Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Understood, thank you for helping me understand.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:43 am

C'me on guys, read the M+B rules; they may sound complicated but they're not. And in addition to the rules, you're talking about the personnal experience of many of us frequenting this forum with, collectively, hundreds of gold re-quqlifications.

First of all, one should forget anything that has to do with the silver to gold transition (a completely different procedure), and read the gold re-qualification procedures: once one has reached the gold status, one has 12 months to collect 12K miles + four A3/OA flights or 24K miles to re-qualify gold. In bruno_0's case, this will be sometime in the end of June 2020, as he reached gold in 2019. At whatever time during this 12 month period one fulfills the miles requirements (any one of the two) for gold requalification one stops amassing tier miles and only collects award miles. Then, at the date indicated in one's account (bruno_0's case in June 2020) one will get the new gold card, valid for 12 months. Thus, bruno_0 can forget the day he achieved re-qualification in October for all practical purposes.

What's valid for one FT programme is not necessarily valid for another!
bruno_0 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
If he got to gold for the first time in June 2019, it'll be valid for 12 months till June 2020.
Till then he'll have to get 12k+4 or 24k to extend the status by one year (from June 2020).
So if he manages to fly 24k miles by October 2019 his status will be extended till June 2021.

What am I missing?
Originally Posted by KLouis
C'me on guys, read the M+B rules; they may sound complicated but they're not. And in addition to the rules, you're talking about the personnal experience of many of us frequenting this forum with, collectively, hundreds of gold re-quqlifications.

First of all, one should forget anything that has to do with the silver to gold transition (a completely different procedure), and read the gold re-qualification procedures: once one has reached the gold status, one has 12 months to collect 12K miles + four A3/OA flights or 24K miles to re-qualify gold. In bruno_0's case, this will be sometime in the end of June 2020, as he reached gold in 2019. At whatever time during this 12 month period one fulfills the miles requirements (any one of the two) for gold requalification one stops amassing tier miles and only collects award miles. Then, at the date indicated in one's account (bruno_0's case in June 2020) one will get the new gold card, valid for 12 months. Thus, bruno_0 can forget the day he achieved re-qualification in October for all practical purposes.

What's valid for one FT programme is not necessarily valid for another!
KLouis, I'm with Chiller3333 on this.

bruno_0's status year runs June-June, following his gold qualification. He is already Gold from June 19 to June 20, and is in his requalification year, ie all the miles that he accrues in this year (June 19-20) count towards status for next year (June 20-21). So if he gets his 24k miles in October then he requalifies for status next year, so his status will be valid until June 21.
bruno_0 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
KLouis, I'm with Chiller3333 on this...{snip}...
If you read exactly what I've been saying since my first reply you'd see that you agree with me as well. The status will not be extended till October 2021 (as bruno_0 was originally suggesting) after his flights to/from Asia, but till June 2021. Only, the new extended status will be "validated" at the end of his gold year and not immediately (no new card issued!). This is a detail which, in practical terms, means nothing important but it is still the case according to their MO. Still, there is a crucial difference between what I say is the case and what Chiller333 and you say. If you were correct, a possible additional 12K+, say, in early 2020 would extend Gold membership till 2022. But this will not be the case as there is no carrying over of tier miles and status is only officially extended at the end of the one year granted for this.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Need some advice: Flying ORD to ATH in 4 weeks.....booked flights OCT 2018 and then purchased separate RT FLEX ticket on Aegean to JTR. My original international flight was changed 4 days ago ...it was scheduled to arrive ATH 1845 and Aegean flight departs at 2235.

My new international flight is scheduled for noon-ish arrival.....now creating a possible 10 hour layover before separate flight to JTR. Obviously I would like to depart and arrive earlier to Santorini.

What is the best way to handle this? Can I call now to request change or wait until I arrive at ATH?

Thank you all for your kind consideration.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Avianca Lifemiles & Aegean Star Alliance Gold Status Pursuit Help Requested

Hello All,

I'm currently living in Europe and I'm trying to work on the easiest and quickest way to Star Alliance Gold Status which seems to be Aegean Airlines after doing some online reading. I am also aware of a great Avianca Lifemiles sale that's going on right now where you can purchase points in bulk and get extra points which can be used to book partner Star Alliance business class awards cheaper than what you can get them for if you were purchasing the booking outright with cash. I am overall newish to frequent flyer programs in terms of what works for award bookings from Star Alliance partners and what gets credited to what airline based on the award booking in the event you use one Star Alliance partner to book another partner's flight.

In short, what i am trying to figure out the possibility of what sounds like a good deal to me is if I buy Avianca Lifemiles, which are are sale right now, is there a way that exists that I can get the 200% Business Class Miles increase to buy an Air China Business Class Award booking for a flight segment if I uses Avianca Lifemiles to make the purchase and then try and credit the flight to Aegean Airlines to speed up the qualification for Aegean Airline's Star Alliance Gold Status?

I would like to note that I most likely won't use Aegean Airlines as a normal flight carrier, but I believe you can get Star Alliance Gold for uses such as Lounge Benefits and still benefit from the status regardless of whether or not you fly with them.

I would appreciate any feedback or experiences anyone has had with the method I described above as it sounds like this should work, but I am also not aware of limitations that may occur by using Avianca Lifemiles Award Bookings to credit to Aegean Airlines as the fastest potential route to Star Alliance Gold Status.

Thank You!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
That won't work.
Award flights don't earn any miles at all. Nada, zero.
Hence, to get tier miles credited you have to fly on revenue tickets.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3
I suggest that the first step if you want to change a Flex ticket is to bring it up on the Aegean Air site. Then select the Change Flights button. That should give you an idea of the prices and options to get earlier flights. If the options presented are not acceptable or you just want to see if you can do better then call.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by nalismom
Need some advice: Flying ORD to ATH in 4 weeks.....booked flights OCT 2018 and then purchased separate RT FLEX ticket on Aegean to JTR. My original international flight was changed 4 days ago ...it was scheduled to arrive ATH 1845 and Aegean flight departs at 2235.

My new international flight is scheduled for noon-ish arrival.....now creating a possible 10 hour layover before separate flight to JTR. Obviously I would like to depart and arrive earlier to Santorini.

What is the best way to handle this? Can I call now to request change or wait until I arrive at ATH?

Thank you all for your kind consideration.
I agree with realgoose in that you should just look up your booking online and change it. Simple, and that's what a Flex ticket is for. You will pay just the fare difference. As for calling for better options - forget it. They will just quote you the same prices as the website (which will only increase with time). Just bite the bullet and pay the difference now. Your chances of being moved on the day to an earlier flight (for free) are almost zero - Aegean just don't work like that. If you change on the day you'll pay whatever the fare difference is then which will for sure be more than it is now.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
...{snip}...If you change on the day you'll pay whatever the fare difference is then which will for sure be more than it is now.
..., provided there are still free seats on the "previous" flight at that point.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:04 am

If I leave from the Satelite Terminal in Athens can I still access the lounge in the main terminal by passing the B gates boarding pass check and security point?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:11 am

Is there a flight search engine that provides deep linking to Aegean's booking interface?

I would like to book VIE-ATH-HAJ, which the Aegean website only provides as an expensive multi-city itinerary. I could book it as one ticket elsewhere, but I'd like to book directly with Aegean. Is there a way to do that? If there's no deep linking, maybe over the phone? TNX
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:16 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
If oneway and the layover in ATH is +4h you can book it online only as multicity, afaik
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: TK Elite
What is the best way to search for business class awards on partner Airlines with A3? Since I don't have any emails in my account it is not letting me see different awards... Just the lowest rate in economy...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Use the UA website. That'll show you which flights have award space. Should be reliable for everything that isn't UA or A3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.