Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Old May 22, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by n3l15
and my +1 was allowed into MXP fast track in economy based on my A3*G.
the way we do it usually is - I go first w/o asking, and when I am already through, she is trying, denied, then we ask, and she's let through.
I had this problem in Larnaca recently - unfortuately the approach asking once through did not work..."computer said no"...
Old May 30, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3*G
I've been flying A3 quite often over the past few years, always solo and always for work. This coming Christmas I'm taking my wife and 2 kids (2 and 8) to Austria. None of them has an *A status. Any ideas which of my A3*G perks I can use? Boarding should be ok as families go in first but what about lounge access or fast track?
Old May 30, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by MrArkadin
I've been flying A3 quite often over the past few years, always solo and always for work. This coming Christmas I'm taking my wife and 2 kids (2 and 8) to Austria. None of them has an *A status. Any ideas which of my A3*G perks I can use? Boarding should be ok as families go in first but what about lounge access or fast track?
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...-program/gold/

Lounge: one guest allowed (kids usually too)
Fast track: no guest.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...-program/gold/
Lounge: one guest allowed (kids usually too)
Fast track: no guest.
Thank you. I should have mentioned that I'm aware of the T&C's. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience in trying to access eg the ATH A3 Lounge as A3*G with wife and kids of no status? Any chance of getting in?

Last edited by MrArkadin; Jun 2, 2018 at 12:17 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:39 pm

My guess is that it is possible but it will certainly depend on the time of the day. I guarantee you they'll say no, for example, on weekdays between 7:30 and 9:30...
MrArkadin likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:24 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
what are the best routes/airlines that give lots of miles on intraeuropean flights (aka lowest cpm)?
I am able to travel during weekends, home base is OTP. AUA biz looks interesting, and their 35-40min layover in VIE for many flights to/from OTP looks interesting, from the past I learnt that if the flight leaves with 10min, the connection is gone, so 250EUR compensations

Last edited by GBobon; Jun 3, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by GBobon
what are the best routes/airlines that give lots of miles on intraeuropean flights (aka lowest cpm)?
It's not possible to answer your question.
Airlines with good mileage earning on A3 are for example: OS in C / SK most classes / ET all classes / etc.
Prices are depending on the route, airline, market, competition, sales, etc.
Find it out yourself!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:17 pm

Yeah, for intraeuropean only OS in C is attractive, however their prices are not the same SK and ET are good but for longhaul...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by GBobon
I am able to travel during weekends, home base is OTP. AUA biz looks interesting, and their 35-40min layover in VIE for many flights to/from OTP looks interesting, from the past I learnt that if the flight leaves with 10min, the connection is gone, so 250EUR compensations
Unfortunately, OTP is not the best airport when it comes to *A connections judging by my own experiences.

Flights on LX and SK (which normally earn decent to good) are almost non-existent and the days when they leave, they are on absolutely ...... times making connections impossible.

LH is good schedule-wise, but we all know how astonishingly bad the earnings are. Its a pity as often they have good fares in biz, but why bother booking when in their dreaded P class earning 0? LO is similar in this aspect from OTP, good connections, but at best just a handful of miles.

TK has some good connections as well, but I find them relatively overpriced on their routes from OTP compared to departure points from Western Europe, which are often (much) cheaper. For 4 short hops (eg. r/t OTP-IST-ADB) it's easily 250 EUR+ - so not the greatest CPM there.

Your suggestion of OS is a good one (well priced business class fares at times, good connections - and certainly palatable soft product compared to Lufthansa, Swiss or SAS).

Don't overlook A3 itself, while not the cheapest in business class there is often great CPM to be earned (search/book at an OTA) when flying OTP-ATH-XXX (Germany, France, Italy, UK are often cheap).

Another suggestion is to simply fly to another airport if you have a weekend to start the mileage run. Why not book a cheap direct return flight to places such as MXP, BRU or VIE - either with a *A carrier or a low cost airline? If you fly in morning, you still have the entire day ahead of you (eg. flying OTP-MXP at 6am). On flights to such places as Malpensa I hardly ever paid more than 15 EUR.

There is lots more available from such airports. If prices are right, you can first fly for example OTP-VIE, and then add for example VIE-CPH-XXX on SAS - breaking up the journey overnight, and fly back the return portions on Sunday (so basically buying 2 return tickets).With a bit of planning, you might even hit 4 sectors a day (OTP-VIE-BRU on OS; BRU-CPH-ARN on SK) this way.

In the end, I hardly bother doing mileage runs in Europe as its just not economical in most cases (with the exception of flights on A3 itself). I rather position to somewhere else and take a long-haul from there, for example on Ethiopian.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:38 am

I see your point and I totally agree with it... I asked here because I find it very difficult to do MRs within Europe and hope that someone knows some tricks... as you mentioned, there are many great deals from another European airports, but I am not happy at all to fly on separate tickets, specially when it involves positioning flights with a LCC and a business class ticket. Unfortunately I dont have enough time to fly longhauls (I already had 2 MRs on longaul flights and have one more for later this year) and I have to rely on earning some miles on intracontinental flights.

Great deals on LH Biz, great connections, but 0 miles. Austrian is the only good option I see. I observe that A3 is not happy to fly me from OTP via ATH to many airports... the only results I get for OTP-ATH-XXX-ATH-OTP (where XXX is an airport in the Central or Western Europe) is when I plan the trip as multicity, so not very successful when I try to get a normal return (multicity gives high prices).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
A3 can be booked easily OTP-ATH-XXX - but just not on their website as many connections are just not showing up! Best in my experience is just using Kayak to search for flights and then book at whatever OTA mentioned is cheapest for booking it (depends on payment method). Even though it is possible to search returns, you get better results when searching one ways (OTP-ATH-XXX) and then the return a day later separately. Especially if booked in advance low-season its easy to find flights to further destinations (WAW, LON) for 70 EUR or so one-way.

The only additional problem here is that on many days OTP is only served by one A3 flight, which leaves Athens in the early morning... Thus flying somewhere Saturday, only to return on Sunday won't always work as often a night in ATH is required this way (although in summer on Sundays there also seems to be a consistent evening flight ATH-OTP). So it might again require some puzzling! In the worst case, only the destination served by red eyes (Middle East/Caucasus/London/Iberian peninsula) or short domestic connections remain viable. Would make a hell (in a negative way! of a mileage run though, flying let's say on Saturday OTP-ATH-LHR, only to return on the red-eye to ATH and to connect back to OTP Sunday early morning... not the relaxed day/weekend trip away I try to make out of it.
GBobon likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:11 am

I saw some routes arriving very early morning at ATH and there will be about 3-4h layover to catch the morning flight to OTP, but is it the lounge in non-schengen area open during the night (around 3-5am)?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:44 pm

I've never flown Aegean before. On their website they show three fare types, one being business. Is the Business fare they show always fully flexible? In other words, if my Virgin Atlantic flight arrives late, can I switch to a later Aegean flight without penalty? I found the fare rules, but cannot ascertain what my fare class is. This is a GPB 225 business class one way fare LHR-ATH. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by riced; Jun 7, 2018 at 6:48 pm Reason: found rules
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by riced
I've never flown Aegean before. On their website they show three fare types, one being business. Is the Business fare they show always fully flexible? In other words, if my Virgin Atlantic flight arrives late, can I switch to a later Aegean flight without penalty? I found the fare rules, but cannot ascertain what my fare class is. This is a GPB 225 business class one way fare LHR-ATH. Thank you in advance.
Yes... but...
Firstly I'm not sure what the no-show rules are. I suspect you'd have to re-book before the departure of the original flight, so you may need to do it en-route. Secondly, the re-booking would be subject to any fare difference which can be quite a lot. The four A3 business class fare buckets are A,Z,D and C. Looking at flights in September as an example, the prices for these are 225, 415, 515 and 669 Euro respectively. So, if you re-book at the last minute (and do it online) there would be no fee but you'd likely be paying at least an extra 300 to 450 Euro for the new fare class.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:52 am

I have an issues booking award for multiple destination. It seem that for the multiple option there is only A3 destination and not link to worldwide airport, is this an IT error?? Is anyone having the same issue??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.