Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as Waitlisted.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
I am in the same situation with a waitlisted flight for upgrades : CDG-ATH-Rhodos.
Where can I see if some I class seats are available ?
Thanks !
If you provide date and flight number I can have a look on EF.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
This is a stupid question, but I've read gpb_croppers63 's posts and the Wiki and still can't figure it out. For married segment upgrades, do you need to specifically say something when requesting the upgrade (I didn't) or is it automatic? I'm guessing that since nothing's changed on my reservation, I should just wait and see until the waitlisted segment appears? Or if I'm lucky, they'll just clear both together before the coupons expire... Yeah, wishful thinking.

This part may be for a different thread, but my ticket's charge was pending but then disappeared completely from my CC. It's been over a week. Should I be worried that something's amiss? IIRC, most of my previous A3 bookings were via OTAs, so the charges posted quickly.

Thanks!
Check your booking on your account to see if it has been 'unmarried'. It will look like duplicated flights.
Tennen and gpb_croppers63 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
I hope this question hasn't already been answered, but:
  • I just met the renewal requirements for A3 Gold status, extending my status through the end of May 2023
  • I have an existing booking on Aegean for June 2nd and June 7th 2022
Question:
  • Am I able to call to apply the four upgrade coupons I have just earned again -- available to use on bookings between May 2022-May 2023 -- now, or must I wait to do so until the new status year has begun, i.e. just a few days before my booked flights?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
This is a stupid question, but I've read gpb_croppers63 's posts and the Wiki and still can't figure it out. For married segment upgrades, do you need to specifically say something when requesting the upgrade (I didn't) or is it automatic? I'm guessing that since nothing's changed on my reservation, I should just wait and see until the waitlisted segment appears? Or if I'm lucky, they'll just clear both together before the coupons expire... Yeah, wishful thinking.
Are you trying to upgrade all sectors or just one? If you're trying to upgrade all sectors and were told you have to be waitlisted, I class is not available on at least one sector (see my answer below for how to check this). If you're only trying to upgrade 1 sector and you're certain that there's I class availability on that sector, you've run into the "married segments issue". You don't have to say anything specific, the agent will simply tell you that they have to waitlist your segments. If I is available, the seats will be cleared very quickly and you'll then see the waitlisted sector added to your reservation. That's when you can ring up again and have the ticket re-issued. I hope that's clearer now and that it helped.

This part may be for a different thread, but my ticket's charge was pending but then disappeared completely from my CC. It's been over a week. Should I be worried that something's amiss? IIRC, most of my previous A3 bookings were via OTAs, so the charges posted quickly.

Thanks!
That's an odd situation but nothing to do with the upgrades as far as I'm aware. Do you have a ticket number (starting with 390) for your booking? If so, I would imagine that the charge will re-post soon. If you don't have a ticket number, you need to ring them and find out what's going on.

I am in the same situation with a waitlisted flight for upgrades : CDG-ATH-Rhodos.
Where can I see if some I class seats are available ?
Thanks !
Go into your online account and try to make a one-way dummy award booking for each sector individually specifying the correct date and number of passengers. If I class is available, you'll see the flights available to book as an award. If there is availability but the upgrade request is not confirmed immediately and you only wish to upgrade 1 sector, you've probably also run into "married segments". Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by W126Pilot
  • I just met the renewal requirements for A3 Gold status, extending my status through the end of May 2023
Question:
  • Am I able to call to apply the four upgrade coupons I have just earned again -- available to use on bookings between May 2022-May 2023 -- now, or must I wait to do so until the new status year has begun, i.e. just a few days before my booked flights?
Thanks!
Unfortunately, you have to wait until your year resets and the new coupons are deposited in your account before you can use them, i.e. just a few days before your booked flights.
Tennen, KATERGOO and W126Pilot like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by W126Pilot
Question:
Thanks!
If the coupons show up as Available in the My Coupons section of your account then you can use them.
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The new coupons would/should only show up when your new year starts (24 May 2022?). So most likely you cannot apply them before that date.
gpb_croppers63 and W126Pilot like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Thank you ! @gpb_croppers63
gpb_croppers63 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
If you provide date and flight number I can have a look on EF.
Thanks ! Flights are A3 611 CDG-ATH on 24/06 and A3 214 ATH-RHO on 24/06
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:34 am

A3 611 and A3 214 do not have I class availability on 24/06 based on my search on the app just now. Only the late night departure from CDG has I class on that date. Youre therefore not encountering married segments but rather a general lack of availability unfortunately. Whether your waitlist will clear is anyones guess but keep an eye on whether there are any Business class seats available for sale right up to departure. Theoretically, you should have last-seat availability at the gate but there have been reports of this not working. Good luck! 👍
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:46 pm

​​​​​​​
0I and 0I availability respectively, unfortunately. I can also see that the CDG-ATH flight has most seats in business occupied at the moment. Currently shows as C4 available. I availability might open 48 hours before.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
Check your booking on your account to see if it has been 'unmarried'. It will look like duplicated flights.
Thanks! The booking hasn't changed online - just looks like nothing's been done to it at all (which, I guess, is to be expected).

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Are you trying to upgrade all sectors or just one? If you're trying to upgrade all sectors and were told you have to be waitlisted, I class is not available on at least one sector (see my answer below for how to check this). If you're only trying to upgrade 1 sector and you're certain that there's I class availability on that sector, you've run into the "married segments issue". You don't have to say anything specific, the agent will simply tell you that they have to waitlist your segments. If I is available, the seats will be cleared very quickly and you'll then see the waitlisted sector added to your reservation. That's when you can ring up again and have the ticket re-issued. I hope that's clearer now and that it helped.
Thank you!! Yes, this is very helpful; it's exactly what I wanted to know. I knew before purchasing that it would be a married segments issue, thanks to you. Ideally, I'd like to upgrade both segments, but I saw that space was available only on one (for now). So, I'm hoping that everything will sort out - the one with availability clears soon, the other gets waitlisted, and I can call in to have the ticket reissued. Or, even better, if they open up space for the other segment and clear both together.

That's an odd situation but nothing to do with the upgrades as far as I'm aware. Do you have a ticket number (starting with 390) for your booking? If so, I would imagine that the charge will re-post soon. If you don't have a ticket number, you need to ring them and find out what's going on.
Yes, I should've just posted this question elsewhere, as it's unrelated to upgrades. (I may still do that. ) It is indeed an A3-issued ticket (with a ticket number), so I'd imagine that the charge will post soon.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:46 pm

Thanks! The booking hasn't changed online - just looks like nothing's been done to it at all (which, I guess, is to be expected).

Thank you!! Yes, this is very helpful; it's exactly what I wanted to know. I knew before purchasing that it would be a married segments issue, thanks to you. Ideally, I'd like to upgrade both segments, but I saw that space was available only on one (for now). So, I'm hoping that everything will sort out - the one with availability clears soon, the other gets waitlisted, and I can call in to have the ticket reissued. Or, even better, if they open up space for the other segment and clear both together.

Yes, I should've just posted this question elsewhere, as it's unrelated to upgrades. (I may still do that. ) It is indeed an A3-issued ticket (with a ticket number), so I'd imagine that the charge will post soon.
I'm not sure how the lack of availability one one sector will affect this so if it were me, I would get the one with availability locked in now (i.e. cancel the request for the segment that's not available), as I have a sneaky suspicion that you will end up with neither clearing due to the lack of availability on one leg. This is only a hunch based on my experience of the system but I would always try to get segments with availability confirmed before waitlisting unavailable ones. Good luck!

P.S. I'm glad my information was helpful. Always happy to give advice where I can.
Cookoovaya likes this.

Last edited by gpb_croppers63; Apr 21, 2022 at 3:21 pm
Old May 10, 2022, 12:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just found that A3 updated their website again and now made it more difficult to know what sub-booking classes the Light and Flex fares are - to determine if it will be eligible to use the seat upgrade coupons. Anyone else finds this a step back compared to the older interface where you can see the sub booking class?

Cheers!

Nevermind - I found out how to look for it now.

Last edited by nldogbert; May 10, 2022 at 12:59 am
Old May 10, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Just found that A3 updated their website again and now made it more difficult to know what sub-booking classes the Light and Flex fares are - to determine if it will be eligible to use the seat upgrade coupons. Anyone else finds this a step back compared to the older interface where you can see the sub booking class?

Cheers!
How did it change I can still see the subclasses and all flex fares are eligible for upgrade via voucher?
Old May 10, 2022, 1:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
How did it change I can still see the subclasses and all flex fares are eligible for upgrade via voucher?
Well previously there used to a side bar/area where you see the selected flights and the sub-class.
However with the new one, after selection of the flight, you don't see anything - but as I updated my post, it is there when you look inside the "shopping basket".

Cheers!
Xandrios and giorginho like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.