Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Hmm - it seems for this first time the upgrade with coupon won't work for me. It's T-2, and the Aegean webpage showed (only) 2 business class places available 2 days ago. Yesterday, it was 1 business, 1 economy. This morning, 1 business and 2 economy. And now only economy (no limits). I assume, 2 people got upgraded either with coupon or with the bidding process. Seems my coupon was too far below in the waitlist. And on top, they assigned me place 16B at checkin - so no more up front seats for M&B Gold anymore ?
It hasn't been free for Gold cardholders for quite some time...

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I know that - but so far I (and some other Gold members) were assigned up front places at OLCI. Oh well, you get what you pay for
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:42 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Were there any up front seats available when you did check in? If there is nothing available they would not be able to 'upgrade' you..
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Were there any up front seats available when you did check in? If there is nothing available they would not be able to 'upgrade' you..
Yes - a lot of up front places were available...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
2 A3/OA coupons

I have 2 upgrade coupons will be expired by Nov2019. I would like to gift them to a fellow member who has booked flgiht qualified for upgrade. DM me for details.

Last edited by FlyingJazzy; Apr 26, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Originally Posted by FlyingJazzy
I have 2 upgrade coupons will be expired by Nov2019. I would like to gift them to a fellow member who has booked flgiht qualified for upgrade. DM me for details.
They are gone.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Used 6 vouchers over last week (3 different silver member vouchers being used)
3 different flights, 2 Pax each time. Called about a week ahead for each flight, got waitlisted for all, they all cleared 2 days before departure.
all calls were pretty efficient and quick
Old May 16, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Im departing tomorrow, waitlisted still but no upgrade. Is there any issues if I OLCI now or should I wait?

I have allways had to wait list but this is the first time no upgrade at T24 😂
Old May 16, 2019, 2:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of my last 4 A3 flights on which I wanted to use upgrade coupons, 3 of them flew off with one seat empty in business class and me sitting close enough behind the curtain to know the seats were empty; and 1 had me end up in business class and earning business class miles without the upgrade coupon being used.

This week or next, I will try to redeem upgrade coupons for 2 A3/OA flights and see how it goes.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Are people getting gate upgrades or are they all done ahead of time? Looking bad bad my flight as only 2 rows of business cabin and 2 seats blocked ... 3/4 flights cleared
Old May 16, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: A3*G
Last year I had two gate coupon upgrades. Had been waitlisted for months.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
Last year I had two gate coupon upgrades. Had been waitlisted for months.

Good to know 👍 so some hope still
Arrivals likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
For my 2 flights where I am waitlisted I have following:

1) 1 Flight I could choose business seats. Coupon is still in my account

2) 1 Flight gave error when sending my seat selection

​​​​​​Is the 1st flight then confirmed als upgraded? Or do you get a mail when you get the upgrade?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:29 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
for 1) open your booking on aegean then click Show details and if booking class is I then it was upgraded, but usually when the upgrade request clears the coupon is gone from your account.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Miles and More
Does requesting an upgrade with voucher only for one segment on a booking with connecting flights (e.g. Booking FRA-ATH-SKG, Upgrade request only for FRA-ATH) have an impact on upgrade availability. I always had more luck in having upgrade requests cleared for direct flights than for single upgrades on connecting flights. Possibly, thats only coincidence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.