and from station to gate (through security!), I don't think it's worth leaving the airport. As for the lounge, why not split your stay visiting both? There are some who prefer the LH one to the A3 one (my personal preference is the latter). Also, visit the museum. It's a short visit and quite interesting!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:40 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
And if you do visit both lounges, keep in mind that the LH one is empty in the morning - but gets VERY full 11AM-1PM. They switch out the breakfast buffet for lunch at around 10:30-11:00AM I believe.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer
Looking for advice:
Arriving at 7:35 from TLV, 5:45 layover and then leaving at 13:20 to DUS.
Any new recommendations for leaving the airport?
If not, how would you spend the time in the airport? A3 lounge vs LH lounge?

Thank you!

Sadly not enough time to get to the city and back unless you want to kill time and only have about 30-45mins there. The train to Monastiraki takes 40 mins.Its also quite a lot of time to hang around the airport even using both lounges. Nothing near the airport except IKEA. Maybe go outside for a stroll near the Terminal then as KLouis suggests back in to the Museum on the upper level of the terminal. Then head back to the lounges.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Someone should build a cheap hotel next to the airport...urgently...Why there is only that Sofitel charging criminal rates...

Now that Uber is out of Greece, we are back to the old misery...onwards to the 19th century....!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:21 pm

...Now that Uber is out of Greece, we are back to the old misery...onwards to the 19th century....!
Uber as the epitome of progress!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by KLouis
Uber as the epitome of progress!
Back to the taxi mafia and the 50 euro rides to the airport! I am pretty sure they will also go back to the meter system soon, and the 60 euro scenic route taxi trips!

There is no progress or innovation in Greece, this is where progress goes to die...obviously...

Last edited by nk15; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, A3 Miles and Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Someone should build a cheap hotel next to the airport...urgently...Why there is only that Sofitel charging criminal rates...

Now that Uber is out of Greece, we are back to the old misery...onwards to the 19th century....!
Agree the loss of Uber X is awful (a political decision if ever there was one), but let’s not overdo the impact. We have a (frequent-ish) public transport service to the centre which is reliable and taxis aren’t that bad in Greece. The bad old days are far behind us, and I’ll still use Uber as a payment platform (I understand Uber will continue to operate their Uber Taxi service).

As for the hotel, I read an article in the press (in Greek here ) where they mention a start of construction of a budget hotel in 2018. It will be next to the IKEA, and there is no mention of the brand.

Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:36 am

Hotel in Athens

Agree that the hotel situation at ATH airport is really difficult. My yearly mileage runs do require a overnight in ATH, and usually it's a late arrival+early departure. Sure, the Sofitel is super convenient but I don't fancy paying double or triple from my air cost for the night there. There is Holiday Inn closeby too, but I never stayed there.

So in the past for me the only option was to take the rather fast bus to Voula or Glyfada and stay there, usually at a rather average hotel.

It's probably not a secret, but then I found out that there are tons of appartments, usually available through booking.com, in the towns directly north and especially East (Spata, Artenida). They are basic, yes, but but absolutely ok, a short drive, and usually the owner will pick you up and bring you back to the airport, often for free. They are super cheap and especially Artemida is a very lively town directly on the ocean, with a lot of restaurants, bars and even night clubs... So really not a bad place so in the future I am not even looking further...
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Reifel
Agree that the hotel situation at ATH airport is really difficult. My yearly mileage runs do require a overnight in ATH, and usually it's a late arrival+early departure. Sure, the Sofitel is super convenient but I don't fancy paying double or triple from my air cost for the night there. There is Holiday Inn closeby too, but I never stayed there.

So in the past for me the only option was to take the rather fast bus to Voula or Glyfada and stay there, usually at a rather average hotel.

It's probably not a secret, but then I found out that there are tons of appartments, usually available through booking.com, in the towns directly north and especially East (Spata, Artenida). They are basic, yes, but but absolutely ok, a short drive, and usually the owner will pick you up and bring you back to the airport, often for free. They are super cheap and especially Artemida is a very lively town directly on the ocean, with a lot of restaurants, bars and even night clubs... So really not a bad place so in the future I am not even looking further...
Could you recommend some places in Artemida that give free shuttle service? I just made a booking at one place on the basis of all the reviews on the front page saying that the shuttle service was free... but after booking it the host says it's 25EUR each for pickup and drop-off (he said he changed the policy several months ago). If I'm going to spend 50EUR on getting there and back it's cheaper to get the bus into Athens itself.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Full of hot air
We have a (frequent-ish) public transport service to the centre which is reliable and taxis aren’t that bad in Greece. The bad old days are far behind us
I have to slightly disagree here. Pretty much every taxi I have ever taken from or to the airport has tried to rip me off in some way. Using the nighttime fare during the evening, trying to convince me to pay extra for tolls, coming up with a 15 euro 'airport surcharge' over what the meter shows or getting a second passenger - charging the full price for both. And never ever are they willing to give a receipt, at best you get one from another fare earlier that day.

So yes I also go for the public transport by default. But the bus sucks as they are outdated and overly full (x93 anyways), and a couple of times I have had the bus engine cut out midway during the trip! The driver was able to restart both cases by fiddling around with some fuses (or something) on the outside of the bus..but come on.

If you have to get to the center things are much easier as you can have choice of the Metro, train or bus. But outside of the center.. not so great.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:27 am

I always avoid taking a taxi in Athens if there are alternatives available. The buses , metro are good and cheap. Yes the buses rattle a bit but only once has one broken down on me and a replacement was there in 15 mins. To be honest taxi drivers have a bad reputation in many cities,countries.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, A3 Miles and Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have to slightly disagree here. Pretty much every taxi I have ever taken from or to the airport has tried to rip me off in some way. Using the nighttime fare during the evening, trying to convince me to pay extra for tolls, coming up with a 15 euro 'airport surcharge' over what the meter shows or getting a second passenger - charging the full price for both. And never ever are they willing to give a receipt, at best you get one from another fare earlier that day.

So yes I also go for the public transport by default. But the bus sucks as they are outdated and overly full (x93 anyways), and a couple of times I have had the bus engine cut out midway during the trip! The driver was able to restart both cases by fiddling around with some fuses (or something) on the outside of the bus..but come on.

If you have to get to the center things are much easier as you can have choice of the Metro, train or bus. But outside of the center.. not so great.
Whenever I take a taxi (most recently in Athens two weeks ago) I only get a car which accepts card payment, and always ask for a receipt. Admittedly I don’t take taxis that frequently, but I haven’t had any problems finding taxis that meet my criteria over the past few years. As for public transport, I only use the metro or suburban rail service from the airport, so can’t comment on the busses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.