Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
No, you have to earn the points by actually flying, although the link just posted seems to imply that the credit card would work too. Purchased tier miles will NOT keep an inactive account alive.

If this is someone that hasn't flown a creditable flight for five years then I tend to think they don't really need a M&B account anyway. Just let it lapse but first transfer the miles to a family member or friend. This can either be done by a Together account (for free) if the friend is Silver or Gold, or by paying 15 Euro to make the transfer to ANY other M&B account (maximum 50,000 miles per year).

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...ransfer-miles/
Thanks for the clarification on the credit card.

They are already in (my) together account - does this mean that those miles are secure? I was reading the small print and wondered what happened if their (a together member, not the head) account lapsed.
The person does fly regularly but has moved to a different FF programme which is more suited to them. Just don't want to lose the A3 miles they had accrued.

Small print from A3, 9.17 "If the Head wishes to opt-out from the Together account, the Together account will be cancelled and the total award miles that have been accumulated will be transferred to his personal Miles+Bonus account." So in theory I as the head could cancel the together account and gain all the miles - but would rather the individual account was kept alive.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks for the clarification on the credit card.

They are already in (my) together account - does this mean that those miles are secure? I was reading the small print and wondered what happened if their (a together member, not the head) account lapsed.
The person does fly regularly but has moved to a different FF programme which is more suited to them. Just don't want to lose the A3 miles they had accrued.

Small print from A3, 9.17 "If the Head wishes to opt-out from the Together account, the Together account will be cancelled and the total award miles that have been accumulated will be transferred to his personal Miles+Bonus account." So in theory I as the head could cancel the together account and gain all the miles - but would rather the individual account was kept alive.
Once they have joined your together account, they don't have any award miles any more. All their former award miles have been permanently moved to the together account (effectively to you, as they can never get them back anyway). It now doesn't matter if their account is deactivated. The only reason their account still shows as having some miles is because they are a member of together. The total displayed when they check their balance should now equal the total of the together account, NOT the total they had before. If they leave, their account should show zero miles (the miles will stay in the together account but they will simply lose access to them). In summary... it's not a problem. You have "gained all the miles" anyway. None of them will vanish unless YOUR account is inactive for 60 months. You don't need to close the together account to achieve this.
ukflyer1 likes this.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 20, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Once they have joined your together account, they don't have any award miles any more. All their former award miles have been permanently moved to the together account (effectively to you, as they can never get them back anyway). It now doesn't matter if their account is deactivated. The only reason their account still shows as having some miles is because they are a member of together. The total displayed when they check their balance should now equal the total of the together account, NOT the total they had before. If they leave, their account should show zero miles (the miles will stay in the together account but they will simply lose access to them). In summary... it's not a problem. You have "gained all the miles" anyway. None of them will vanish unless YOUR account is inactive for 60 months. You don't need to close the together account to achieve this.
Thanks. That is great to know. Appreciate the explanation.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Touching third region in award ticket.

I am looking to travel from Addis to the Canaries. Both are in the Central and Southern Africa zone but any travel on Star Alliance is through Europe. How many miles will M&B charge for an award ticket? Thanks, ps
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:45 am

Making a dummy booking, I get a matrix showing "from 55,000" miles for all flights. But when I actually click on e.g. 12 Nov, I get an economy ticket for 12,500 with ET ADD-BRU and SN BRU-LPA. But I also get flights with three legs, such as ET ADD-FRA and TP FRA-LIS-LPA, which are 55,000 in Y. C with three legs is 80,000. But it's really hard to find awards with two legs only.

Last edited by RedChili; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:53 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:27 pm

I'm trying to book a business award with the Aegean booking tool, but I can only ever see Economy options. I tired quite a lot of different dates and airports, but nothing is showing up (see Screenshot).
Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I don't think you are doing anything wrong BUT it's very hard to get trans-Atlantic business class tickets two month away.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by RedChili
Making a dummy booking, I get a matrix showing "from 55,000" miles for all flights. But when I actually click on e.g. 12 Nov, I get an economy ticket for 12,500 with ET ADD-BRU and SN BRU-LPA. But I also get flights with three legs, such as ET ADD-FRA and TP FRA-LIS-LPA, which are 55,000 in Y. C with three legs is 80,000. But it's really hard to find awards with two legs only.
Thank you RedChili for this data point. It looks like it is the third leg that triggers the additional charge.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I have a transaction labeled as "Birthday gift" in my M&B account. Any ideas what is this?
Can I expect a free RTW or something?

Edit: It was 500 award miles deposited to my account!

Last edited by Furry; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:17 pm

Was it your birthday?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I'm thinking about transferring my old SPG points (now Marriott Bonvoy) into the Aegean Miles&Points program, I'm attracted to their low point redemption requirements between Athens and Lebanon, Egypt, and Tunisia. Those flights cross the Europe/Middle East boundaries for many Star Alliance and OneWorld carriers, and cost a boatload of miles.

I don't have an Aegean account, and am unable to make a mock rewards bookings to price things out......but am reading about substantial Aegean fuel surcharges.

What can I be expecting in addition to the miles in the Aegean award chart and taxes?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jaymar01
I'm thinking about transferring my old SPG points (now Marriott Bonvoy) into the Aegean Miles&Points program, I'm attracted to their low point redemption requirements between Athens and Lebanon, Egypt, and Tunisia. Those flights cross the Europe/Middle East boundaries for many Star Alliance and OneWorld carriers, and cost a boatload of miles.

I don't have an Aegean account, and am unable to make a mock rewards bookings to price things out......but am reading about substantial Aegean fuel surcharges.

What can I be expecting in addition to the miles in the Aegean award chart and taxes?

Just as a point of reference, ATH-CAI will cost you 36 EUR in Taxes/Surcharges when flying on Aegean (one-way).
The nonstop flight on MS will be EUR 91.87 in Y and EUR 130.82 in C.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01

You can work out the taxes and fees for ANY route using ITA Matrix (https://matrix.itasoftware.com/). If you've not used it before, it has many advanced options but is not too difficult once you get the hang of things. For A3 redemptions, you will pay everything that is listed there other than the base fare. As an example, this is how the previous poster worked out that 36 Euro figure:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...RuKc2j8CvkD002 The points redemption saves you 135 Euro and you pay everything else.

Fuel surcharges are coded YQ and are imposed by the operating carrier, not by the carrier whose award-program you are using for the booking. As you can see, A3 isn't really that bad (3 Euro for this route).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:38 am

I've got a tricky one here. I guess we all end up screwed by these things one day or another

LH flights, apparently both operated on wet-leased planes - that's not a codeshare:

LH396 operated by Air Nostrum on behalf of Lufthansa German Airlines
Miles posted as LH, as expected.
Fun fact: I used to board the same plane, with the same crew, under SAS colors.

LH5765 operated by Swiss International Airlines on behalf of Lufthansa German Airlines
Miles eventually posted as LX - that's half the miles.
The retroclaiming tool don't recognize that LH flight number.

Bottom line: "on behalf of" is no longer a reliable indicator
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by LacMajeur
I've got a tricky one here. I guess we all end up screwed by these things one day or another

LH flights, apparently both operated on wet-leased planes - that's not a codeshare:

LH396 operated by Air Nostrum on behalf of Lufthansa German Airlines
Miles posted as LH, as expected.
Fun fact: I used to board the same plane, with the same crew, under SAS colors.

LH5765 operated by Swiss International Airlines on behalf of Lufthansa German Airlines
Miles eventually posted as LX - that's half the miles.
The retroclaiming tool don't recognize that LH flight number.

Bottom line: "on behalf of" is no longer a reliable indicator
The out-of-sequence flight number is often a big giveaway. I used to worry about the SAS regional flights on CRJ or ATR (I think it is Air Nostrum). The flight numbers are 'main-line' though, and they always credit perfectly. I think the phrase "on behalf of" is indeed not clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.