Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 6:38 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Before I posted this I read a few older posts and think I should be fine. However, I just want to ask again just to make sure.

I'm flying DBV-ATH/ATH-HER on two separate PNRs with A3/OA with a 1.5 hr connection. I purchased it as two separate GoLight fares since the price difference was quite substantial compared to booking it as one PNR. If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?

Thanks!
If you have two separate tickets, and have done so to avoid paying a much higher fee, I'm afraid you may be being somewhat over-optimistic.

I've not seen any specific examples, because most people doing this would be on HBO given the GoLight status of the tickets, so we're playing a bit of a guessing game. Mine is that the best case scenario is that the agent will be able to pull up both your reservations at DBV and charge you twice at point of origin. Only under those circumstances would you have any chance of a through check. I would be highly sceptical that this will happen though - much more likely you have to collect, re-check and re-pay at ATH.

At that point, 1.5 hours is far too short - any sort of delay in flight, baggage collection or check-in and your itinerary is toast. I believe you need to re-think your strategy.

At the very least, you should consider pre-paying for your bag online - you are much more likely to get a through check at DBV if you can show the agent your two receipts. It's also much cheaper than paying on the day, of course.

Even then, you will have an unprotected connection - bag through checking does not override the separate ticket issue.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 2, 2017 at 6:43 am
Old May 2, 2017, 6:54 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
Hey,
I have an award ticket (HND to BKK) booked on NH in J. I did redeem the 21.000 miles for the ticket.

However, my plan might change and I have to visit CGK as well.

Is it possible to book TYO to CGKto BKK on one ticket, redeeming 21.000miles as well?
I should be able to cancel the other ticket, correct?

Thanks for your help.
No, this won't be possible I'm afraid.

Two issues stop this - firstly, you'd only be able to have <24h in CGK because A3 does not allow stopovers on awards.

In any case, even if that was the plan, the second issue of MPM (maximum permitted mileage) prevents this. HND-BKK is about 2,800m. HND-CGK-BKK is about 5,000m. Every airline in the world has a percentage it allows over a direct routing for redemptions, but this would typically be 20% or less.

There is no problem with cancelling the original ticket, but you would need to replace it with two distinct redemptions - the first from HND-CGK, the second from CGK-BKK which would obviously be charged individually.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:11 am

...I'm flying DBV-ATH/ATH-HER on two separate PNRs with A3/OA with a 1.5 hr connection. I purchased it as two separate GoLight fares since the price difference was quite substantial compared to booking it as one PNR. If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?...
Easy answer first, 1.5 hours should be more than enough if no delay of the incoming flight and luggage checked through to final destination..

Connected answer, less easy to answer: They don't have to check your piece of luggage through, it depends on the handling agents at DBV. Usually, this is the case, provided you have already checked in for your "connecting" flight to HER. The problem, though, is that if they have not checked your bag through, the additional time needed to retrieve and re-check it may create problems for your "connection".

Third question, only a guess, they should, indeed, charge you twice the fee at DBV, since you'll have two different tickets. Now, the problem is, can they get cash fee for a flight originating in ATH? If not, they won't tag it to HER and then see above for potential trouble.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
A couple of quick q's from a new A3 FFP-member:

- How quick are A3 at registering trips? I currently don't have any status and think if it would be possible to do the 6 A3 trips (2 reaching 12k miles and 4 starting 24k miles) in one mileage run. Or would I run the risk that my silver status doens't get recognised straight away when I reach it and I can't start getting to the next tier straight away. Is there a risk of this?

- What are suggested minimum connecting times at ATH? I have found a CPH-ATH-NAP with a 45 min layover on friday afternoon, but it will not book on A3 website, only through OTs. Do people with knowledge of ATH think this cutting it tight?

Thanks
//
Jakob
Old May 2, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
...I'm flying DBV-ATH/ATH-HER on two separate PNRs with A3/OA with a 1.5 hr connection. I purchased it as two separate GoLight fares since the price difference was quite substantial compared to booking it as one PNR. If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?...
Easy answer first, 1.5 hours should be more than enough if no delay of the incoming flight and luggage checked through to final destination..

Connected answer, less easy to answer: They don't have to check your piece of luggage through, it depends on the handling agents at DBV. Usually, this is the case, provided you have already checked in for your "connecting" flight to HER. The problem, though, is that if they have not checked your bag through, the additional time needed to retrieve and re-check it may create problems for your "connection".

Third question, only a guess, they should, indeed, charge you twice the fee at DBV, since you'll have two different tickets. Now, the problem is, can they get cash fee for a flight originating in ATH? If not, they won't tag it to HER and then see above for potential trouble.
As said, they don't HAVE to through check your bag but I've never had a problem doing this - there's no reason why they shouldn't unless someone happens to be having a bad day. Interestingly though I've been told by agents on two occasions that it's easier for them if you have NOT checked in for either flight. If you're checked in they have to cancel both check-ins, link the tickets and then re-check you, which creates extra work and might make it less likely to happen.

Also, the collecting of the double checked-bag fee at DBV needn't be an issue - if you know in advance you will have a bag, you should add it to each booking before hand as that will be cheaper anyway. Why would you wait to pay extra at the airport?

And in any case, a 90 minute connection at ATH should be no problem at all, even if you have to visit check in.

Last edited by Knobbgb; May 2, 2017 at 9:40 am
Old May 2, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by groovyfly
A couple of quick q's from a new A3 FFP-member:

- How quick are A3 at registering trips? I currently don't have any status and think if it would be possible to do the 6 A3 trips (2 reaching 12k miles and 4 starting 24k miles) in one mileage run. Or would I run the risk that my silver status doens't get recognised straight away when I reach it and I can't start getting to the next tier straight away. Is there a risk of this?

- What are suggested minimum connecting times at ATH? I have found a CPH-ATH-NAP with a 45 min layover on friday afternoon, but it will not book on A3 website, only through OTs. Do people with knowledge of ATH think this cutting it tight?

Thanks
//
Jakob
On your first point, you should be OK, with the mileage at least, as going from Blue to Silver, any 'leftover' mileage will be carried over towards your Gold qualification. The upgrade from Blue to Silver typically takes two or three days I believe. As for the actual segments - I'm not too sure if they work in the same way so I'd be careful and maybe try to extend your trip by a couple of days - especially if you're in Greece!

With the second point - again I think it will be OK so long as you are on the same PNR. The inter-Schengen transfer at ATH is VERY easy and efficient You will arrive (maybe by airbridge but more likely by bus) and should be directly into the lower level of departures, i.e. no need to pass any security. It's quite possible to be at the departure gate within 5 minutes of deplaning (10 more realistically), even if you are at a remote stand. Of course, this does not account for any delay on the first flight but being on the same ticket will at least protect you so long as you don't urgently HAVE to be in NAP that same day. Personally I wouldn't risk it for an important trip, but I've made 45 and 50 minute connections before - on one of them I even had time for a quick coffee in the lounge!

It seems odd to me that A3 won't allow the connection but the other site does. You need to be really sure that it is actually all on the same ticket.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all. I expected to pay the checked bag fee for both PNRs anyways. I will just prepay the checked bag fees online and not check-in online if that increases my chances of an agent combining both PNRs at DBV. Worst case scenario, I can always take a later flight out to HER.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:13 pm

Thanks all. I expected to pay the checked bag fee for both PNRs anyways. I will just prepay the checked bag fees online and not check-in online if that increases my chances of an agent combining both PNRs at DBV. Worst case scenario, I can always take a later flight out to HER.
Careful: I completely disagree with Knobbgb as far as combining the two PNRs is concerned! I've been told several times by A3 agents (not handling agents like in DBV but bona fide A3 ones) that PNRs can NOT be combined. They remain separate, but they just add a note to the second one that the passenger is expected to be on an incoming flight. This only has "informational" value and no protection in any sense!

Checking the bags through to a second flight is an easy task for them, especially when the second ticket is on A3 or *A partner. Still, they can refuse doing it (no obligation) and in my "flying career" it has only been refused once flying on two A3-issued tickets from SJO to CUN on Copa and never by an A3 agent.

As for a later flight to HER, yes, there are several. But if you miss yours, your entire reservation/ticket will be cancelled and you'll have to buy a new one. Worth the cost?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Careful: I completely disagree with Knobbgb as far as combining the two PNRs is concerned! I've been told several times by A3 agents (not handling agents like in DBV but bona fide A3 ones) that PNRs can NOT be combined. They remain separate, but they just add a note to the second one that the passenger is expected to be on an incoming flight. This only has "informational" value and no protection in any sense!

Checking the bags through to a second flight is an easy task for them, especially when the second ticket is on A3 or *A partner. Still, they can refuse doing it (no obligation) and in my "flying career" it has only been refused once flying on two A3-issued tickets from SJO to CUN on Copa and never by an A3 agent.

As for a later flight to HER, yes, there are several. But if you miss yours, your entire reservation/ticket will be cancelled and you'll have to buy a new one. Worth the cost?
Well, I did say LINK the PNR's not combine them. I was implying that, after check in, there would be a link of some sort to allow a bag to be checked for both segments. Of course, there will be none of the normal protections. As for being checked in or not - I'm just going from what I've been told. Mine were both 3rd party agents of handling companies (at LHR ans ARN) so who knows.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
My bad. Poor choices of words. I should've said linked or thru checked instead of "combined". Thanks everyone for your help!
Old May 3, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
On your first point, you should be OK, with the mileage at least, as going from Blue to Silver, any 'leftover' mileage will be carried over towards your Gold qualification. The upgrade from Blue to Silver typically takes two or three days I believe. As for the actual segments - I'm not too sure if they work in the same way so I'd be careful and maybe try to extend your trip by a couple of days - especially if you're in Greece!

With the second point - again I think it will be OK so long as you are on the same PNR. The inter-Schengen transfer at ATH is VERY easy and efficient You will arrive (maybe by airbridge but more likely by bus) and should be directly into the lower level of departures, i.e. no need to pass any security. It's quite possible to be at the departure gate within 5 minutes of deplaning (10 more realistically), even if you are at a remote stand. Of course, this does not account for any delay on the first flight but being on the same ticket will at least protect you so long as you don't urgently HAVE to be in NAP that same day. Personally I wouldn't risk it for an important trip, but I've made 45 and 50 minute connections before - on one of them I even had time for a quick coffee in the lounge!

It seems odd to me that A3 won't allow the connection but the other site does. You need to be really sure that it is actually all on the same ticket.
@Knobbgb

Thanks for your anwers on this! Hugely appreciated!
Old May 7, 2017, 7:22 pm

Gold requalification

Hi,

I am sorry, this must have been asked before, but I could not find it right away.
I need to fly my 4 legs with aegean and are about to book a flight from Munich to Santorini with one leg on Olympic (OK) + one leg on LH with an A3 flight number.

Will the later one be counting towards the 4 required legs with "Aegean ond/pr Olympic)?

Flight A31806
Operated byLufthansa

Thank you.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bate
Hi,

I am sorry, this must have been asked before, but I could not find it right away.
I need to fly my 4 legs with aegean and are about to book a flight from Munich to Santorini with one leg on Olympic (OK) + one leg on LH with an A3 flight number.

Will the later one be counting towards the 4 required legs with "Aegean ond/pr Olympic)?

Flight A31806
Operated byLufthansa

Thank you.
Nope. It actually has to be Aegean or Olympic metal, sorry.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:13 pm

Looking to book a one way business class flight from Moscow to Alexandria (HBE) which is served by Olympic from ATH with I think an economy only plane (DH8). The ticket on Opodo is showing as economy from ATH to Alex but with 2 pieces of luggage throughout. Would I get into the lounge at ATH or alternatively is there a paid lounge airside which is comfortable. Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: A3*G
What is the best place to check for cheap Aegean tickets? It seems matrix/google flights is quite inaccurate, and even Aegean's own site (the low cost calender) seems to reprice when I click through sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it possible to book open-jaws through Aegean, or should I book two one-ways?

Edit: my "use case" is to find four cheap segments to "some" island for a couple of days (I don't care which one that much..) from Amsterdam to Rome, so AMS-ATH-XYZ-ATH-FCO. My current method is to check all one-way pairs manually, but that is quite cumbersome..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.