Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:20 am

Guys just one clarification, is there any chance I can do an upgrade P or U booking code flights by complimentary seat upgrade? or no chance to do that. thank you

booked this one for 125€:

to receive A3 Gold till 1. Feb 2020 at least
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by romans
Guys just one clarification, is there any chance I can do an upgrade P or U booking code flights by complimentary seat upgrade? or no chance to do that. thank you

booked this one for 125€:

to receive A3 Gold till 1. Feb 2020 at least
Depends on your ticket type. If it's a Flex one, and you have unused upgrade vouchers, you can call A3 CS and request an upgrade. If there is I class availability, you (usually) get upgraded immediately; otherwise you are waitlisted. If your ticket is a GoLight one on U, P or T fare, then it is not voucher-upgradeable. What you could then is purchase an upgrade using M&B miles, but I think that this is subject to the same availability as the voucher upgrades (I think both come out of the I bucket, but I am not sure since I have never purchased an upgrade this way... In most cases I have found it to be a rather low value-for-miles). Alternatively, if you want to fly Business really badly, you can also try offering a bid online through the A3 app or their website, but this is of course not complimentary.

Note that in either case accrued mileage will be according to the purchased Econ fare bucket (P/U) and not the upgraded/Business one.

There is of course always a chance that you may receive an op-up at the gate, but this is a really slim one and definitely not something you should bet on.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West
Depends on your ticket type. If it's a Flex one, and you have unused upgrade vouchers, you can call A3 CS and request an upgrade. If there is I class availability, you (usually) get upgraded immediately; otherwise you are waitlisted. If your ticket is a GoLight one on U, P or T fare, then it is not voucher-upgradeable. What you could then is purchase an upgrade using M&B miles, but I think that this is subject to the same availability as the voucher upgrades (I think both come out of the I bucket, but I am not sure since I have never purchased an upgrade this way... In most cases I have found it to be a rather low value-for-miles). Alternatively, if you want to fly Business really badly, you can also try offering a bid online through the A3 app or their website, but this is of course not complimentary.

Note that in either case accrued mileage will be according to the purchased Econ fare bucket (P/U) and not the upgraded/Business one.

There is of course always a chance that you may receive an op-up at the gate, but this is a really slim one and definitely not something you should bet on.
Thanks! I was just thinking about how and when to use those (probably I will not use them at all). It will be Go light booking (cheapest one), defo wasn't flex. I don't care about business in my case since it will be classic EU business.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: A3 *G
Hi all, I wanted to use an upgrade coupon and I thought that selecting the "flex" fare would do the job. However, I can see that for some flights the T fare is true both for GoLight and Flex fares. In such a case there is no way get the upgrade using the coupon, correct? That's weird, I thought it was just about adding those 40€...

It is required a valid and paid Economy Class (Go Light or Flex) ticket with confirmed reservation in any booking class, apart from the booking classes U, P, T. Award tickets, charter flights and barter tickets, are not eligible for Seat Upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by jumpallover
Hi all, I wanted to use an upgrade coupon and I thought that selecting the "flex" fare would do the job. However, I can see that for some flights the T fare is true both for GoLight and Flex fares. In such a case there is no way get the upgrade using the coupon, correct? That's weird, I thought it was just about adding those 40€...
Can you give us an example?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by jumpallover
It seems that they have made a confusing sentence on one of their pages (Confusing explanation here). If you look at the terms on their Gold benefits page, you can clearly see that flex fares are OK for an upgrade, even under U T P booking class.

Seat upgrade is not permitted: 1) For the following booking classes: U, P, T, in GoLight ticket. 2) When the ticket includes any other Airline or for charter flights. 3) For free tickets, award tickets from miles redemption, tickets on non-published fare and/or fare that is not displayed in the ticket, group and barter tickets.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
It seems that they have made a confusing sentence on one of their pages (Confusing explanation here). If you look at the terms on their Gold benefits page, you can clearly see that flex fares are OK for an upgrade, even under U T P booking class.
Oh, ok this makes sense. Yes, I was referring to the link you posted which seems a bit misleading. Anyway, I'll call just to be sure before buying the Flex T class and use the coupon. Thanks a lot!!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I booked the AM VIE-ATH a few months ago and was waitlisted until ~T-47. It doesn't seem they've fully processed the upgrade yet, but CheckMyTrip says I'm confirmed, and OLCI has me in J as well. I guess I'll have to call in to clean up my reservation once I get off this train. I'd almost given up hope since the flight was down to C1 yesterday, and calling in, the agent told me I hadn't cleared. A pleasant surprise to say the least
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
An update on the situation where upgraded flights are not credited automatically to the M&B account:
I just did the online retro claim for an upgraded flight and as always, the system refused it. So I called the Gold line and was told that there is a new procedure in place for the "next several months" where all upgraded flights will only post after 10 days in the M&B account. if they don't show up after 10 days, you need to do the online retro claim.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
PRG-ATH on waitlist, ATH-BUD not J cabin on the flight. I flew BUD-ATH in winter schedule 2 or 3 years ago and definitely with J cabin, not in summer season this year tho. Any other routes with only Y cabin?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by 747jetter
PRG-ATH on waitlist, ATH-BUD not J cabin on the flight. I flew BUD-ATH in winter schedule 2 or 3 years ago and definitely with J cabin, not in summer season this year tho. Any other routes with only Y cabin?
Most, if not all, seasonal ones and a few more.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:24 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by 747jetter
KRK, i know
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:50 am

Hi folks, I will turn gold with the next *A (non A3) flight but I still have a spare coupon that I'd like to use. Can I book an A3 flight for "the future" (november/december) and ask for upgrade? I am wondering if the upgrade gets cleared before turning gold that's still valid or not. The point is that before actually flying the upgraded flight I will turn gold (and automagically lose the remaining *A S benefits). Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: A3*G
If the upgrade gets cleared before you turn gold, they will use your available coupon and issue a new business class ticket that will be valid regardless of what happens next. However, it seems like nowadays upgrades clear only 2-3 days before the flight, so your silver member coupon will have expired after you turn gold and they will use whatever coupons you have available as a gold member.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by LPK956
If the upgrade gets cleared before you turn gold, they will use your available coupon and issue a new business class ticket that will be valid regardless of what happens next. However, it seems like nowadays upgrades clear only 2-3 days before the flight, so your silver member coupon will have expired after you turn gold and they will use whatever coupons you have available as a gold member.
Oh, ok, that was my fear. I will try to squeeze a visit to Athens before if I can, if not, I will let you guys know Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.