Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as Waitlisted.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Is there I availability for those flights? I used to always check for I availability, then book the flight, and then upgrade. So far that has never resulted in a waitlisted flight...but I have not upgraded anything in the last 6 months or so. Have things changed?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Is there anything one can do to request WL to clear

My spouse and I have been waitlisted for month DME ATH for a flight that's in about 50 hours from now. There are two seats shown taken on the seatmap out of 12, C9 but I0 is showing in EF, and Upgrade Challenge email was received yesterday to bid 140 Euros per person. We decided not to bid, a day after the email the number of seats available remained the same so it doesn't look like anyone took the offer. However, our waitlist still hasn't been processed.

First, it clearly shows upgrade bids take precedence over coupons. Second, is there anything we can do to influence the WL clearing, like calling Gold line? Is there a possibility they just wont clear the waitlist and Business will go with empty seats and we would remain in coach in that scenario or do they always clear waitlist if there are open seats in business? Flying from DME im not sure there will be anybody at the airport who knows how to clear these coupons if it comes down to clearing before departure time.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by asnovici
My spouse and I have been waitlisted for month DME ATH for a flight that's in about 50 hours from now. There are two seats shown taken on the seatmap out of 12, C9 but I0 is showing in EF, and Upgrade Challenge email was received yesterday to bid 140 Euros per person. We decided not to bid, a day after the email the number of seats available remained the same so it doesn't look like anyone took the offer. However, our waitlist still hasn't been processed.

First, it clearly shows upgrade bids take precedence over coupons. Second, is there anything we can do to influence the WL clearing, like calling Gold line? Is there a possibility they just wont clear the waitlist and Business will go with empty seats and we would remain in coach in that scenario or do they always clear waitlist if there are open seats in business? Flying from DME im not sure there will be anybody at the airport who knows how to clear these coupons if it comes down to clearing before departure time.
From my experience and understanding there is nothing you can actively do to push the upgrade. If there is sufficient availability you will be upgraded either at T-49 (or T-48.1), at the baggage drop or even at the gate. It is also likely that if Y is quite full, they will re-assign some of the available C seats to the Y cabin. Unlike America and Asia, European short-haul C is practically Y with the middle seat free, so no change of aircraft is required for this reassignment, and it can be done literally like 5 mins before departure.

You can try calling A3's gold line but most likely they will simply tell you to wait. If however there are seats available in C it is very likely that you will get upgraded. As a rule of thumb I check on expertflyer whether the C seats sold are not equal to an exact multiple of 4. If say, 2, 5 or 6 C seats are shown as blocked, and you placed your two-person upgrade request early enough, it is very likely that you are getting two of the remaining C seats. (A colleague was once denied a voucher upgrade on a 70% full plane because the first 3 C rows were already complete, and apparently they preferred not to move the curtain yet one row behind just to accommodate a single non-paying passenger, so he stayed in row 4 as Y.) Of course this is not a rule, and you may get (or been denied the upgrade) irrespectively of this.

Good luck with this, and have safe a trip in either case!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by asnovici

Hello asnovici! My recent experiences were that they upgraded me last minute. One time I was told I would be upgraded an hour before departure if there was a business seat available (they had no business meal from Greece, eventually got some from the airport). Another time I was upgraded like 20 minutes before departure when most guests had already boarded. I was upgraded both times, but that's not my idea of the upgrade experience. Calling doesn't change anything.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:06 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
I was upgraded at T-72, but when I called in that morning the Customer Service they told me I am cleared but the confirmation email will follow during the day. I received also the bidding email, so then youll probably be cleared
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I recently received an upgrade confirmation for 2 at T-72, although the Aegean webpage showed no availabilty for this flight (neither economy nor business) at the same time.
Experience shows (also from family members) that normally the upgrade clears at T-72 even when on waitlist. Anything past that, I would try to give a call and ask whether there is a reason it hasn't cleared.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Ive a flight HER-ATH-ZRH for two pax.
HER-ATH has 3x seats in I available, however ATH-ZRH only 1 seat in I

Can A3 upgrade just some legs and just for one of the pax or does it need to be for all? Further can the other pax stay on a waitlist I guess?
What are your experiences?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Atlantico
Ive a flight HER-ATH-ZRH for two pax.
HER-ATH has 3x seats in I available, however ATH-ZRH only 1 seat in I

Can A3 upgrade just some legs and just for one of the pax or does it need to be for all? Further can the other pax stay on a waitlist I guess?
What are your experiences?
Yes, you can upgrade one or both, and everybody can stay on the WL (it's free!). But why on earth upgrade a short flight like HER-ATH?
East_and_West likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I recently received an upgrade confirmation for 2 at T-72, although the Aegean webpage showed no availabilty for this flight (neither economy nor business) at the same time.
Experience shows (also from family members) that normally the upgrade clears at T-72 even when on waitlist. Anything past that, I would try to give a call and ask whether there is a reason it hasn't cleared.
same in my case
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, you can upgrade one or both, and everybody can stay on the WL (it's free!). But why on earth upgrade a short flight like HER-ATH?
Thank you! Did so now... Well I know HER-ATH is short, however I can't use the vouchers and before they are gone rather that short flight then nothing :-)
How do I nowadays see if waitlisted? Not having myflights App it's not that easy.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Atlantico
Thank you! Did so now... Well I know HER-ATH is short, however I can't use the vouchers and before they are gone rather that short flight then nothing :-)
How do I nowadays see if waitlisted? Not having myflights App it's not that easy.
Be a super nice person and give them to a friend, a relative, or a fellow FTer on a longer A3 flight
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by blackball
Be a super nice person and give them to a friend, a relative, or a fellow FTer on a longer A3 flight
Good point to be considered....
jerry_greece and blackball like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by GBobon
I was upgraded at T-72, but when I called in that morning the Customer Service they told me I am cleared but the confirmation email will follow during the day. I received also the bidding email, so then youll probably be cleared
Which number is advised to call within T72? (am a gold member)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:47 am

I called the standard one (that time I was still silver)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by ELAL
Which number is advised to call within T72? (am a gold member)
Log into the website and go to 'My Miles&Bonus Account'. Scroll to the box titled 'My Gold Benefits!' and there is the dedicated Gold member number you can call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.