Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as Waitlisted.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
The last time I (well, a friend) was waitlisted with one of my vouchers, the booking, when checked online, showed up in a weird way. It showed two reservations on the same flight, in the same PNR, one in the original booking class and one in I class.When the upgrade went through, the old reservation disappeared and just the I class one remained. Maybe that's something you could check.
Mine show up just like regular coach reservations and that's concerning. Is there an email for Aegean Gold desk?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by asnovici

Mine show up just like regular coach reservations and that's concerning. Is there an email for Aegean Gold desk?
[email protected]
asnovici likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:06 am

I just waitlisted a flight for July (no I availability). Process was faster than ever (seems that all agents are up to speed and the process is standardized). Let's see how fast (and if), it will be cleared.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by asnovici

I requested an upgrade yesterday for another friend and it was wait-listed. This is how it now shows up in her booking:

So really, if you are on the wait-list, you should be able to see this. I'd call to check.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

@Knobbgb
I can confirm that is what I see in my app and computer as well

@jerry_greece
Yes I think waitlist in July for me too except the ATH-FRA sector. Finger crossed that it will get cleared.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thank you very much!!!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Just a little info:

On my outbound flight, 3 days prior departure "I" became available (thx expertflyer). Although I was waitlisted, I had to call aegean for the upgrade process (didn't happen automatically for me).

On my inbound flight, business class was fully booked (12 pax) already 4 days before departure and only 8 seats remained buyable in economy. Was silently hoping they'll open up a business class row to get the upgrade! But no business class seat has been made available for selling (and no "I" opened up in parallel) until checkin closed. There were 7 empty seats in economy during the flight.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:55 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
i tried to find info but without success, so im asking you guys.
1. if I have a 4 leg flight but only 2 vouchers, is it possible to choose which leg I want upgrade?
2. if I have a 4 leg flight and 4 vouchers, is it possible to upgrade only 2 (selected) legs out of 4 and to keep another 2 vouchers for another flights?

thank you
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
1. Yes
2. Yes

I have done both cases in the past.
GBobon likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GBobon
i tried to find info but without success, so im asking you guys.
1. if I have a 4 leg flight but only 2 vouchers, is it possible to choose which leg I want upgrade?
2. if I have a 4 leg flight and 4 vouchers, is it possible to upgrade only 2 (selected) legs out of 4 and to keep another 2 vouchers for another flights?

thank you
1,2: Yes, as long as:
  • All segments on each flight are operated by A3 or OA (metal; no codeshare flights operated by other carriers, even if ticket was issued through A3/OA's website, and flights bear A3/OA codes).
  • There is availability for Z upgrades (different from generic availability on Z)
GBobon likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:41 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@East_and_West, thank you. IMO they must be more clear on their T&Cs with this information
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by GBobon
@East_and_West, thank you. IMO they must be more clear on their T&Cs with this information
Usually, when I book Aegean with transit in Athens, I book my inbound or outbound Flex and the other in GoLight and use 2 vouchers on the Flex stretches. This saves you some money, but guess thats personal
GBobon likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Usually, when I book Aegean with transit in Athens, I book my inbound or outbound Flex and the other in GoLight and use 2 vouchers on the Flex stretches. This saves you some money, but guess thats personal
Sorry to say, but you may be paying more instead of less! As long as your flight (segment) is not in either of T, U or P fare class, you're fine in terms of upgrading with a coupon even in GoLight. GoLight and Flex are completely irrelevant other than this one condition.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry to say, but you may be paying more instead of less! As long as your flight (segment) is not in either of T, U or P fare class, you're fine in terms of upgrading with a coupon even in GoLight. GoLight and Flex are completely irrelevant other than this one condition.
Really?! I thought GoLight always books in T, U, P, ... now thanks for this clarification!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:30 am

Actually, I think that only P flex (the cheapest out of the U, T) is cheaper than S golight (S being the first class that allows upgrades in golight)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.