Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I am taking the 9:20AM Aegean Air flight from CHQ to ATH on July 10, which is scheduled to arrive at 10:10AM. I am then on a separate ticket ATH to JFK on Delta, scheduled to depart at Noon.

Is that plenty of time to make my connection, or should I switch to the 6:30AM flight from CHQ? I won't have any checked bags.
That's plenty of time!
Old May 12, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by KLouis
That's plenty of time!
THANKS!
Old May 12, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
I'm sure this has been answered in the relevant thread, so apologies in advance for not having understood :P

I am looking into booking an award flight with Aegean. The normal price of the flight through Aegean's website is 150 euros (50 of which are taxes - the site does not specify the breakdown). When calling Aegean to book, the price is that of the taxes (50 euros) plus their 20 euro booking fee (and the miles, of course).

Is this the correct amount that should be charged? If I remember correctly from certain posts, there were people complaining that Aegean was calculating VAT on the full fare (instead of 0 euros), in addition to the regular airport taxes. But perhaps this only applies to award flights with other airlines, not Aegean.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:05 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You have the correct price - the VAT charge applies only in countries (like Canada) where a GST (or something similar) is charged on airline tickets. Because redemptions are considered completely flexible, they tend to incorrectly get labelled as full-fare tickets in airline systems and the tax charged accordingly on a several thousand dollar fare. Of course, in reality the fare is zero and so GST is a percentage of nothing.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
If I book a S-fare (Flex) for example from ATH-EFL is there a rule how many times I can change the ticket?

Is it also possible to change route after booking?
Old May 12, 2015, 4:20 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

You can change the ticket as many times as you like, always subject to paying any fare difference (although there's no transaction charge).

You would not be able to change route without refund and rebook, for which there would be a charge for refund.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:55 am

Is there currently a signup bonus for new members? Are any special steps required to get it, or jus use the normal signup form on the M&B website?

TNX
Old May 20, 2015, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You have the correct price - the VAT charge applies only in countries (like Canada) where a GST (or something similar) is charged on airline tickets. Because redemptions are considered completely flexible, they tend to incorrectly get labelled as full-fare tickets in airline systems and the tax charged accordingly on a several thousand dollar fare. Of course, in reality the fare is zero and so GST is a percentage of nothing.
Canadian airlines (Air Canada, WestJet) maintain that they are required by Canadian law to collect taxes on reward tickets of their own programs - even if the passenger doesn't pay a dime otherwise. If that applies to their own programs, why wouldn't it apply to M&B reward tickets issued for Canadian flights?
Old May 20, 2015, 4:13 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Canadian airlines (Air Canada, WestJet) maintain that they are required by Canadian law to collect taxes on reward tickets of their own programs - even if the passenger doesn't pay a dime otherwise. If that applies to their own programs, why wouldn't it apply to M&B reward tickets issued for Canadian flights?
So the original questioner is not misled - because we are taking about the VAT (GST) charged on the base airfare, not any of the other mandatory taxes such as departure tax, airport fees etc. Canada is one of the few countries in the world that charges VAT on the fare - most are zero rated.

However, a GST of x% on a zero award fare is still zero ...
Old May 20, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So the original questioner is not misled - because we are taking about the VAT (GST) charged on the base airfare, not any of the other mandatory taxes such as departure tax, airport fees etc. Canada is one of the few countries in the world that charges VAT on the fare - most are zero rated.

However, a GST of x% on a zero award fare is still zero ...
And I'm telling you that they are charging the tax on a hypothetical fare. It is not zero. The airlines maintain that they are obliged by law to do it that way.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:02 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Flame Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

... and if you look through many threads across many airline fora, you'll find that other airlines always refund those charges when pressed. There is no GST due on an A3 redemption. Period. If it happens, dispute it!
Old May 26, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Athens-Skyros, direct turns?

I am currently trying to find the cheapest 2 segments possible on A3 to renew *G and it seems that the Athens-Skyros route has the lowest prices. With that being said, they don't offer much service...several times per week, and only once on those days. From the flight times, it looks as though the plane is making direct turns to Athens. However, I cannot confirm this on flightradar24 as there is limited info.

Does anyone know if if the plane is making a direct turn? Hate to get stranded on Skyros for a few days if I am wrong and delays hit.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:04 pm

indeed, the aircraft returns directly to Athens. You should notify ground handling however when you arrive at SKU in order not to loose your flight back.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
indeed, the aircraft returns directly to Athens. You should notify ground handling however when you arrive at SKU in order not to loose your flight back.
Would notifying ground handling help? Would they be able to hold the aircraft to ensure his return?
Old May 26, 2015, 3:57 pm

because he would have to disembark, go to the terminal and board again the plane. probably that will take 5 minutes (in a small airport like SKU) but it would be better if they know that there is someone coming from the plane to board it again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.