Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Miles will be credited based on what you actually ended up flying.
You can attempt to get an original routing credit based on what you booked.
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
The good thing in this case is that CPH-GVA is further than CPH-BRU - you should get 100 extra miles! In addition, you might find that the SN flight, being booked at short notice, was ticketed in a class that also earns.
Just a small update on the miles redemption.

Indeed, SAS credited me 708 miles for the CPH-GVA leg, I guess more miles than I could had earned on CPH-BRU. I was also credited under an E-class instead of the M class of my booking (no difference in miles). Miles were posted approx. 36 hours after the end of the trip. In addition to my morning DUB-CPH flight I earned a total of 1479 miles.

What baffles me though is the SN GVA-BRU leg. As per the rerouting ticket I had been assigned a Y fare. That was indeed the case as I was sitting in row 4 just behind business and received complimentary snacks and drinks. Based on this I should have earned an extra 1250 miles. Since Friday no miles have been posted and I cannot retroclaim these via my profile. I will try calling A3' CS although I guess this is more an SN situation.

PS: Is owenrudge abandoned/compromised? I can't access the page recently.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: A3 *G
[QUOTE=DUBBRU;30371907]Just a small update on the miles redemption.

What baffles me though is the SN GVA-BRU leg. As per the rerouting ticket I had been assigned a Y fare. That was indeed the case as I was sitting in row 4 just behind business and received complimentary snacks and drinks. Based on this I should have earned an extra 1250 miles. Since Friday no miles have been posted and I cannot retroclaim these via my profile. I will try calling A3' CS although I guess this is more an SN situation.

Why can't you claim them - what was the error message? Remember you'll need the new ticket number for the retro-claim, not your original one. It should work if all the details you enter are correct. Sometimes you get an error message, sometimes nothing happens and the request is pending. I'd give it a few more days and then call them. There's no reason why you shouldn't get the full 1250 miles for this if the ticket was indeed issued in Y booking class.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Knobbgb

Why can't you claim them - what was the error message? Remember you'll need the new ticket number for the retro-claim, not your original one. It should work if all the details you enter are correct. Sometimes you get an error message, sometimes nothing happens and the request is pending. I'd give it a few more days and then call them. There's no reason why you shouldn't get the full 1250 miles for this if the ticket was indeed issued in Y booking class.
Not a proper wording from my side, I meant I cannot yet retroclaimed them.

The most recent date for SN flights I can claim via my profile is Oct 22nd, so I guess I will wait for 4-5 days before trying anything.

I thought SN posts miles in the M+B accounts faster than that.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
When being rebooked after Irrops crediting of miles can take longer than usual or not occur at all.
Had that with OA when I was supposed to fly ATH-HER late at night but was rebooked to the early morning flight since my inbound one had a delay of several hours.
Those miles didn't post automatically even though my MB number was on the BP.
Retroclaiming them went flawlessly though.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
When being rebooked after Irrops crediting of miles can take longer than usual or not occur at all.
Had that with OA when I was supposed to fly ATH-HER late at night but was rebooked to the early morning flight since my inbound one had a delay of several hours.
Those miles didn't post automatically even though my MB number was on the BP.
Retroclaiming them went flawlessly though.
A couple of years ago I missed my SFO-CPH flight on SK because UA screwed my feed-in flight from PDX. So I was rerouted to CPH via ORD. My miles for the ORD-CPH segment credited automatically, but I never managed to get anything for my SFO-ORD segment, although it was issued on P (which should earn 100%). I talked with two different A3 CS agents who were both very polite and tried to resolve my issue but to no avail. My flight "would not show up", or I "didn't appear as ever flying this flight", I didn't quite understand, and they didn't seem to be very sure either. So I contacted UA, who told me that they can see I was on that flight, and so should A3. Tried to retro-claim on my EuroBonus account but this didn't work either so it must have been UA to blame. In the end I got fed up and gave up.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:16 pm

Hello flyers,

I am quite new to this miles world but I'm studying so hopefully with your precious help I might be able to achieve some good targets.
Some months ago I thought that this year I could reach the FT status on M&M but then I discovered that some of my future flights have been moved to the first week of January and so, since my M&M status miles will be erased on the 31/12, I lost faith in it. I had already redeemed a WAW - YYZ - WAW PE (R) LOT ticket on M&M when I discovered the changes in the future travels so I feel like I wasted those miles probably a newbie error ... anyway the plan now is to aim at A3 Gold status but I need your help. Basically I have 8 flights planned in PE (on LOT/Air China) for a total of 40k miles in air. Since AC E converts with a 90% rate and LOT R with 100%, I am quiet confident that I can benefit from the A3 scheme.
The idea is the following, please correct me if I'm wrong:
  1. remove all the references to the M&M card on the ticket. I inserted those when I booked the flights but I don't want to have miles in M&M anymore.
  2. Complete all the 8 flights.
  3. Redeem just 3 flights which equal to 12k miles after conversion
  4. Book a short-haul flight with Aegean in January.
  5. Reach S* status.
  6. Redeem all the other flights (~28k remaining).
  7. Book 4 short-haul flights. I've never been to Greece so that's very nice to see.
  8. Become Gold.
Does that make any sense to you guys? I would like to make use of those miles in the best possible way without throwing more miles away (like I did with LH M&M). Let me know what you think about it. I believe it's possible to redeem each single flight separately also on A3 (like I've always done with Avios/M&M).
Thank you a lot!
Hopefully one day I'll be like you
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by jumpallover
Hello flyers,

I am quite new to this miles world but I'm studying so hopefully with your precious help I might be able to achieve some good targets.
Some months ago I thought that this year I could reach the FT status on M&M but then I discovered that some of my future flights have been moved to the first week of January and so, since my M&M status miles will be erased on the 31/12, I lost faith in it. I had already redeemed a WAW - YYZ - WAW PE (R) LOT ticket on M&M when I discovered the changes in the future travels so I feel like I wasted those miles probably a newbie error ... anyway the plan now is to aim at A3 Gold status but I need your help. Basically I have 8 flights planned in PE (on LOT/Air China) for a total of 40k miles in air. Since AC E converts with a 90% rate and LOT R with 100%, I am quiet confident that I can benefit from the A3 scheme.
The idea is the following, please correct me if I'm wrong:
  1. remove all the references to the M&M card on the ticket. I inserted those when I booked the flights but I don't want to have miles in M&M anymore.
  2. Complete all the 8 flights.
  3. Redeem just 3 flights which equal to 12k miles after conversion
  4. Book a short-haul flight with Aegean in January.
  5. Reach S* status.
  6. Redeem all the other flights (~28k remaining).
  7. Book 4 short-haul flights. I've never been to Greece so that's very nice to see.
  8. Become Gold.
Does that make any sense to you guys? I would like to make use of those miles in the best possible way without throwing more miles away (like I did with LH M&M). Let me know what you think about it. I believe it's possible to redeem each single flight separately also on A3 (like I've always done with Avios/M&M).
Thank you a lot!
Hopefully one day I'll be like you
Welcome to the forum, jumpallover!

So here is the situation: In order to reach A3 Gold status you need in total 6 Aegean flights (2 for Silver, 4 for Gold) and 36k tier miles (12k for Silver and 24k for gold).
I'm not sure what you mean with "redeem flights" - I'm guessing crediting flights to your account? Your thinking is not exactly correct since this is not how the miles system works. Regardless of when you credit the flights to your Aegean account, the important factor here is the flight date. You can retro-credit flights that you took in the last 6 months but they get credited for that exact date.

Either way, miles from Silver to Gold do carry over within Aegean's M+B program, so you can credit all your flights whenever you want and that wouldn't make a difference. Miles do not carry over from Gold to your requalification for Gold though. So in case you take 7 flights that bring you 23.500 miles and you need 500 miles to Gold, a last flight of 2.000 miles will all count towards Gold and the 1.500 will only get credited as award miles.

Also please keep in mind that Miles & More numbers tend to be really sticky, meaning that once they are in your booking and even if you remove them, the flight might still be credited to your Miles&More account. I've had luck with a similar situation in the past where I decided to swap the FF numbers in a booking, but I wanted you to know this.

I hope this could clear things up for you!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by nikolask

So here is the situation: In order to reach A3 Gold status you need in total 6 Aegean flights (2 for Silver, 4 for Gold) and 36k tier miles (12k for Silver and 24k for gold).
I'm not sure what you mean with "redeem flights" - I'm guessing crediting flights to your account? Your thinking is not exactly correct since this is not how the miles system works. Regardless of when you credit the flights to your Aegean account, the important factor here is the flight date. You can retro-credit flights that you took in the last 6 months but they get credited for that exact date.

Either way, miles from Silver to Gold do carry over within Aegean's M+B program, so you can credit all your flights whenever you want and that wouldn't make a difference. Miles do not carry over from Gold to your requalification for Gold though. So in case you take 7 flights that bring you 23.500 miles and you need 500 miles to Gold, a last flight of 2.000 miles will all count towards Gold and the 1.500 will only get credited as award miles.

Also please keep in mind that Miles & More numbers tend to be really sticky, meaning that once they are in your booking and even if you remove them, the flight might still be credited to your Miles&More account. I've had luck with a similar situation in the past where I decided to swap the FF numbers in a booking, but I wanted you to know this.

OK in its original sense: all correct! I just wanted to emphasise, though, the stickiness of the M&M miles registered with LH tickets (220.... tickets; I'm not certain this is a general M&M or a LH problem) at the time of booking and FT is full of examples of that. I'm one of those who went through a long series of emails and phone calls several years ago before I finally gave up!

Last edited by KLouis; Oct 31, 2018 at 3:13 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by nikolask

Wow, thanks! This makes everything clearer.
So the idea at this point would be to book a roundtrip flight with Aegeans *before* the first of the 8 flights in order to have just the first 12k miles credited correctly for Silver and then carry the remaining ones for the quest for Gold.
However, if the "switchin issue" is valid in my case I would basically end up with no miles in the M+B account, that would be terrible.
If instead of removing the FF number I switch it to the M+B one it should work, right? Because maybe if you remove it the original one of the booking stays somehow in memory but I guess that if you replace it with a totally different one it should force the change. Any suggestion on this? Should I call the airline and ask? Thank you so much!

OK in its original sense: all correct! I just wanted to emphasise, though, the stickiness of the M&M miles registered with LH tickets (220.... tickets; I'm not certain this is a general M&M or a LH problem) at the time of booking and FT is full of examples of that. I'm one of those who went through a long series of emails and phone calls several years ago before I finally gave up!
Is this related to a LH ticket? What happens with other carriers like AC/LO?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:02 am

So the idea at this point would be to book a roundtrip flight with Aegeans *before* the first of the 8 flights in order to have just the first 12k miles credited correctly for Silver and then carry the remaining ones for the quest for Gold.
Yes, I would adivse you to do it this like this so you are on the "safe" side but this shouldn't play a role. With this option you can also use your silver upgrade coupons for 2 of the 4 flights towards your gold.
But even if you were to collect 40k miles with 2 flights and then take 6 A3 flights, you should be able to go from Blue to Silver to Gold.

However, if the "switchin issue" is valid in my case I would basically end up with no miles in the M+B account, that would be terrible.
If instead of removing the FF number I switch it to the M+B one it should work, right?
I can't give any input on this since this only hapenned once and I replaced the M&M with my M+B numbers and the miles were credited in the end. Calling the airline wouldn't help much IMHO - I would just swap the FF numbers on the airline website. You can find more information in the LH forum.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Is there any way for me to check whether or not my star alliance flights would be available when booking through Aegean without having enough miles to actually book it? I have only the 1K miles in my account right now i got from signing up. Need to get from TLV-YYZ for 2 people, obv. J is preferable but it'll cost me an insane 165K Aeroplan points. If I'm reading the Aegean chart correctly, it'll only cost me 90K Aegean miles. for literally the same flight (which I've scoped out to be TLV-WAW-YYZ).

I can log into my Aegean account, do an award search, see there is some availability but i have no idea what. I click on my date in the calendar and i can't go any further because i don't have enough miles to book it. I need to find out what flights are showing inventory on Aegean's system and how much the taxes are, but don't want to transfer over miles from MR-Marriott-Aegean if my flights are not even there to begin with.

Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully my question makes sense.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:15 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
The ANA FFP let you look for availability without having any miles in bank. While availability varies for each airline, this is usually a good indicator and is the best way to search online without having any miles.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:40 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Not really A3 related, but I am asking here because I see many of you are from Greece... last weekend I flew to Ercan (Northern Cyprus) and now I have entry and exit stamp in my passport... I know that probably in Cyprus I will have problems (if you know more about, please share) at immigration (but there I can use my ID card to go thru customs), but what about Greece? Will I have issues transiting at ATH airport to another non-Schengen country if my passport is stamped by Norther Cyprus? thank you
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good morning all! Another newb question I am afraid. I just need some clarity on status years.

As a new member of M+B I need to collect 25,000 miles and 4 sectors on A3 to reach *G in the first year - that I understand. So, let's say my year started 01 January 2018.
On the 30 September 2018 I hit the 25,000 mile mark and had my 4 flights on A3 I would then be moved to Gold. As I understand it, I would now be Gold from 01 October 2018 until 30 September 2019.
During this period I would need to earn 12,000 miles and 4 flights on A3.
Let's say, I had a few flights later in the year, and I reached my 12,000 miles and 4 flights by the 31 January 2019, I assume that Gold status is then extended from 01 October 2019 through to 30 September 2020 correct? It doesn't get "reset" and start a new year as of 01 February 2019 because I had reached Gold (like in year 1)?

I hope the above makes sense and thanks in advance for any response.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:55 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Your initial assumption is not correct.
To get Gold you will need to get Silver first.
So:
- You start at 0
- When you reach 2 A3 flights and 12000 miles OR 24 000 miles without A3 flight within 12 months, you will be Silver
- From that day you need 4 A3 flights and 24 000 miles or 48 000 miles without A3 flight within 12 months

So if you start at 01 September 2018, you reach Silver 15 March 2018 and then reach Gold 30 September 2018. You will be Gold from 1st Oct 2018 to 30 September 2019.
You will need to get your 4 A3 flights + 12 000 miles or 24 000 miles without A3 flight during that period. As soon as you reach it the status is extended to the next year, starting 1st October 2019.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.