Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by kniesel
Is anyone able to get availability for Intra USA travel on the award miles booking tool?
I had a call with A3 a few weeks ago regarding this and I've been told that UA flights can't be booked online using the website but they are working on it. For now, this can be done only through the call center which also means a 20€ fee.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
For purposes of crediting to Miles&Bonus does anyone know how I can find out what a United Airlines marketed flight with TK would map to? According to A3's earning chart 'L' earns 50% on Turkish metal, but is it likely to change due to being booked on UA stock?

Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:35 am

Cross-member mapping of booking classes: one of Star Alliance's best kept secrets that almost everybody falls victim of one day! At any rate, I guess you'd improve your chances of finding out by asking in the UA forum...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Name Change on Child Ticket

I have two tickets on Olympic/Aegean in a month. They are on seperate reservations: JTR-ATH and ATH-ROM. When we booked the flights, I used my six year old son's legal name at the time, which has since been changed when we finalized his adoption. The issue now is that his passport is in his new (same as my) last name, but the ticket is in his former name. I have legal paperwork indicating that his name was changed. Aegean is asking for an old and new passport, showing two different names, along with any legal paperwork on a name change. I will send in what they ask for tonight (without an old passport as there was not one), however they are also telling me it will be a fee of 20 euro + ticket price difference. Two questions:

1. Has anyone had to do this or something similar (like a maiden/married name change)? Did they charge you a ticket price difference (which at this point is more than 3 times the original cost)?
2. Would Aegean let us on an intra-greece and/or international flight with a passport and legal documents regarding a name change?

This is quite silly, since AA, BA, and even Ryanair were able to make the name change without charge and without any documentation.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:49 pm

Aegean has a policy for charging a €20 fee for making possible changes to all tickets/reservations and I doubt that they'll waive this. This is not a price difference, as you write, but it's supposed to cover their expenses... Whether this is silly or not, is an entirely different story. Like the airlines you cite, they're also able to do this without a charge, they simply don't want to. And one of the reasons for this is the current refugee problem in Greece. There are currently tens of thousands of people who managed to get to Greece, and whose sole wish is to get out and finally reach Germany or Sweden or any other "promised land". A3's idea is that by making it more difficult to board a Schengen flight (I guess that by ROM you mean FCO) using a "new" name, they'll make more difficult for illegal immigrants to travel, something that is combined with hefty punitive feew for them if the passenger is caught/found. It certainly doen't help if I tell you that you should have waited with the booking till the adoption process was concluded, perhaps the easiest way out is to cancel your kid's ticket and buy a new one.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Hello,

Please, how many miles would give this itinerary?
Operated by Austrian, but domestic Swiss flights... I feel the trap coming

Thank you!

If it's a wet lease, it should be 1'000+1'000+750+750 = 3'500 miles, right?

Last edited by LacMajeur; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Assuming that these are wetlease flights, and not codeshares, I think that you would be right.

However..if these are codeshares than two things can happen.
1. The OS flights are seen as domestic, meaning you would earn 1000+1000+1000+750
2. The OS flights are seen as international, meaning that you would earn 1000+2000+2000+750

Reason for thinking they may be classified as international, is that the earning table for domestic specifically mentions Austria. Which these flights are not.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks for your answer. Yes, Austrian is a sweet spot especially in cross-border Z class, but apparently it's a wet lease.

https://www.swiss.com/corporate/EN/m...lease-20140627
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:36 pm

Can someone please clarify what I need to do to make Silver member lounge coupons work. Do you print the coupon and just present it at the lounge or do you have to phone up before hand to use it? I think my family on the together account can use the coupons if they travel without me but are there any special actions that need to be made. I am pretty sure they are only valid in Aegean lounges in Greece but can someone confirm.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:18 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
Can someone please clarify what I need to do to make Silver member lounge coupons work. Do you print the coupon and just present it at the lounge or do you have to phone up before hand to use it? I think my family on the together account can use the coupons if they travel without me but are there any special actions that need to be made. I am pretty sure they are only valid in Aegean lounges in Greece but can someone confirm.
Just present it - I would think you could even get away with handing over your card and asking them to deduct a lounge coupon, but doubtless it’s safer to have the physical coupon with the number.

However, your belief that someone can use the voucher without you being present is flawed, I’m afraid. The coupons are for you and a guest, meaning you must be travelling. If this weren’t the case, they would also be awarded to Gold members - but they’re not.

You are correct they can only be redeemed at A3 lounges - which would also include Larnaka.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:10 am

Thanks very much NWIFlyer for the explanation and putting me right on the lounge coupons. Hopefully I will get to give it a try in the next few months.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
A3 Qualification Quandary

I posted in another thread ('A Cautionary Tale') about how I screwed up my A3 qualification by mistakenly crediting to SQ when doing the A3 tier run to obtain the 2 segments for *S.

Next month I have an SK Y+ RT ARN-HKG ('A' fare) which should earn me around 20K miles. As I'll be just under 10K status miles before this trip it means that an extra 12K miles will be consumed during the process of getting bumped up to *S (I'll actually qualify for *S via 24K miles rather than 12K plus two A3 segments). That's obviously 12K miles less to roll over towards *G qualification and it means I'll start with around 6K instead of 18K. My SQ*G will expire in November and obviously I'd have preferred the fairly easy target of 6K (plus 4 A3) to aim for.

In that thread, FT user Knobbgb suggested that I could potentially get around this problem by deselecting the FFP before the flight and then launching a retro-claim after patching in an RT to ATH. Once my retro-claim is credited the system will see my two A3 segments and then only subtract 12K miles from the current total as it bumps me up to *S.

This sounds a great idea in practice but I just wanted to check with the A3 veterans here if it holds up. Will it work as expected?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I posted in another thread ('A Cautionary Tale') about how I screwed up my A3 qualification by mistakenly crediting to SQ when doing the A3 tier run to obtain the 2 segments for *S.

Next month I have an SK Y+ RT ARN-HKG ('A' fare) which should earn me around 20K miles. As I'll be just under 10K status miles before this trip it means that an extra 12K miles will be consumed during the process of getting bumped up to *S (I'll actually qualify for *S via 24K miles rather than 12K plus two A3 segments). That's obviously 12K miles less to roll over towards *G qualification and it means I'll start with around 6K instead of 18K. My SQ*G will expire in November and obviously I'd have preferred the fairly easy target of 6K (plus 4 A3) to aim for.

In that thread, FT user Knobbgb suggested that I could potentially get around this problem by deselecting the FFP before the flight and then launching a retro-claim after patching in an RT to ATH. Once my retro-claim is credited the system will see my two A3 segments and then only subtract 12K miles from the current total as it bumps me up to *S.

This sounds a great idea in practice but I just wanted to check with the A3 veterans here if it holds up. Will it work as expected?
Firstly, you probably shouldn't be double-posting. I think most of the regulars read all the threads so there's no need. Secondly, I'm not sure you took exactly what I suggested. I meant that you shouldn't claim the HKG flight at all until AFTER you have done the other two A3 segments and been upgraded to silver (I think you got that but the way you worded it above sounds wrong - I'd hate to have given wrong advice, even due to a misunderstanding). I just wanted to be clear in case you misunderstood. Also - I said that I was just GUESSING this MIGHT work. I really don't know and I would also value the input of others.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Knobbgb, I don't think it's quite the same as a double post, as the bit I posted here was specifically intended to get feedback on the viability of the retro claim strategy you mentioned, and I didn't reproduce my litany of woes in the original thread as to how this issue came about in the first place. Even though I appreciate your suggestion on the retro claim idea, I think it's very easy for an individual comment like yours in a thread to be missed, even by the regulars, so I thought that posting a specific question about this suggestion, in a thread dedicated to Q and A for newbies would be OK (and yes, I'm a newbie to A3).

Sorry if I misworded your suggestion - what you've written above makes perfect sense to me. I now realise that I'll have certainly crossed the 12K barrier after making the A3 flights in any case due to the A3 flights themselves and two connecting flights prior to ARN-HKG that I hadn't included in the totals. So it will be in exactly the way you describe (retro claim after breaching the 12K mark and getting *S). The issue then is simply whether these miles will count towards *G qualification when the flight itself took place before the A3 segments gave me *S.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Hi, I would be grateful if any of you could help me with this. Earlier today while booking a flight for my wife and me (ATH-CPH on A3) I missed the last letter in her first name (Sofi instead of Sofie). I called their customer service right away to have it fixed but apparently there is a €20 charge for that. Their representative also told me that the change NEEDS to be done because my wife will be refused boarding if the name on her passport does not match exactly the name on her ticket.

This has happened to me in the past with both SK (mixed my first with my last name when SK had first changed the interface of their website) and LH (the colleague who booked my tickets mistyped a letter in my last name). In both cases I contacted them immediately, and this turned out to be a no-issue resolved after a two-minute communication with the airline (through their online chat, not even a call required). I am surprised by how icky has A3 become lately...

Anyway, does any of you guys have any similar experience when travelling form ATH? Do you think this could be an issue? Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.