Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I was denied credit. Anyway to get them to reconsider?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:24 pm

Call them, because some times the miles for upgraded are not properly credited (due to the upgrade in I class which is not crediting). They are aware of the issue and you will have it fixed in no time.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
A3 newbie here, when you upgrade with coupons, does the tix become non mileage earning? I just tried to credit a flight, and A3 automatically came back and said L class (original class) was ineligible for mileage earning?
An IT glitch! You'd have to call them.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
A3 newbie here, when you upgrade with coupons, does the tix become non mileage earning? I just tried to credit a flight, and A3 automatically came back and said L class (original class) was ineligible for mileage earning?
Did it actually say " L class is ineligible for mileage earning" or was it some more generic message? You have to be really careful retro-claiming these flights. You have to enter the original booking class into the claim form as it will reject it automatically if you enter I class. Also, you don't get a second chance to retro-claim - it just says "request already exist". Just call them. I'm sure it will be sorted within a couple of days, if not immediately.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:12 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Did it actually say " L class is ineligible for mileage earning" or was it some more generic message? You have to be really careful retro-claiming these flights. You have to enter the original booking class into the claim form as it will reject it automatically if you enter I class. Also, you don't get a second chance to retro-claim - it just says "request already exist". Just call them. I'm sure it will be sorted within a couple of days, if not immediately.
Yes those exact words, I made sure to put L. Will call them! Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Hey,

I just booked tickets waw-ath (30.05-03.06) in economy. Before booking I was checking via M&B account (Spend Miles search) that for both flights business class availability exists (it still exist when I search now).

However when I was calling A3 I was told there is no availability for any of the flight and I am waitlisted for both of them. How come? Does search engine in M&B account does not correspond to coupon upgrade availability now?

Additionally when I look now for my reservation via App or Web it does not look 'weird" as some people reported above, ie. it is not shown double

Last edited by mknalewo; Apr 15, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
Hi mknalewo

I re-checked everything for you on aegean.com and on expertflyer.com. 1 seat is available on your outward and 2 on your return in booking class "I". You should call them again and insist..

I hope that this is not a negative effect of the upgrades you can bid for.....

Hope your ticket is booked in the necessary booking classes...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:40 pm

Second agent told me the same...

Today I saw at least that for outward fly I have "two" itineraries in My Booking (one in original booking class, one in I) so apparently i am waitlisted, but for return it is not the case. Frankly speaking I dont get it. And my tickets were booked in L and S class so both should be eligible.

Hope this will clear out...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
I have a very weird situation which I can't understand why I can't upgrade the ticket which I purchased between DUS-ATH. It is booked in J class (economy) via an OTA. I called and I was told that this is a special fare ticket which cannot be upgraded, which is strange since this ticket earns 100% miles under the program. Also the agent further mentioned that there is no fare on this ticket and I only paid taxes (which is also not true since there is a value on the ticket).

Anyone can enlighten me on this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:51 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Try again with different agent
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by GBobon
Try again with different agent
Tried calling again and I was again told that this is a special OTA fare that cannot be upgradable. No idea why than it is place into the J-class - and on A3 tix stock. It seems that they cannot see the price paid for the ticket.
First time facing such a complicated situation in using my upgrade coupon. Am just going to give up and use my coupons for another time (maybe again another long weekend to ATH). Will just tough it out in Economy this round, at least I get (I hope) full 100% mileage for this trip based on the bk class and not whatever special fare.

Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mknalewo
Second agent told me the same...
Today I saw at least that for outward fly I have "two" itineraries in My Booking (one in original booking class, one in I) so apparently i am waitlisted, but for return it is not the case. Frankly speaking I dont get it. And my tickets were booked in L and S class so both should be eligible.
Hope this will clear out...
This is very weird. When there is I availability, usually they just proceed with the upgrade. Is there any chance that is part of a multi-booking, where you actually want to upgrade just one flight?​​​

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Tried calling again and I was again told that this is a special OTA fare that cannot be upgradable. No idea why than it is place into the J-class - and on A3 tix stock. It seems that they cannot see the price paid for the ticket.
First time facing such a complicated situation in using my upgrade coupon. Am just going to give up and use my coupons for another time (maybe again another long weekend to ATH). Will just tough it out in Economy this round, at least I get (I hope) full 100% mileage for this trip based on the bk class and not whatever special fare.
Cheers!
Indeed, it's the first time I hear someone booking something in J class. I say that you insist though, since the terms and conditions say that the only classes that are not upgrade-able are the U,P,T in golight.
GBobon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
It is booked in J class (economy) via an OTA.
Is the ticket definately booked on A3 or OA ticket stock, i.e. ticket number starting with 390 or 050? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28554658-post3.html

Regardless of ticket stock though, there is a risk that perhaps the OTA booked you into an unpublished fare, available only to Consolidators. These are usually exempt from mileage earning on many/most? airlines (I have not checked, but I suspect the Miles and Bonus T&Cs state this somewhere), and I presume they apply the same logic to the application of Upgrade Coupons, even if they have not explicitly stated so in the T&Cs.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Indeed, it's the first time I hear someone booking something in J class. I say that you insist though, since the terms and conditions say that the only classes that are not upgrade-able are the U,P,T in golight.
I did insist, but it was just going in circles, they kept mentioning that it was a special OTA fare that they cannot touch and not able to upgrade. So I don't know how to further argue as I did also state the rules clearly on the GoLight fare rules, but both agents just insisted that it is not possible - and you know how difficult it is to argue logic and rules with A3 agents, they are quite strict and will never budge from their standpoint/position no matter what rules you throw at them.
Anyway I am satisfy since about 2 weeks out I still managed to get a reasonable fare to ATH. (My mistake that I did not plan earlier to get better fares)

I now feel that it is quite dangerous to buy tickets from OTA if you plan to upgrade since you never know what is special and what is not even the booking class does not fall into their "forbidden" category.

Cheers!
Old May 4, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I requested an upgrade yesterday for another friend and it was wait-listed. This is how it now shows up in her booking:

So really, if you are on the wait-list, you should be able to see this. I'd call to check.
So I have 2 bookings. Both have waitlisted segments. One looks like this and the other does not.

Called Aegean and they told me that the one that does not look like the above pic is waitlisted. So not sure what to make of the above pic and statement in terms of accuracy...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.