Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Families with young children. I don't know if they actually get 'Group 1' printed on boarding cards, but that's how the announcements go.
Yeah, last time I flew I had group 1 actually printed on my boarding pass (as did my wife). Both occupying business class seats and travelling with an infant . I checked another boarding pass, that had group 2 printed on it though and that was economy class (comfort flex) in a window seat (A), so I would guess that all 3 categories (parents with kids, disabled people and business class passengers) would be in group 1. Anyway with Aegean (well not only with Aegean, but we're in this sub-forum) boarding in groups is almost always disrupted by impatient or simply egocentric/presumptuous people.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by sociableorg
Looks like the Air Canada fare type is being used. So transatlantic leg on booking class ‘H’ is ~3500 tier miles.
Another newbie question: My current gold status expires 23/5 (tomorrow). My tier miles have not posted yet from earlier this week. With the estimated ~3500 I should qualify for gold again. Since the tier mile posting takes a few days, should I pro-actively do anything? For e.g. upon tier miles posting, if I fall short of gold eligibility by a few tier miles, can I still purchase tier miles (after 23/5) to become eligible?
Old May 22, 2022, 12:29 pm

sociableorg if the miles that post after 23/5 from the flight(s) you took up to 23/5 are enough for you to renew gold, then you don't have to do anything else, your status may temporarily drop to silver (makes you wonder if you can snap those 2 additional upgrade coupons and quickly apply them to a booking with I availability and then not have them deducted from the 4 gold coupons ), but once the miles get retro-credited you will gain gold again with the previous renewal date (23/5). However if something goes wrong with the miles you expect from Air Canada (and that's definitely a bet from what I can tell by reading here what others post) then buying tier miles post-23/5 won't have the effect you want, since they will have been purchased post gold expiration and won't count in the "gold year" that's due to expire tomorrow. At least that's the obvious answer, I don't know if anyone at Aegean can do anything for you if you reach out to them with such a request.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
sociableorg if the miles that post after 23/5 from the flight(s) you took up to 23/5 are enough for you to renew gold, then you don't have to do anything else, your status may temporarily drop to silver (makes you wonder if you can snap those 2 additional upgrade coupons and quickly apply them to a booking with I availability and then not have them deducted from the 4 gold coupons ), but once the miles get retro-credited you will gain gold again with the previous renewal date (23/5). However if something goes wrong with the miles you expect from Air Canada (and that's definitely a bet from what I can tell by reading here what others post) then buying tier miles post-23/5 won't have the effect you want, since they will have been purchased post gold expiration and won't count in the "gold year" that's due to expire tomorrow. At least that's the obvious answer, I don't know if anyone at Aegean can do anything for you if you reach out to them with such a request.
Thanks. On the forward leg of the journey, the tier miles credits came through as expected for the booking class I had. So hoping that the reverse leg (on the same booking class) yields the same number of miles (with these tier miles I should be gold). Looks like it is just a waiting game now and hoping nothing gets screwed up too badly.

[edit] Just spoke to Aegean customer service and provided the ticket number and booking reference for the return. They checked and confirmed that the number of miles credited will get me to gold. Just waiting for the credit to the account now (customer service wanted me to send in a missing miles request, but the Aegean website does not allow claims for less than 7-days prior).
giorginho likes this.

Last edited by sociableorg; May 23, 2022 at 2:37 am Reason: update
Old May 23, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I qualified for Gold two months back and am now sitting one flight away for requalification. Is there any arbitrage to waiting to requalify by delaying it?
Old May 24, 2022, 7:45 am

ExpatSomchai not really. Just note that any miles you try to credit to your Miles&Bonus account after you requalify and before the first of the two gold years expires (in other words before you have exactly 12 months until the status expires) will not count towards requalifying again for a 3rd time ​​​​​​.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:52 am

Any idea on how long it takes for gold to be re-instated? The tier miles I was waiting on is credited now (date of transaction is 20/5), but status still shows silver.
[edit] Reason I wondering is because I am traveling this weekend and would like to have lounge access

Last edited by sociableorg; May 25, 2022 at 11:31 am
Old May 25, 2022, 3:44 pm

sociableorg my best guess and hope is, that the status should turn gold again within 2 (3 at most) days after those miles got credited. I am fairly confident, that you will make it before the weekend ​​​​​​. However you could pro-actively try to call them and register the appropriate request, just to be on the safe side.
sociableorg likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:46 am

I think I might have misunderstood the gold tier re-qualification criteria. My gold status expired on 23/5 as mentioned earlier in this thread. I had the following tier miles credited to my account (on non-Aegean flights - all my flights were Star Alliance) between 23/5/2021 and 23/5/2022. Is this sufficient for re-qualification?

2021-2022

Total tier miles 9174

Last edited by sociableorg; May 26, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old May 26, 2022, 7:48 am

I think I might have misunderstood the gold tier re-qualification criteria. My gold status expired on 23/5 as mentioned earlier in this thread. I had the following tier miles credited to my account (on non-Aegean flights - all my flights were Star Alliance) between 23/5/2021 and 23/5/2022. Is this sufficient for re-qualification?

2022-2023

Total tier miles 9174
if not flown 4x A3/OA flights, then no
sociableorg likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:20 am

OK, then looks like I am S.O.L. I have just started traveling for work, so looks like I will have to go to Starbucks instead of the *A lounges :-).
[edit] Unless there is another way to get *G (buying miles will not work -> i am past that re-qualification date)
[edit 2] I have ~200K award miles sitting unused, so perhaps there is a way to use that to upgrade to gold (wishful thinking, I know).

Last edited by sociableorg; May 26, 2022 at 8:28 am
Old May 26, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
OK, then looks like I am S.O.L. I have just started traveling for work, so looks like I will have to go to Starbucks instead of the *A lounges :-).
[edit] Unless there is another way to get *G (buying miles will not work -> i am past that re-qualification date)
[edit 2] I have ~200K award miles sitting unused, so perhaps there is a way to use that to upgrade to gold (wishful thinking, I know).
You can't use award miles to upgrade your status. Tier miles and award miles are two separate things, they are not interchangeable.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:47 pm

I think I might have misunderstood the gold tier re-qualification criteria... (on non-Aegean flights - all my flights were Star Alliance) between 23/5/2021 and 23/5/2022. Is this sufficient for re-qualification?...
Total tier miles 9174
It's very unfortunate that you missed a pretty obvious piece of information, which appears pretty much at the center of the screen right after you log on to your Miles&Bonus account, which indicates how many miles you need to accumulate to retain status and if you haven't completed 4 Aegean/Olympic segments, then there are 2 indications, on the left with the reduced miles threshold and the number of Aegean flights you still have to take and on the right the amount of miles you need to gather regardless of the carrier. It's pretty straight-forward.
sociableorg likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There are two easy ways to regain A3 gold from silver, either fly TAP in J for around $1.5-1.8k from either side of the Atlantic, or fly AMS-SCL via YYZ in J for $1.5k, as long as at least two long haul legs are on TAP or AC respectively and credit at 200%.
sociableorg likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:26 am

It's very unfortunate that you missed a pretty obvious piece of information, which appears pretty much at the center of the screen right after you log on to your Miles&Bonus account, which indicates how many miles you need to accumulate to retain status and if you haven't completed 4 Aegean/Olympic segments, then there are 2 indications, on the left with the reduced miles threshold and the number of Aegean flights you still have to take and on the right the amount of miles you need to gather regardless of the carrier. It's pretty straight-forward.
Yes indeed. Completely my mistake. I have had gold status since 2015 -I was doing enough tier miles on non-aegean. With the extensions Aegean provided i maintained gold status until this month. I barely started to travel a few months ago , so the may 2022 target was aggressive (expiry date on the gold status). Now I know I have another 39k "any" tier miles to go, so have my work cutout . Thanks again for all the help here.
giorginho likes this.

Last edited by sociableorg; May 27, 2022 at 1:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.