Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I think your retro claim triggered it. Similarly I did a retro claim for such flight a while ago, it didn't work (forgot what the message was) but an hour later the miles posted 'automatically'.
Same here recently:

Of a 2-leg itinerary (of which one was e dupgraded) none credited automatically. Retroclaiming instantly credited the non-upgraded flight, but the upgraded one gave an error while doing so. But about a month later (I was lazy to call) and I just see the upgraded flight was credited too!

So probably even an error at retroclaim triggers the miles to credit eventually (as I never put my FF number in the original booking).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What refund are you expecting?

The upgrade coupon cannot be refunded. And as you had a "cheap ticket", it is also unlikely that you can cancel that (the terms of the original ticket still stand, even if the original ticket itself no longer exists).

Originally Posted by Aegean
Even if your original ticket was cancellable, I doubt you can do so now. By having had A3 re-issue the ticket (this is what happens; a brand new e-ticket number is generated after you apply your upgrade certs), the original agent cannot now touch your reservation, as that ticket no longer exists. And A3 cannot cancel the original ticket because they were not the agent that issued it and received the payment thererfor.

The original ticket is now gone; you should not upgrade a ticket until you know you can take the flight, or ensure that you buy the original ticket from Aegean themselves.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Even if your original ticket was cancellable, I doubt you can do so now. By having had A3 re-issue the ticket (this is what happens; a brand new e-ticket number is generated after you apply your upgrade certs), the original agent cannot now touch your reservation, as that ticket no longer exists. And A3 cannot cancel the original ticket because they were not the agent that issued it and received the payment thererfor.

The original ticket is now gone; you should not upgrade a ticket until you know you can take the flight, or ensure that you buy the original ticket from Aegean themselves.
I'd agree with this. There is a new ticket issued, and I would think that means A3 themselves take over the booking. Who does CheckMyTrip say issued the ticket?

This means you have effectively fallen into a black hole - your original ticket doesn't exist because it's been superseded, but only by one that effectively has zero value because it's a free upgrade (and hence there's no refund value attached).

For the amount of money you're likely to get back in taxes, minus any admin fee, I suspect this is going to be one that's not worth the aggravation of fighting.

Nonetheless, it would be extremely interesting and useful information to get into the wiki as a warning, so if you can glean more info from sticking your various booking and ticket numbers into to CMT then the rest of the FT community may at least benefit from your apparently misfortune.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'd agree with this. There is a new ticket issued, and I would think that means A3 themselves take over the booking. Who does CheckMyTrip say issued the ticket?

This means you have effectively fallen into a black hole - your original ticket doesn't exist because it's been superseded, but only by one that effectively has zero value because it's a free upgrade (and hence there's no refund value attached).

For the amount of money you're likely to get back in taxes, minus any admin fee, I suspect this is going to be one that's not worth the aggravation of fighting.

Nonetheless, it would be extremely interesting and useful information to get into the wiki as a warning, so if you can glean more info from sticking your various booking and ticket numbers into to CMT then the rest of the FT community may at least benefit from your apparently misfortune.
This has happened with 2 reservations of mine.

The first was TLV-LCA-LHR. Ticket originally issued by OTA - Budgetair, then called aegean to upgrade with coupons. New ticket issued by Aegean. OTA sending me to A3, A3 sending me to OTA.

Second was my recently cancelled trip because of the Strikes 7th APR.
TLV-ATH-ZRH, bought through OTA (bravofly), upgraded with coupons, new ticket issued by A3. Now A3 cancelled it yesterday, so I guess i will have problems refunding this, becaiuse of the upgrade and new ticket issued.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In the case of the strike-affected travel, you probably have a greater case of getting the upgrade cert back. However, they may prefer you to just rebook for another day (it is possible to rebook upgraded flights; technically, it's not allowed to cancel them, meaning that you can "move" the upgraded flight to another day, but you can't cancel it).

Given that they were the ones that "cancelled", though, I would ring and ask to have the upgrade cert returned.

However, as there is probably no mechanism for doing this, you would probably require to have another booking made on which they could instead apply the upgrade for you, against the normal rules. However, and again given that this is not standard practice, the danger exists that, in doing so, they simply use any remaining upgrade certs that you may still have in your account - so the only way to verify that the cert was truly re-issued would be if you could ring up asking to have a new upgrade given to you, with no remaining upgrade certs left in your account.

(Given your woes, I would recommend that you:
a) only upgrade once you know that you will travel - it seems relatively straightforward to get upgrades on A3 so it is probably not *that* pressing to upgrade immediately - bide your time and wait; and
b) buy your ticket from the A3 website (I rarely see much of a price advantage buying it elsewhere); at least then you have no third party agent getting in the way)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
It still seems to be somewhat unpredictable - for MrsNWI and my recent flights, three out of the four upgraded segments posted automatically after 2-3 days, but the last one failed to - in spite of being on the same PNR and flight as one that did. Go figure ... .

Retroclaim was similarly swift though - a matter of a few working hours to show up in my account.
I flew back from ATH to LON on Saturday in I class and miles posted on Monday morning, same for outbound the previous week. I did get a call in Athens from A3 to say my waitlist (ATH-LON) had cleared and I would need to call for retro claim but it went though anyway.

Last edited by FlyingDobber; Apr 6, 2016 at 12:43 pm Reason: Spellung!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by irishguy28
In the case of the strike-affected travel, you probably have a greater case of getting the upgrade cert back. However, they may prefer you to just rebook for another day (it is possible to rebook upgraded flights; technically, it's not allowed to cancel them, meaning that you can "move" the upgraded flight to another day, but you can't cancel it).

Given that they were the ones that "cancelled", though, I would ring and ask to have the upgrade cert returned.

However, as there is probably no mechanism for doing this, you would probably require to have another booking made on which they could instead apply the upgrade for you, against the normal rules. However, and again given that this is not standard practice, the danger exists that, in doing so, they simply use any remaining upgrade certs that you may still have in your account - so the only way to verify that the cert was truly re-issued would be if you could ring up asking to have a new upgrade given to you, with no remaining upgrade certs left in your account.

(Given your woes, I would recommend that you:
a) only upgrade once you know that you will travel - it seems relatively straightforward to get upgrades on A3 so it is probably not *that* pressing to upgrade immediately - bide your time and wait; and
b) buy your ticket from the A3 website (I rarely see much of a price advantage buying it elsewhere); at least then you have no third party agent getting in the way)
Thanks irishguy for the analysation of the situation, and the advice.

However, let me fill you in on some more details which may shed light to sime of your points.

First of all, I purchased this ticket, TLV-ATH-ZRH via an OTA, the A3 online price was around 100 GBP and so were all OTAs around that price, however this one was 63 GBP,seemingly a mistake that they had not yet updated the prices to reflect the new booking class availability. This is why i booked it via an OTA, when normally i agree, its always better through A3 website itself.

Secondly, with my case , TLV-ATH-ZRH, I told them to cancel my ticket, but i said i do not want to lose the 2 upgrade coupons i used, so they said," OK, no prob we will refund the coupons back into the account the were taken from, (which incidentally was not mine). This is because you did not cancel the ticket, rather A3 cancelled the flight, albeit due to the strike,". After the call, I login to the account, I could see the coupon returned there.

And thirdly, I have a friend, he had a flight TLV-ATH-LHR on the same first flight as me. I upgraded his second leg for him, but then it was cancelled due to strike. So i called A3 , and the agent said they could re-book the flight for him to TLV - LCA-LHR. However, since there is no I class availability, the upgrade could not be used for that flight, so he would have to be in economy, with the original fare rules, which was the go-light fare with 0 luggage. I said, the only reason we wanted the upgrade is for the luggage, so could they give him 2 luggages, but no business class? She said she would speak to the manager, and call me back. 10 minutes later, she calls and says, yes the manager has said we could give you the 2 baggages. So i expected to receive a new confirmation saying both flights in economy, but 2PC, however, the e-ticket comes, and it shows that the second leg is in business class, and in booking class D which is a revenue ticket class (and earning 150% miles!). That was a nice surprise.

So,

A) they have told me I should speak to my OTA for a refund, which I prob wont get
B) They can refund coupons to the account,
C) they can re-book into revenue Business class, however, YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
There is a new ticket issued, and I would think that means A3 themselves take over the booking.
The operating carrier can rewrite tickets without 'taking over' the booking.

An upgraded ticket keeps it's value as it was originally issued. With the upgrade the ticket, will be rewritten and the old ticket coupons will get the status exchanged. Old and new tickets were linked. The responsability and control of the booking will still be at the original issuance office (TA).

Originally Posted by benberg2013
A) they have told me I should speak to my OTA for a refund, which I prob wont get
B) They can refund coupons to the account,
C) they can re-book into revenue Business class, however, YMMV.
A) Correct way. If any refund (depending on fare rules or A3 strike policy), you've to claim it via your TA.
B) To be able to refund coupons or following rules are two different things.
C) Sure they can. But it's demanded to much to rebook a cheapo TA ticket upgraded with coupons to rebook it on a different carrier into business class (rules).
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Do I still have to use four UG vouchers for OSL-SKG-OSL, via ATH? There is not much C class service between ATH and SKG.....
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:06 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by skrosvik
Do I still have to use four UG vouchers for OSL-SKG-OSL, via ATH? There is not much C class service between ATH and SKG.....
No, you can just upgrade the sectors you want.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The operating carrier can rewrite tickets without 'taking over' the booking.

Although depending on airlines/GDS the original agent can loose control and visibility over the booking. Also things like sched changes might not show up with the original agent.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Sorry if this was asked before...

I have a TBS-ATH-HEL flight booked on A3.com, golight fare coupon upgraded to 'I'. The flight has a 2 hr cnx in ATH and lands 4 hr before my St peters line ferry to St petersburg.

I understand I cannot change the ticket myself. What if it is an IRROPS?
Will I be rerouted by A3? especially accommodated on another airline if there is no other A3 flight for the rest of the day?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:48 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by ericw
Sorry if this was asked before...

I have a TBS-ATH-HEL flight booked on A3.com, golight fare coupon upgraded to 'I'. The flight has a 2 hr cnx in ATH and lands 4 hr before my St peters line ferry to St petersburg.

I understand I cannot change the ticket myself. What if it is an IRROPS?
Will I be rerouted by A3? especially accommodated on another airline if there is no other A3 flight for the rest of the day?

Thanks!
This is no different than if you were in Y - in the event of Irrops, A3 is legally bound to look after you under EC261.

This does not necessarily entitle you to re-routing on another carrier - just at "the earliest convenience". Most airlines will choose to route on their own metal first, even if they have to pay for an overnight hotel, then within their Alliance, and only at a last resort outside Alliance. This is even more likely to apply if you're seated in Business, certainly on a free upgrade, because A3 is even more unlikely to want to pay out for "comparable conditions" on another airline. This interpretation has never been knowingly legally tested, but the general consensus seems to be that the airline would win if it ever came to court - although in a single flight a day scenario it's muddier.

In the end, this comes down to your attitude to risk - A3 will certainly not be liable for your consequential loss. You should consider adequate travel insurance to cover you.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
This is no different than if you were in Y - in the event of Irrops, A3 is legally bound to look after you under EC261.

This does not necessarily entitle you to re-routing on another carrier - just at "the earliest convenience". Most airlines will choose to route on their own metal first, even if they have to pay for an overnight hotel, then within their Alliance, and only at a last resort outside Alliance. This is even more likely to apply if you're seated in Business, certainly on a free upgrade, because A3 is even more unlikely to want to pay out for "comparable conditions" on another airline. This interpretation has never been knowingly legally tested, but the general consensus seems to be that the airline would win if it ever came to court - although in a single flight a day scenario it's muddier.

In the end, this comes down to your attitude to risk - A3 will certainly not be liable for your consequential loss. You should consider adequate travel insurance to cover you.
Thank you very much for the information. Darn! I just realized on my flight and my cruise are charged to 2 separate credit cards (amex plat and a visa infinite that both offer trip interruption insurance, but wont work unless i charge the full cost on 1 card). I might just purchase another insurance just in case.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ericw
I might just purchase another insurance just in case.
Well, probably a good idea but (and I don't know how familiar you are) Aegean are pretty much VERY good at being on-time in regular ops. If it were me I would have no worry at all about the 2hr connection at ATH and then 4hrs in HEL.

BUT... what they ARE very susceptible to are strikes! Usually by the Greek ATC. That's about the most likely thing to mess up your plans. In that case they are very good at contacting people in advance and re-booking or refunding. If there is a strike you will probably have the option of travelling a day early, although your accommodation in HEL would then be at your own expense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.