Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:57 am

Newbie here and the question concerns transferring miles to a star alliance airline from an AMEX centurion card in order to use points with Aegean. We are no longer satisfied with amex and want to transfer approx 600K points to travel partners before exiting the relationship with amex. Amex offers a 1:1 ratio to a number of airlines but only Singapore airlines and SAS airlines from the star alliance network.

As we live in Greece and mostly use Aegean for our family travels we would like to transfer most of the points to Star Alliance options that we can use with Aegean. Can we set up a signapore or SAS account and use miles with them to redeem for Aegean flights? Or is this not a good solution?

As the next subscritpion is due in a a few days and we will not be renewing the amex card/the points will disappear, any thoughts or advice from folks with more expertise than us would be very helpful.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:25 am

You can book Star Alliance award tickets with any mileage program which belongs to a Star Alliance airline, so the answer is yes, you can use both SK and SQ miles for awards with Aegean, Swiss, Lufthansa, SAS, Turkish and all Star airlines. But be aware that you cannot use SQ and SK miles for awards with Olympic.

In your situation, I would take a look at the award charts for both SQ and SK and see which one has the lowest amount on miles on the types of awards I want to get. E.g. SQ awards are 25,000 in economy and 55,000 in business for intra-Europe, and 55,000 or 130,000 for North America. For SK, it's 40,000 or 60,000 in Europe, and 70,000 or 130,000 to North America. With SK, you can also redeem on SAS to North America for 60,000 in economy, 80,000 in plus, or 100,000 in business.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by athens_epsilon
Nwant to transfer approx 600K points. Amex offers a 1:1 ratio to Singapore airlines and SAS from the star alliance network.
As we live in Greece and mostly use Aegean to transfer most of the points to Star Alliance options that we can use with Aegean.
I don't have an AMEX yet but I looked up the charts for SAS and SQ (Singapore).

If you want to fly with Aegean using SAS you'll have to pay (all return flights; 60% if oneway)
- 20.000 miles for a domestic flight in Greece / economy and probably 30.000 miles for business (though chart is unclear)
- 40.000 miles for a flight in Europe / economy and 60.000 miles for a flight in business (some routes are 10.000 miles cheaper)
Chart SAS

If you want to fly with Aegean using SQ you'll have to pay (all return flights; 50% if oneway)
- 25.000 miles for a flight in economy
- 55.000 miles for a flight in business
SQ Chart

Now, I don't know about availability on these programs for Aegean flights. Though, I'd consider that SAS is probably not as financially stable as SQ. Also SQ should offer better opportunities to redeem on other airlines (I'm guessing).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You may want to consider downgrading the Centurion card to a cheap green card, just to keep your points alive. Who knows, maybe Aegean will become an Amex transfer partner in the future..

if you do want to move your points to either SK or SQ I would suggest SQ as SAS is in financial issues lately. Also keep in mind that it may take days to weeks for points to transfer.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:21 pm

I am not sure I'm even posting a new thread or a reply to one element in this area, so please be kind

I have tried to sort out the expiration rules the best I can on my own. I have never credited a flight to Aegean, I have only three activities in total:

Oct 2017 500 miles for installing App
Oct 2017 1000 miles for internet enrollment
Nov 2018 purchased 30000 miles with a 30000 mile bonus

total balance 61500 miles.

Since I have no flight, would my expiration be 5 years from Oct 2017 - which is when I opened the account in the first place?
If I understand correctly to reset the expiration date requires a Star Alliance flight credited to Aegean - and that this activity would add five years to expiration date.

For some reason I have notes in my xls file tracking accounts that the expiration might be "two or three years" from last flight.

I would be very grateful for confirmation or correction if what I have outlined is not accurate.

thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by newK2
I am not sure I'm even posting a new thread or a reply to one element in this area, so please be kind

I have tried to sort out the expiration rules the best I can on my own. I have never credited a flight to Aegean, I have only three activities in total:

Oct 2017 500 miles for installing App
Oct 2017 1000 miles for internet enrollment
Nov 2018 purchased 30000 miles with a 30000 mile bonus

total balance 61500 miles.

Since I have no flight, would my expiration be 5 years from Oct 2017 - which is when I opened the account in the first place?
If I understand correctly to reset the expiration date requires a Star Alliance flight credited to Aegean - and that this activity would add five years to expiration date.

For some reason I have notes in my xls file tracking accounts that the expiration might be "two or three years" from last flight.

I would be very grateful for confirmation or correction if what I have outlined is not accurate.

thanks!
My understanding is that you are right. Basically, miles never expire, but they are lost if the account is closed. The account is closed if there is no valid flight activity for 5 years (where flight activity, in my understanding, is one that gives you miles). From the T&C, chapter 2:

If the Blue Member has not performed a single flight activity within a period of sixty consecutive (60) months from the date of the last valid flight that registered miles or from the date of his/her registration, then his/her Account will be inactivated for a period of twelve (12) months. In this period of time the Member may retroactively credit Tier Miles for flights that took place within the past 12 months and within the period that the Account was active to reactivate his/her Account. It is specified that the Member cannot earn or spend Miles for as long as his/her Account is inactive. Should no reactivation occur within the twelve (12) month inactivation period, the Card and Account will be closed permanently and the Award Miles earned will automatically be cancelled.
Last time I had checked this rule, the inactivity period was 3 years. So this could explain your note.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Newbie here and the question concerns transferring miles to a star alliance airline from an AMEX centurion card in order to use points with Aegean. We are no longer satisfied with amex and want to transfer approx 600K points to travel partners before exiting the relationship with amex. Amex offers a 1:1 ratio to a number of airlines but only Singapore airlines and SAS airlines from the star alliance network.
I don't know if you've transferred your points yet, but you should know that SQ miles expire. I believe it's 3 years from the date of deposit, and AFAIK, unlike a lot of other programs, you can't extend the life of the miles through earning/redeeming activity.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold

As we live in Greece and mostly use Aegean for our family travels we would like to transfer most of the points to Star Alliance options that we can use with Aegean. Can we set up a signapore or SAS account and use miles with them to redeem for Aegean flights? Or is this not a good solution?

As the next subscritpion is due in a a few days and we will not be renewing the amex card/the points will disappear, any thoughts or advice from folks with more expertise than us would be very helpful.
How did you get centurion to Greece? I though amex is leaving Greece!

You can transfer to spg (now Marriott bonvoy) and there to aegean https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...international/

just check the amex to bonvoy conversion rate. The bonvoy to aegean is 3:1and for every 60,000 bonvoy points transferred to Miles+Bonus in a single transaction (which will equal to 20,000 award miles), you will earn extra 5,000 award miles as a gift.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:40 am

thanks Blackball!
blackball likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
A3 with Skype call center?

Is A3's call center accept Skype call? I want to book a multi destination ticket SOF-ATH Apr. 8, ATH-DUS Apr. 9, kept saying We are not able to confirm your selected flights. Please resubmit your request. (15079 - 421). Anyone have this problem before?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:52 am

Yes, they do accept Skype calls .
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, they do accept Skype calls .

Can you give a specific number that i can call? or any number is fine? (I suggest i you are saying about the international number which start with +30?)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I would suggest the Greek number (+30), and if you hold status specifically the Gold line.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would suggest the Greek number (+30), and if you hold status specifically the Gold line.

Sadly, no gold with A3. I will do the call now to see if they can book my ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Question LH Y+ (G/E fare class)

According to A3 table, LH G/E "Premium Eco Full (international)" earns 150% "Accrual Factor"

So say, if I am A3*G now, and wants to qualify for A3*G in 2020. If I fly LH G/E fare, with 20,000 actual miles.

I will get 30,000 miles in my A3 account, right? But does that also qualify me for A3*G (more than 24,000 miles required w/o 4x A3 segments)?

For the same token, if I have 4 x A3 segments, I just need 8,000 miles @ 150% (well, actually even less, because those A3 segments also has miles) for qualification?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.