Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 6:35 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
his flights are eligible for upgrade, but there is no inventory on I booking class (award), so in such cases you can opt-in for being waitlisted.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:47 am

GBobon checked Expertflyer for me, and Expertflyer actually listed it as I0 (that's I zero), although both A3 and UA can find seats in I-class.

Last edited by RedChili; May 29, 2018 at 6:48 am Reason: Clarification
Old May 29, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
..but the A3 award search checks exactly that, availability in I class. Has anyone ever redeemed a business class award on A3 in another class than I?
Old May 29, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Is it just me all you all find it more difficult to find availability?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
It's definitely more difficult. My last four requests have all been waitlisted - but they were all successful eventually. Up to then, I had NEVER been put on the list. My guess is that they areholding back some capacity for the new paid upgrades, which makes sense I guess.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Thumbs down

I find it more difficult and rather painful too.
My ATH-LCA flight cleared within a few days of being put on the waitlist. The other segment, LHR-ATH cleared about 50 hours prior to the flight - just enough time to pay the extra tax, reselect the special meal and window seat.

The LCA-ATH flight did not clear, but I was asked at check-in if I wanted to upgrade. I declined as I wanted to use last remaining coupon to upgrade my travel companion on the next segment. That next segment, ATH-LHR did not clear either and due to me declining the upgrade offer at LCA check-in, I found myself with a "Standby" boarding pass for ATH-LHR (in economy). This meant going to the ticket desk at ATH, who re-directed me to a check-in counter, who re-directed me to the boarding gate...After much walking around and frankly getting fed-up, I reached the lounge and later on, once at the gate, the Standby pass was exchanged for a non-standby pass (in ecconomy). The staffer told me there were no upgrades available and then when I scanned the pass, the machine beeped and the computer issued me a boarding pass in C (using up my coupon); my travelling companion did not recieve the upgrade.

This short-notice upgrade meant I lost my special meal. The crew did find me some food but it was distinctly plain. Perhaps it was my economy meal replated or perhaps a crew meal?

Starter (leaves from a lettuce and 3x half cherry tomatos).

Main (Mash potato, 3x slices of carrot, some beans and tiny bit of tomato sauce as seen in photo).

Dessert (Lemon cake - this one was part of the business class meal)

Overall, it did not make for a smooth nor satisfying experience, and part of me wondered if I would have been better to have stayed in economy with the adjacent seat empty (as shown on the app).
Old May 30, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield
I find it more difficult and rather painful too.
My ATH-LCA flight cleared within a few days of being put on the waitlist. The other segment, LHR-ATH cleared about 50 hours prior to the flight - just enough time to pay the extra tax, reselect the special meal and window seat.

The LCA-ATH flight did not clear, but I was asked at check-in if I wanted to upgrade. I declined as I wanted to use last remaining coupon to upgrade my travel companion on the next segment. That next segment, ATH-LHR did not clear either and due to me declining the upgrade offer at LCA check-in, I found myself with a "Standby" boarding pass for ATH-LHR (in economy). This meant going to the ticket desk at ATH, who re-directed me to a check-in counter, who re-directed me to the boarding gate...After much walking around and frankly getting fed-up, I reached the lounge and later on, once at the gate, the Standby pass was exchanged for a non-standby pass (in ecconomy). The staffer told me there were no upgrades available and then when I scanned the pass, the machine beeped and the computer issued me a boarding pass in C (using up my coupon); my travelling companion did not recieve the upgrade.

This short-notice upgrade meant I lost my special meal. The crew did find me some food but it was distinctly plain. Perhaps it was my economy meal replated or perhaps a crew meal?

Starter (leaves from a lettuce and 3x half cherry tomatos).

Main (Mash potato, 3x slices of carrot, some beans and tiny bit of tomato sauce as seen in photo).

Dessert (Lemon cake - this one was part of the business class meal)

Overall, it did not make for a smooth nor satisfying experience, and part of me wondered if I would have been better to have stayed in economy with the adjacent seat empty (as shown on the app).

Didn't get the standby economy bit
Old May 30, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Didn't get the standby economy bit
I was originally on waitlist for Upgrade from LCA-ATH-LHR. The check-in agent at LCA was not able to cancel the waitlist without fearing they would cancel the entire booking. As it was taking a lot of time for them to figure it out, they provided standby tickets to get to the lounge. I thought this was just LCA-ATH but when handed a new, non-standby pass at LCA lounge, I saw that ATH-LHR was then standby too.

I did think the staff involved were proactive and demonstrated great customer service, but the upgrade process was not.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
I don't really experience any difference so far.
I called for an upgrade in July high season for BRU-ATH, ATH-BEY, BEY-ATH, ATH-BRU. Only BRU-ATH is waitlisted so far. The 3 others are cleared, even ATH-BRU stretch.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbfield
I was originally on waitlist for Upgrade from LCA-ATH-LHR. The check-in agent at LCA was not able to cancel the waitlist without fearing they would cancel the entire booking. As it was taking a lot of time for them to figure it out, they provided standby tickets to get to the lounge. I thought this was just LCA-ATH but when handed a new, non-standby pass at LCA lounge, I saw that ATH-LHR was then standby too.

I did think the staff involved were proactive and demonstrated great customer service, but the upgrade process was not.
I have one LHR ATH listed for months now. I think LHR ATH route in summer season must be one of the most difficult route to secure upgrade now.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
It's definitely more difficult. My last four requests have all been waitlisted - but they were all successful eventually. Up to then, I had NEVER been put on the list. My guess is that they areholding back some capacity for the new paid upgrades, which makes sense I guess.
I agree and think it is only natural that the introduction of paid 'bid' upgrades will make the use of upgrade certificates a bit more difficult. This is likely to depend on which sector you are flying and when, and how early you make the upgrade request, but it just adds another element to the yield management equation. I believe that the airline will hold some seats back for possible paid upgrades, probably releasing them for use with certificate upgrades closer to the flight date if they remain "unsold".

To illustrate, I have had an upgrade request in for two friends on an ATH-LIS sector for a few weeks now. They are currently on WL. Expert Flyer is showing no availability in I class, but C4 D7 Z3. This morning they, and I guess everyone else booked on that flight who is eligible to bid, received an "Upgrade Challenge" email, asking them to make a bid for upgrade for that sector. My guess is that if they still don't sell all the upgrades through this method, the WL may then clear. I think this is a clear indication that the bid upgrades are taking precedence over certificates, at least in some cases.

I will try to come back and advise on the outcome.

Happy flying.

TB
Arrivals likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
upgraded arn ath and ath lhr on one ticket in Feb 19. Checked I Class availability before. Upgrade was done in 2 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:02 am

We should definitely not draw "final" conclusions from what happened to us or a friend, etc. For example, about two months ago I asked to (coupon-) upgrade my and my wife's tickets (ATH-VIE-ATH). We were wailtlisted and the outgoing flight made it 10 days ago while the return one made it the next day. I'm not yet back home, but on the way out there were 4 passengers in C and there were 4 free seats. Cattle class looked full to me...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I assume that - similar to other airlines - they have algorithms predicting how many people will book business class, depending on date and route. Potentially also including algorithms for paid upgrade challenge. Based on those, they decide when to release the coupon upgrade.
Similar to KLouis, I had a flight GVA - ATH in April which only upgraded a couple of days before the flight, while another ATH - GVA end of July upgraded after a couple of days of WL only (which surprised me because it's high season, but maybe travellers during this season (tourists) demand business class much less often than travellers during other periods).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: M&M Frequent Flyer, A3 GOLD
I am trying to understand more the new upgrade process after introduction of “upgrade lottery” and here are the results of my experiment:
I asked for upgrade for my wife and myself VCE-ATH-VCE and all legs/persons were waitlisted. While in former times at least I2 was available on empty plane, now it’s only I1 so at the time of booking there was no I availability any more.
While I was upgraded more than a week before every flight, my wife was not. So I opted for paid upgrade in addition to coupon waitlist and my bid was 75 EUR for every leg. I expected they will accept the bid, but not, to my supprise both waitlisted upgrades with coupons were approved at D-3. While pax are allowed to make an upgrade bit until T-50hrs, the waiting list was cleared at approx. T-72hrs.
Very interesting, as it seems that we, valuable frequent flyers, are still important. :-)

One more observation, if you are monitoring booking status in CheckMyTrip app.
- while on waiting list, the flight is listed two times, first with original booking class and status “Confirmed” and second with I class and status “Waitlisted”
- when the upgrade is approved, the status of I class is changed to “Unknown” and the original booking class is still there
- when the new ticket is issued, the I class status is changed to “Confirmed” and the original booking class is deleted.

FlyerTalker688786 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.