Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold
Let's see what happens on Friday. I've been on waiting list for upgrade LGW-ATH for 2 weeks. They still won't confirm but I've checked in for Economy and managed to find out there are "about 5 seats" still available in Business.
Will they release more I tickets based on availability on the day? They're currently selling D Business so will update. In due course.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by hermes1
Let's see what happens on Friday. I've been on waiting list for upgrade LGW-ATH for 2 weeks. They still won't confirm but I've checked in for Economy and managed to find out there are "about 5 seats" still available in Business.
Will they release more I tickets based on availability on the day? They're currently selling D Business so will update. In due course.
According to A3 customer service, you don't need I class to upgrade on the day at check-in at the airport as long as you're already on the waitlist. If there are still business class seats available, you should get one. I think I would probably ask at the ticket desk in LGW first before heading to check-in, as they may have more of an idea of what you're talking about (YMMV).

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Last edited by gpb_croppers63; Dec 6, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Finally also my return flight upgraded, got email with new ticket (both ways I class). Spent all 4 coupons, will get new at the end of March 2018
gpb_croppers63 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Mbcan
Finally also my return flight upgraded, got email with new ticket (both ways I class). Spent all 4 coupons, will get new at the end of March 2018
Excellent! That's great to hear that it is possible on the VIE route despite there being no availability! I shall update with my experiences next week.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Just to update with my waitlist experience as promised: my upgrade for Thursday was confirmed today so 3-4 days prior to the flight in this case. Excellent service from A3 as usual.
hermes1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold
Just quick update about my waiting list upgrade LGW-ATH on Friday. 2 days before they asked me to check-in as there was still no availability. I got upgraded at the airport to the dismay of the check-in agent who told me I had been assigned a seat in Business. Same thing had happened to the passenger in front of me. 6 business class rows and all full. What's interesting is that I asked the attendant how they work it out. She said there were only 2 business class rows on the outbound but they expanded it at Gatwick. to accommodate. She also said that she had known business class to go even further back. So it all depends on what availability there is in economy? All's well that ends well.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:55 am

Wait to see 7 rows in the BRU route (popular for MEPs): 3 crew members serving C and only 2 in Y.

Apparently, the guidelines are that if there is a seat in C, then it should clear to the waitlisted passenger but it's not clear the timing that this happens. It's happening at gate, check-in or sometimes even some hours before the flight (if there is C availability).

I waitlisted an ATH-HAM for 2018 as well.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Wait to see 7 rows in the BRU route (popular for MEPs): 3 crew members serving C and only 2 in Y.

Apparently, the guidelines are that if there is a seat in C, then it should clear to the waitlisted passenger but it's not clear the timing that this happens. It's happening at gate, check-in or sometimes even some hours before the flight (if there is C availability).

I waitlisted an ATH-HAM for 2018 as well.
My waitlisted flight tomorrow cleared on Monday afternoon, so the day before OLCI opened but I'm not sure how useful a data point that is, as it does seem very random when they decide to open up the availability.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: A3 *G
For what it's worth, this is what your booking looks like while on the waiting list:

You can see that both the old reservation (K class) and the new one (I class) exist at the same time with no online changes allowed. The ticket number, at this point, has
not changed from the original. I'm hoping this will also clear before online check-in starts. At the moment, three days before the flight, there are two seats available for open sale in D class (there was only one yesterday so somebody changed) and then after that there is the 'C' bucket (business class goes Z,D,C), so I'm quietly confident.
1nsane likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G
As an update to my post above, the upgrade cleared exactly 24hrs before flight departure, so my friend is VERY happy to be getting her first C class experience today. Online check-in showed four rows of business class which is a little low, although not unusual, for LHR. Nine of the 16 seats were already taken which may give some idea of the C class load.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
As an update to my post above, the upgrade cleared exactly 24hrs before flight departure, so my friend is VERY happy to be getting her first C class experience today. Online check-in showed four rows of business class which is a little low, although not unusual, for LHR. Nine of the 16 seats were already taken which may give some idea of the C class load.
Excellent news. Enjoy the flight! A3 seem to be really good at clearing waitlisted upgrades these days. That’s refreshing, as many other airlines just let the seats go out empty.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:20 am

I will soon use an upgrade voucher for a friend.
I will not be travelling with him and he has no status.

Lounge access will be granted to him only, and not to his potential guest, right?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
From *A website:
"Business Class Customers are entitled to access member airline Business Class Lounges. You will need to show your boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight departing from the local airport. You are not entitled to bring any guests. "

So unfortunately no, but the friend can get paid access possibly if interested.
LacMajeur likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:27 pm
AOH

So based on what I read, my understanding is that I have to use one coupon per segment-- for example, on my LHR to CAI trip, I will have to use two coupons (1 for LHR to ATH, and 1 for ATH to CAI)-- is this correct? Can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance.

Secondly, assuming what I wrote above is true, what happens if I only use one upgrade coupon? For example, if I only upgrade the LHR to ATH leg, do I still get all the perks (lounge access, baggage, etc.) for my second flight?

And last question, if/when I'm upgraded to Gold from Silver tiers, do my coupons expire?

I've been searching for this info for the past couple of days but may have missed it. Any help is appreciate

Last edited by AOH; Dec 29, 2017 at 12:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:46 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I confirm your first point: one coupon per segment. For the second point, then in theory no lounge in ATH if you are upgraded only for the first leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.