Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: A3 *G
I just booked an Athens to Marrakesh round-trip for November while the current 50% sale is on (I was going to book for October as it was pretty cheat anyway). I just called the dedicated Gold line and both flights were upgraded immediately. For info, there are two rows of C class (8 seats) on each flight and none were already selected. So that's 9hrs in business class and 3700 status miles all for 120 Euro. Nice!
Old May 31, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
I just redeemed some vouchers on TLV-ATH-FRA. I booked today for travel later this month. I have to say the chap at A3 was excellent. 10/10 for customer service.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I just booked an Athens to Marrakesh round-trip for November while the current 50% sale is on (I was going to book for October as it was pretty cheat anyway). I just called the dedicated Gold line and both flights were upgraded immediately. For info, there are two rows of C class (8 seats) on each flight and none were already selected. So that's 9hrs in business class and 3700 status miles all for 120 Euro. Nice!
I just had my first less-than-perfect experience from the Aegean call centre!

A week after upgrading my RAK-ATH flight I received an email asking me to contact them about the upgrade. It seems there is extra tax to pay, which is fine I guess, but I was surprised about the amount - an additional 27 Euro! I thought the extra amounts charged for business class by places like LHR (13 Euro) and CDG (11 Euro) were high. Anyway, I'm getting a free upgrade so I can hardly complain, but I thought I'd share for the information of others.

To be honest, I wouldn't have upgraded in the first place if I'd known about the tax. I only did it to use up my vouchers. Since I'll already have lounge access and a free bag I asked them to revoke the upgrade but they said I would lose the voucher if I did that - they refused to 'refund' it even though they made a mistake. Also, the payment was dealt with less than efficiently. It was the first agent I'd spoken to that had trouble with English. I tried to tell him that the problem was probably with the tax but he didn't understand and I was on hold for a total of 12 minutes while he twice went to get help. The whole call took 21 minutes which is probably longer than I've been connected to A3 in TOTAL before!

Anyway, I just needed to share. Ha - I guess we're spoiled by the usual flawless service we receive from A3 eh?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I upgraded one of my flights a few days ago. According to my phone log it took 2 minutes 45 seconds. Have to admit that I had all the details ready and the lady was kind of short on her answers (Including the 'Okbye' at the end of the call), but still. Generally, as long as you have your account and booking details ready it can be done veeery quickly.

What I am wondering though is, if due to the sales (first time 50%?) their callcenter is busier than normal. Maybe they have some temporary people working there to help with the increased load? That may explain the experience posted above..
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I upgraded one of my flights a few days ago. According to my phone log it took 2 minutes 45 seconds. Have to admit that I had all the details ready and the lady was kind of short on her answers (Including the 'Okbye' at the end of the call), but still. Generally, as long as you have your account and booking details ready it can be done veeery quickly.

What I am wondering though is, if due to the sales (first time 50%?) their callcenter is busier than normal. Maybe they have some temporary people working there to help with the increased load? That may explain the experience posted above..
Yeah, the experience is usually excellent, hence I thought it worthwhile posting.

Maybe they're ramping-up for the summer season and adding a few new staff? I have a English friend (with fluent Greek too) who just started working for Goldair at Paros airport. Not the same thing of course, but it's a good sign for the economy and the airline and travel industries that there are more jobs around.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:58 am

I just booked a ticket last wee for travel now in June, and called immediately to upgrade. The process was very quick. The entire duration of the call was 4 min 43 secs, and an email with the new ticket was in my inbox a few minutes later. It was extremely efficient. This is a huge plus when it comes to having status with A3.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:55 am

I called yesterday to upgrade 2 flights for November (both had I availability and took advantage of the 50% discount S fares). I was surprised that the automatic system let me know that there was a 1 min. waiting time in the gold line (not that is much, but still...). The whole process for both flights lasted less than 3 min. I knew what i wanted and the agent probably knew that as well. It was the first time that I was asked if i want to hear the T&Cs for cancellation of coupon (usually they just repeat them).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
OK, so I played the game and lost today. We have a TXL-ATH-SKG return coming up and I waitlisted TXL-ATH-SKG and ATH-TXL. ATH-SKG was wailisted using last year's coupons which have since expired and the international flights with this year's coupons. Unfortunately, they decided to clear the ATH-SKG leg last night with 2 of my coupons from this year leaving me with not enough coupons for both international flights. I rang up and was told this is the procedure and the agent even listened to the calls I made to them back in November and confirmed I was informed of this at the time (I admit I was trying it on a little bit but it was worth a try ). So now we're stuck in Y for TXL-ATH as I need to keep the 2 remaining coupons for the return to avoid having to pay a bag fee for my partner. So to summarise: cancel a waitlist for a segment if you don't want them to use this year's coupons on it!

As a side note, I'm hoping for an opup on TXL-ATH as it seems likely to be oversold. That's the only chance I have left now. Wish me luck!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:45 am

Yesterday I booked a return ticket ATH-AMS for my wife through an OTA. On a single reservation/PNR it had KLM flights outbound and A3 flights inbound (Skyteam and *A).

I'm not entirely sure if the KLM segment fare is based on a roundtrip, possibly not - they may be two one-ways on a single reservation. However the ticket price this way was about 30 euro less than booking two one-ways separately (KLM one-ways are notoriously almost as expensive as roundtrips).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is: Would such tickets be upgradable? The reservation is made by a 3rd party, there are KLM segments and A3 segments. The KLM segment has a different eticket (074) than the A3 segment (390).

To me this implies that the eticket for the Aegean segment is actually issued by Aegean, and they should have full control over it for upgrades. But I'm not sure if they would want to touch such reservation at all. Any experiences?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:29 am

Yesterday I booked a return ticket ATH-AMS for my wife through an OTA. On a single reservation/PNR it had KLM flights outbound and A3 flights inbound (Skyteam and *A).

I'm not entirely sure if the KLM segment fare is based on a roundtrip, possibly not - they may be two one-ways on a single reservation. However the ticket price this way was about 30 euro less than booking two one-ways separately (KLM one-ways are notoriously almost as expensive as roundtrips).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is: Would such tickets be upgradable? The reservation is made by a 3rd party, there are KLM segments and A3 segments. The KLM segment has a different eticket (074) than the A3 segment (390).

To me this implies that the eticket for the Aegean segment is actually issued by Aegean, and they should have full control over it for upgrades. But I'm not sure if they would want to touch such reservation at all. Any experiences?
My guess would be that it WOULD be upgradeable. Aegean probably can't even see the KLM sector. Just look at your booking on the A3 site, using the ticket number - it probably shows up as a one-way booking. Since it's already booked, what's stopping you from just calling them? You'll have a definitive answer in 2 minutes...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:17 am

Thanks. Well this is where it gets confusing.

When I open this specific booking on the A3 webste it shows the A3 and KLM sectors. It only shows the KL e-ticket number, together with a message that this itinerary cannot be modified online.

However in the full e-ticket that I received from the TA both a KL and A3 e-ticket number is included. So I'm guessing that the A3 website somehow doesn't properly handle having two etickets.

For this specific flight there was no availability for upgrades (august) and the price difference to book a fare class that would be upgradable with coupons was significant (as I would have to go through the A3 website then). But I'm thinking to book similar tickets for myself in the future, if upgrading would be possible.

I'll pass through ATH tomorrow so maybe I should just ask them at the ticket desk. Maybe they would know.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
[...]So I'm guessing that the A3 website somehow doesn't properly handle having two etickets.[...]
This seems to be indeed the case. I was recently booked on a multi-city trip (ARN-MUC-SFO-JFK-FRA-ATH), all LH-operated apart from the US domestic one (UA) and the last one (A3). Although I was able to reserve a seat in all of them, including the UA flight, this was not the case with the A3 one. When I attempted to do this through A3's website, the usual "Add seat" option did not show up at all. It was moreover stated that I have no free checked bags (more precisely, a hyphen appeared under "baggage allowance"). On top there was a message in red informing me that adding additional luggage was not available online, so I should call them...

Perhaps non-compatible booking engines?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
T-44 and my WAW-ATH bookings are still showing as separate (one for the original fare class and one as 'I'). I guess this means I'm out of luck?

Question: I'm already being offered OLCI. If I go ahead and OLCI does this remove the chance of the upgrade coupon ever going through?

I ask b/c the longer I wait for OLCI the worse my seat options will be.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:32 am

Try checking in T-24. You might be surprised by the outcome!

Also, note that there have been cases of people being upgraded at the gate, or i have seen people being upgraded in plane!
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by yurtripper
T-44 and my WAW-ATH bookings are still showing as separate (one for the original fare class and one as 'I'). I guess this means I'm out of luck?

Question: I'm already being offered OLCI. If I go ahead and OLCI does this remove the chance of the upgrade coupon ever going through?

I ask b/c the longer I wait for OLCI the worse my seat options will be.
Why don't you call and make a seat reservation? At least, you have an allocated seat then. I do not know how an OLCI affects waitlisted upgrade requests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.