Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Artemio

Btw: she told me all the members recieved a mail on oct 2nd. I haven't... Anyone of you guys have recieved a mail about the oct 1st change ?

None of the 2 Gold Family Members received an email. However, maybe they sent it only to the ones who still had open vouchers ? Those would be the only ones concerned immediately.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by KLouis
It's a bad "habit", I agree. So, once you find another program that satisfies you fully in terms of treating its loyal customers well (in the case of A3, most "loyal" customers fly four flights with them), please let us know: we'll all run to that program, not only from *A but also from ST and OW.
I have been treated fairly well with OZ. And that is with relatively less metal flying than with A3. At least with A3, I have always managed to get 12.000 miles per year on A3 metal. Quite easy to do when using OTAs and booking flights like LHR-CPH via ATH. I mean, sure, grass is always greener and all that, but as someone who has made the effort to retain my A3 status as an additional *G status because I like the airline, I like the way I was treated and I like the benefits they offered gold members. And many of those reasons are gone now. Not saying I wouldn't fly A3 anymore, just that there isn't any reason not to put those miles in other *A accounts.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
None of the 2 Gold Family Members received an email. However, maybe they sent it only to the ones who still had open vouchers ? Those would be the only ones concerned immediately.
MrsNWI has four remaining vouchers (as we used mine to upgrade a LON-ATH return earlier in the year) and definitely no e-mail.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:33 am

Felix P class can use the coupon as well, I could book on line and save €20.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:46 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Roy853
Felix P class can use the coupon as well, I could book on line and save €20.
Could you clarify this? Thus far, we believe that all bookings in P bucket are no longer eligible for upgrade. What is "Felix P", and what's different about it compared to "normal" P?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Could you clarify this? Thus far, we believe that all bookings in P bucket are no longer eligible for upgrade. What is "Felix P", and what's different about it compared to "normal" P?
Yes, I call the call centre to book the flight allow to upgrade, then I received the first email of the original ticket I saw the booking class P so I ring the call centre ask them why, they explain me because is felix P class, if u know that before I would save €20 to book on line, and if you find the cheapest flight like P class, then u choose Felix instead of Go Light next time.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Roy853
Yes, I call the call centre to book the flight allow to upgrade, then I received the first email of the original ticket I saw the booking class P so I ring the call centre ask them why, they explain me because is felix P class, if u know that before I would save €20 to book on line, and if you find the cheapest flight like P class, then u choose Felix instead of Go Light next time.
You mean 'Flex', right!?!

EDIT: Oh, I see it's changed on the website.....

''seat upgrade award is not eligible for the following booking classes: U, P, T, in GoLight ticket (Effective as of 20.10.2016).''

Hooray!!

Last edited by headingwest; Oct 21, 2016 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
seems we are saved, at least partially.. wonder why they changed their mind
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:06 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by headingwest

''seat upgrade award is not eligible for the following booking classes: U, P, T, in GoLight ticket (Effective as of 20.10.2016).''

Hooray!!
Simply marvellous . Well, certainly manageable and more equitable now, anyway.

Wiki updated ...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matio_svk
seems we are saved, at least partially.. wonder why they changed their mind
They're being quite clever if you ask me, they know that people will book on the A3 website to ensure they get the Flex fare.

It's definitely good news though, I'm already looking at new flights!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:28 pm

For Dublin to Ath, go light P for €119, and I booked over the phone €229 internet €209 so about €90 more. Yes is Flex fare.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by headingwest

Hooray!!
So how would this work if you get a multi-carrier A3-plated ticket? e.g. ATH-LHR-US/CA/Asia? Assuming you could get that plated on A3 stock, anyways
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:03 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by pewpew
So how would this work if you get a multi-carrier A3-plated ticket? e.g. ATH-LHR-US/CA/Asia? Assuming you could get that plated on A3 stock, anyways
My inclination is to say that any single ticket with additional carriers to A3 wouldn't book into GoLight anyway - working out the various baggage allowances would be a nightmare! - so upgrades would be possible.

As an example, if you look for LON-ATH flights, those direct with A3 on A3 metal have all options available. Those with a leg on LH metal, even with an A3 codeshare number, only offer Flex and Business.

Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by pewpew
The same if you add an OA domestic connection on one of the PSI routes (where only flex is available). I was looking at flights to LHR in December or January and had decided to wait until S class became available so I could use my vouchers. I never usually book PAS-ATH-LHR because it foces me into flex which is much more expensive and I don't need anyway. BUT now I noted that the through flight in flex is CHEAPER from PAS than from ATH (121 PAS-ATH-LHR flex vs. 126 ATH-LHR flex on the same flight/date) and only slightly more than the ATH-LHR GoLight fare. So now I get my connecting flight for "free" and still get my upgrade! I will book right away before they change it again!

EDIT: Also, I just received the official reply to my complaint about this, which I assume is a standared reply that is sent to everyone who complained. It's interesting to note that this also confirms that upgrades are available in ALL flex fares (my bold). It also suggests booking S class and above fares through the website so that the upgrade availability can be checked and confirmed at the same time as the booking although it does NOT address my comment/request that the 20 Euro booking fee should NOT bve changed when a customer is calling to book a more expensive fare that is not available online.

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you very much for taking the time to address our department with your recommendations and notices, in relation to the use of your complimentary upgrade coupons’ privilege, as our Gold Miles+Bonus member, following the recent modification on respective policy and your communication with our Reservation Department.

Initially, we confirm from our end that the policy on the eligible booking classes for the Complementary upgrades has been modified, while the rules and conditions for the coupons’ use have been accordingly updated and relevant email communication forwarded to all eligible Miles+Bonus members.

Kindly note that although we fully understand your arguments, we would like to bring under your attention that each Loyalty program reserves the right to unilaterally alter at any time and with immediate effect, the flights and fares which are eligible for mileage accrual, as well as the booking classes that allow seat upgrade with vouchers or miles redemption. By all means, in the event that such a decision takes place, the relevant changes are immediately notified to our customers via our official web site (www.aegeanair.com) and any relevant printed material.

On these grounds, as soon as the commercial decision was announced, both the coupon and the web site have been updated accordingly. The service is used following the instructions and rules displayed on the coupon and therefore, our members are advised on the necessary prerequisites to be met for its application.

Please also note that, booking class “S” is the lowest Go-light fare, which is eligible for upgrade with seat upgrade vouchers. It should be though noted that the upgrade award is feasible in all fare categories (U,P,T included) in cases that the Economy class ticket has been booked under Flex fare category.

It is true that each time you book your tickets through our website: https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/book-a-flight/ or https://www.olympicair.com/en/Travel...ations/Tickets, you may issue your tickets only to the lowest available fares. Nevertheless, in case you wish to choose a specific booking class, please contact our Reservation Department at +30 210 62000 (24 hours service) and one of our colleagues will guide you on choosing the appropriate fare. In this case you may be informed, in advance, for the seat upgrade award availability, so as to be sure that your upgrade request shall be accomplished.

Mr. xxx, appreciating the initiative taken to bring your notifications to our attention, please do not hesitate to revert under our correspondence at any time, as it will be our pleasure to answer your questions and receive your valuable feedback on our provided services, while we look forward to welcoming you on board our flights in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx
All in all a quite fair and satisfactory communication and outcome. Who knows if all our complaints had anything to do with A3 changin their policy so quickly...

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 22, 2016 at 4:28 am Reason: Remove staff member name per FT privacy rules
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:41 am

You might want to remove the name of the employee in that e-mail.

You're not suggesting that an airline actually listens to customers' complaints and acts on them, are you? That would be most refreshing indeed!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.