Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Has it been confirmed that the 4 segments must be A3 operated? Ie a flight XXX-fra-ath-fra-XXX would not work if XXX-fra was LH operated sold as A3 flight number?
Confirmed. A3 flight number operated by LH posts as LH and DOES NOT count. However LH flight number operated by A3 DOES count. Personal experience.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Confirmed. A3 flight number operated by LH posts as LH and DOES NOT count. However LH flight number operated by A3 DOES count. Personal experience.
Thank you 😀
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by DELLAS
There are some routes where a decision is made by management that a J Class service is not needed due to demand. MAN happens to be one of them. The bulk of MAN-ATH is leisure traffic. If the stats / demand changes then Im sure they will add it. ^
But what would A3 lose by putting a J class onto that flight (or any flight) ?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Assuming staff costs and catering etc? If there is no demand there for J then what would they gain from having it?

AY also runs some flights to leisure destinations as all Y as I am sure many other airlines do too. All calculated by some fancy pencil pushers just my 2 cents
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Well if 2 rows then 12 Y class seats that may otherwise be full. If they could make money on offering J then they would. Its unfortunate for those that want to use their upgrades but again that does not make A3 money.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am just curious - How will an airline ever know if there is demand for J if they are not offering it?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
I am just curious - How will an airline ever know if there is demand for J if they are not offering it?
Market research?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by KLouis
Market research?
Yes that is one tool that could be used. It would give an fictive answer: if we were to offer j, would you buy it?

It would be difficult to research pricepoints (I have participated in market research benching different airlines, service concepts and price points and it was a very looong questioneer). And once you actually enter the market with the new offering, you are distorting the market - competitors might counter offer, customers may reevaluate their previous "truths"

It would probably be easier to just offer J and closely evaluate and adjust supply than to research to find the fictive demand.

Just my two cents, I'm certainly no airline tycoon.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:09 am

Well unless there are some companies that want to chat to A3 and provide them with guarantees of regular (J) business within the Manchester catchment area then I guess they have done the numbers. They would know what type of passenger flies on the route. Their booking habits and spend. The amount of Star FF program members that use the service etc...

The fact that A3 are making a profit in hard economic times in their local base would suggest they are at least competent to make such decisions.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I am not questioning their judhement. I am simply, out of curiosity, wondering how one can know the demand for product that isn't put on the market.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There should be easier ways. I know that they do have regular surveys at ATH - which will tell them for example:

- Average flights that *do* offer business class have xx percentage business, yy percentage leisure passengers
- Out of all business passengers only ZZ percent actually buy Business Class

So with those stats they could already determine that if MAN has a low percentage of business passengers, that the amount of business class seats sold would be too low to be profitable. Also they could include data from MAN airport which go beyond Aegean fliers - I am pretty sure the airports themselves also do surveys and offer/sell this kind of data to the airlines.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Newbie question on M&B *G

I have followed the amazing advice here am currently already qualified for *G on Aegean/M&B for 2016. To be clear, I achieved gold status first in Nov 2014. This expires in Jan 2016. I just received an email from M&B that I have already accumulated enough miles to stay in Gold tier for the next year as well. Does it make sense to accumulate miles in the same M&B account after achieving gold status for the next year? Is it better to accumulate miles in M&B or should I accumulate in UA Mileage Plus now? I mainly am interested in Star Alliance travel awards. Thanks again!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by sociableorg
... Does it make sense to accumulate miles in the same M&B account after achieving gold status for the next year? ...
It depends on your own preferences.
If you only care about retaining status with A3, ie you only care about collecting tier miles, then it does not make sense to accumulate more miles to A3 until your new membership year starts. This is because there is no roll-over of excess tier miles.

But in many other cases it makes sense to collect miles to only one program. This is because you will otherwise end up with 2 small stacks of award miles and it will be more difficult to redeem. Collecting all award miles to one FFP helps redeeming, even if some tier miles are lost.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:45 am

It depends on your own preferences.
If you only care about retaining status with A3, ie you only care about collecting tier miles, then it does not make sense to accumulate more miles to A3 until your new membership year starts. This is because there is no roll-over of excess tier miles.

But in many other cases it makes sense to collect miles to only one program. This is because you will otherwise end up with 2 small stacks of award miles and it will be more difficult to redeem. Collecting all award miles to one FFP helps redeeming, even if some tier miles are lost.
Thanks a lot. I will accumulate more miles with M&B and attempt Star Alliance miles redemption with M&B. Seems like this is the best option for me if I am looking at best bang for travel awards.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sociableorg
Thanks a lot. I will accumulate more miles with M&B and attempt Star Alliance miles redemption with M&B. Seems like this is the best option for me if I am looking at best bang for travel awards.
On the other side, it's a lot easier and cheaper to redeem with UA, which doesn't charge some of the taxes that M+B might. M+B also has a redemption fee. If you are looking to redeem in long-haul F, then obviously it will take longer to get the required number of miles in 2 schemes but if your redemptions tend to be 10000 miles for UA domestic flights or 12500 miles short-hauls, i.e. you have a specific UA redemption you want to make, then it might be worthwhile to temporarily collect a few miles in UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.