Seat upgrade coupons

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 1, 18, 3:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Wiki Link
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 21, 19, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Aegean has sent me a personalised 20% off coupon code (only for me, onetime use). What is the real life experience with using such a code and then applying an upgrade voucher?

TNX
never heard of it. but i can imagine that it's like the usual discounts they make from time to time (20-30-40%) or even the recent 20-year-birthday 50%. coupons should not be affected, while you are in one of the eligible booking classes.
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:09 am

Perhaps this feature will be available in the "manage my booking" section. I suspect it will only be for business A fare which is discounted business.
Old Jun 29, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: SA Gold, ST Gold, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
T-44 and my WAW-ATH bookings are still showing as separate (one for the original fare class and one as 'I'). I guess this means I'm out of luck?

Question: I'm already being offered OLCI. If I go ahead and OLCI does this remove the chance of the upgrade coupon ever going through?

I ask b/c the longer I wait for OLCI the worse my seat options will be.
I would book the seat and chill .
A lot of my upgrades clear in about 48-72 hours before departure.
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite A3 Silver Expedia Gold+
Did 2 x silver upgrades one cleared at the time of phone call the 2nd put on standby which has now cleared a month out. All done very quickly and efficiently, great service allround
headingwest likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
Booked MUC-ATH-SOF return, called Gold Line and got coupon applied to MUC-ATH and ATH-MUC segments immediately, ticket reissued in a minute.
Happy customer.
Old Jul 9, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*S
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
T-44 and my WAW-ATH bookings are still showing as separate (one for the original fare class and one as 'I'). I guess this means I'm out of luck?

Question: I'm already being offered OLCI. If I go ahead and OLCI does this remove the chance of the upgrade coupon ever going through?

I ask b/c the longer I wait for OLCI the worse my seat options will be.
So what's your outcome at the end?

I haven't got a chance to use the upgrade certs for a few years and finally had a chance. Last I recall it was quick and easy like some of you posted, just a quick call and done. But this time, I called the next morning after I make my booking at their website. Yes, the call was quick, but no instant upgrade like in the past. I was on the waiting list (perhaps it was more than 90 days out?). But last check, still showing as 2 separate lines (original fare and 'I')

Has this become a norm because they have to wait for the bid to close before they offer to upgrade using certs?
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S
I have a flight in 2 days and it seems as if for the 2nd time this year, my voucher don't clear. No Business tickets offered anymore for the flight on the Aegean page, so I guess no seats available anymore.
Seems as if the auctioning of the seats has an impact on the availability for vouchers, as yesterday, there were still business seats offered on the webpage. Have been on waitlist for months already...
Let's see if there is some last minute surprise, but I don't think so.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:04 pm

Which route are you on? How many seats were available before 2 days? It might have been that others have been on waiting list as well...
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S
It's for GVA - ATH.
I don't know how many seats were open, but (1) in the economy section, it said "only 3 seats available" and it was Y already, (2) it didn't say anything like this for business.
One day later, there was no business availability, and Y was without the "only 3 seats available" text.

So it seems to me as if there was some movement from economy to business (since it also coincided with the timing where vouchers normally clear, T-72).
Could obviously be bidding or voucher upgrades, but since I put in my voucher in January already and I am travelling alone, my hypothesis is bidding...
Old Yesterday, 3:23 pm

Hm, I had a similar(?) case for the lucrative route BRU-ATH. I was waitlisted and there was availability in C (at least 4 seats) at T-72. However, my upgrade did not automatically clear (my booking still showed the 2 bookings), and then C availability became 0. So, naturally, I thought that I did not get the upgrade. Buuuuut, at T-48 when tried to do checkin I was not able to (showed me in C, but could not complete it). Called the call center and they told me that the upgrade was cleared but not taken care off. After 7 minutes on the phone, got the upgrade and managed to checkin. C is full (2 rows).

I asked but did not get answer as to why my upgrade did not automatically clear (and I had to make a call).
Old Today, 12:10 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by jerry_greece View Post
I asked but did not get answer as to why my upgrade did not automatically clear (and I had to make a call).
I've noticed that they tend to only clear on Monday to Friday (I mean when making the original request). Maybe the actual re-ticketing is done manually by someone who works 'office hours'. That's not always been the case, but I've noticed it often enough that I no longer call for an upgrade at weekend any more.