Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Your initial assumption is not correct.
To get Gold you will need to get Silver first.
So:
- You start at 0
- When you reach 2 A3 flights and 12000 miles OR 24 000 miles without A3 flight within 12 months, you will be Silver
- From that day you need 4 A3 flights and 24 000 miles or 48 000 miles without A3 flight within 12 months

So if you start at 01 September 2018, you reach Silver 15 March 2018 and then reach Gold 30 September 2018. You will be Gold from 1st Oct 2018 to 30 September 2019.
You will need to get your 4 A3 flights + 12 000 miles or 24 000 miles without A3 flight during that period. As soon as you reach it the status is extended to the next year, starting 1st October 2019.
Ah! Thank you very much, I have been under a false impression from the beginning then, and really appreciate the clarification. So the reality then is to earn Gold in a year I would need 6 sectors on A3 and 36,000 miles. OK, that changes things a little, but still likely makes it the best option in the longer run.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:40 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes, but you have actually more than a year to earn Gold. The time counter resets when you hit Silver. As I wrote it is 12 months from the day your earn Silver. So it can take you 11 months to earn Silver for example, and then another 11 months to earn Gold, this is perfectly OK.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
ok thank you - but the idea would be to push immediately for Gold, as that is the closest to BA silver in terms of benefits, and I have the choice at the moment to either go to renew BA silver or change for A3 Gold.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Hi all, is anyone have this experience of mileage accrual on SIN-IAH connecting in MAN but, M+B only credit SIN-IAH direct. However, I am short of almost 1,575 miles and may not able to qualify for A3 gold.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ncncyoo
Hi all, is anyone have this experience of mileage accrual on SIN-IAH connecting in MAN but, M+B only credit SIN-IAH direct. However, I am short of almost 1,575 miles and may not able to qualify for A3 gold.
Any details? Such as fare class, reason given if denied, flights used, etc? By the way, what do you mean by SIN-IAH direct? As far as I know, SQ only flies the route via MAN.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

It was P, they only calculate base on the boarding pass which only shown SIN-IAH , I guess they not consider that actual booking have layover.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Now I see what you mean. You're not lucky: most, if not all, ff programs I'm aware of consider the "direct distance" between two cities, irrespective of an intermediate stop as long as both segments are under the same flight number. As for the missing miles, you can always buy them, 2000 miles (you can only buy them in 500s) will cost you 200 €, most probably the same or perhaps even cheaper than if you had booked a SIN-MAN and a MAN-IAH flights on different tickets
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: A3 *G
Was the stopover just same-day (i.e. 1 or 2 hr stop for fuel) or did you stay in MAN 24hr+? In the former case you took a "direct" flight (a direct flight doesn't have to be non-stop) and so will only get SIN-IAH mileage. In the latter, you truly has a 'stopover' and should get SIN-MAN plus MAN-IAH.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Was the stopover just same-day (i.e. 1 or 2 hr stop for fuel) or did you stay in MAN 24hr+? In the former case you took a "direct" flight (a direct flight doesn't have to be non-stop) and so will only get SIN-IAH mileage. In the latter, you truly has a 'stopover' and should get SIN-MAN plus MAN-IAH.
Yes, it was SQ52 with around 1:30 hr layover, but the routing still SIN-MAN-IAH. They cannot just skip the leg and not look at the actual routing.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:45 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Mmmh for all flights I know where there is a technical stop the mileage is for the direct routing. It is very common on AA. The BA flight LHR-SIN-SYD is also awarded as one segment. I think it is a general rule for all FFP.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:35 pm

Yes, it was SQ52 with around 1:30 hr layover, but the routing still SIN-MAN-IAH. They cannot just skip the leg and not look at the actual routing.
If you purchase a single ticket SIN-IAH, then that's the distance which matters. Whether the airplane makes either a techincal stop or a stop to pick up passengers is irrelevant for you. This is how all frequent flyer programs work. This is called a direct flight, SIN-MAN-IAH, and direct flights always earn according to the nonstop distance.

If you really needed the miles, you should have either bought two separate tickets, SIN-MAN and MAN-IAH, or booked a stopover in MAN.

You're entitled to approximately 9930 miles if it was booked in a 100% earning class.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
If you purchase a single ticket SIN-IAH, then that's the distance which matters. Whether the airplane makes either a techincal stop or a stop to pick up passengers is irrelevant for you. This is how all frequent flyer programs work. This is called a direct flight, SIN-MAN-IAH, and direct flights always earn according to the nonstop distance.

If you really needed the miles, you should have either bought two separate tickets, SIN-MAN and MAN-IAH, or booked a stopover in MAN.

You're entitled to approximately 9930 miles if it was booked in a 100% earning class.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Mmmh for all flights I know where there is a technical stop the mileage is for the direct routing. It is very common on AA. The BA flight LHR-SIN-SYD is also awarded as one segment. I think it is a general rule for all FFP.
Thanks all I guess that‘s what I think ,cause I did't change plane and it is the same flight number. I probably buy some tier miles or MR then.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
I am trying to purchase a ticket from Istanbul - Athens - Belgrade (one ticket) with Aegean Airlines. My country is not listed as one of the countries that need a transit visa (https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/transit-schengen-visa/). But just to make sure is the transfer in Athens airside? Since I checked in Agean website that I need to go to passport control
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...ng-passengers/

in timatic:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers transiting through Athens (ATH) and arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight within 24 hours to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:
- stay in the international transit area of the airport, and
- have documents required for the next destination.

Also on the returning flight, will Agean Airlines checked my luggage to my final destination if I have a separate ticket with Turkish airlines from Istanbul? The belgrade - Athens will be with aegean but athens to istanbul will be on olympic (one ticket). Thanks.
I just did the flight above and want to confirm that you don't need to go to immigration and the transfer is airside. Once you reached the terminal via bus, the passport control + security screening is directly on the left side. After security you just go up directly to your gate. In the passport control, the person only checked my passport and boarding pass (I don't have a Schengen visa).

This if my first time on a3. Is there no avod in all a3 planes? The seat pitch is also really tight for an international flight (much tighter than Turkish domestic with shorter travel time).

Last edited by Bryant.Jr; Nov 12, 2018 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Also on the returning flight, will Agean Airlines checked my luggage to my final destination if I have a separate ticket with Turkish airlines from Istanbul? The belgrade - Athens will be with aegean but athens to istanbul will be on olympic (one ticket)
There should be no problem, I ve done A3 to OA transfers and vice versa numerous times (although not on that specific route) and I have never encountered any issue. Just make sure with the check-in agent that your bags are tagged all the way to IST.

This if my first time on a3. Is there no avod in all a3 planes?
No AVOD on any A3 bird. This is true for all short/medium-haul aircraft on all European airlines I have travelled with, with the exception of TK (but to be fair TK is not a purely "European" airline, but rather in-between a European and a Middle-Eastern/Gulf one, both service- and structure-wise). Welcome to the modern era of intra-European flights. A3 is a actually one of the very few remaining full-service airlines still offering decent full service even on Economy. So as a regular A3 passenger I am glad about this

The seat pitch is also really tight for an international flight (much tighter than Turkish domestic with shorter travel time).
The seat pitch on Aegean aircrafts is indeed among the tightest ones in European "legacy" airlines, comparable to LCCs such as Ryan Air and Vueling... At 1.9m I am not extremely tall but I literally don't fit sitting with my knees facing straight on the back seats. If you would like to enjoy more legroom, you can select a seat in the front rows (up to row 5 or 6). Of course there is a fee for that, but you will have a much more comfortable time, especially if you are "tall".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:03 am

The seats with extre leg room is up to row 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.