Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by Artemio
No issue with that, you can buy your lap infant ticket at a very last moment. Even tough your flight is fully booked and since it doesn't require a seat, you may buy the ticket at the check in counter just 1 hour before your flight departs. But yes, I can largely understand that feeling of not having a ticket for your +0.5 until the very end. Flying with a +0.5 is already a challenge depending of his/her "at the moment" mood, then adding the fact of buying a ticket at the airport is really demanding. But at least, you know it's possible

What I would do is check that the flights you pick has already 2 I tickets in its inventory. And then call the right agent, explain the situation and book it over the phone (with a fee ), upgrade it right away, and add the lap child after that.
Thanks for the advice. Really helpful! Unfortunately there is no I class availability on any of the flights on our dates at the moment so it's definitely a waitlist job. I'm going to book it all this evening and ring A3 tomorrow to see what can be done about my coupons that expire on Saturday.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: M&M Frequent Flyer, A3 GOLD
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Now that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. The only issue is that the flights are next June and it appears that all will be waitlisted for upgrades so I'd be nervous of not adding the lap infant until the waitlist clears in case something went wrong and she wasn't able to fly with us. Somehow I think her mum would be less than amused with me. Thanks very much for the suggestion though!
No need to make things too complicated. You can book your tickets in ordinary way: book economy tickets in eligible class with infant included then ask for upgrade. No issue at all and they will take 2 coupons.
I tried it two times this spring and it worked, I didn't observe any discrimination from Aegean. We were waitlisted (no I availability) and upgraded at T-72.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: M&M Frequent Flyer, A3 GOLD
Originally Posted by Artemio
No issue with that, you can buy your lap infant ticket at a very last moment. Even tough your flight is fully booked and since it doesn't require a seat, you may buy the ticket at the check in counter just 1 hour before your flight departs.
Personally I would not do that. In most of the cases it works, but note the following condition:
  • The maximum number of infants allowed per aircraft is decided by the number of oxygen masks and infant belts available on board the aircraft.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by jonatan
No need to make things too complicated. You can book your tickets in ordinary way: book economy tickets in eligible class with infant included then ask for upgrade. No issue at all and they will take 2 coupons.
I tried it two times this spring and it worked, I didn't observe any discrimination from Aegean. We were waitlisted (no I availability) and upgraded at T-72.
Perfect, that's just the kind of data point I was after. Thanks for letting me know.

Originally Posted by jonatan
Personally I would not do that. In most of the cases it works, but note the following condition:
  • The maximum number of infants allowed per aircraft is decided by the number of oxygen masks and infant belts available on board the aircraft.
That's also a good point. I imagine it's very rare for there to be too many infants but it's not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:25 am

So I booked the flights online with the infant as I was too chicken to do it any other way. I rang A3 and it is indeed 2 coupons for the 2 adults and nothing for the baby, as confirmed by Jonatan. The problem I have is that 2 of my coupons expire on Saturday and the agent refused to ask revenue management if they could possibly open 2 seats up before they expire, as otherwise the waitlist is cancelled. It's not a major issue, as I have 4 new coupons due when these 2 expire but annoying to throw 2 away due to a lack of I class when I have flights booked. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get around this?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
You could just try calling again.
Maybe the next agent will be willing to give revenue management a call.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
You could just try calling again.
Maybe the next agent will be willing to give revenue management a call.
Yeah I'd thought of the good old HUACA move. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
So I booked the flights online with the infant as I was too chicken to do it any other way. I rang A3 and it is indeed 2 coupons for the 2 adults and nothing for the baby, as confirmed by Jonatan. The problem I have is that 2 of my coupons expire on Saturday and the agent refused to ask revenue management if they could possibly open 2 seats up before they expire, as otherwise the waitlist is cancelled. It's not a major issue, as I have 4 new coupons due when these 2 expire but annoying to throw 2 away due to a lack of I class when I have flights booked. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get around this?
(sorry, I've told this story before but this poster might benefit). This happened to me just before renewal date last year. I was trying to upgrade for a friend. Like you, the upgrade was on request and the agent told me the request would be cancelled when the coupon expired. I called again a few days later about another matter and asked the new agent and this one told me my upgrade request would still be valid after the coupon expired because the I class reservation had already been made but not ticketed (not her exact words but that was the gist of it). I checked the booking online just after the coupon expired and it was still showing as wait-listed for upgrade (I class reservation visible along with another in the original class). I called once more, around three days before the flight and was told that the request would automatically have been moved to one of my new coupons. I didn't really want this to happen - I needed the new ones for myself, but I decided to let it stand. Three different responses from three different agents! The upgrade finally went through around 12 to 18 hours before departure and, a week later, I was happy to see that none of my new coupons had been used. So... either the upgrade was indeed still tied to my old coupon or there is (was?) some bug that allows this kind of situation to fall through the cracks in the system. Either way you might just be lucky... Check your booking online the day after the coupons expire.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
(sorry, I've told this story before but this poster might benefit). This happened to me just before renewal date last year. I was trying to upgrade for a friend. Like you, the upgrade was on request and the agent told me the request would be cancelled when the coupon expired. I called again a few days later about another matter and asked the new agent and this one told me my upgrade request would still be valid after the coupon expired because the I class reservation had already been made but not ticketed (not her exact words but that was the gist of it). I checked the booking online just after the coupon expired and it was still showing as wait-listed for upgrade (I class reservation visible along with another in the original class). I called once more, around three days before the flight and was told that the request would automatically have been moved to one of my new coupons. I didn't really want this to happen - I needed the new ones for myself, but I decided to let it stand. Three different responses from three different agents! The upgrade finally went through around 12 to 18 hours before departure and, a week later, I was happy to see that none of my new coupons had been used. So... either the upgrade was indeed still tied to my old coupon or there is (was?) some bug that allows this kind of situation to fall through the cracks in the system. Either way you might just be lucky... Check your booking online the day after the coupons expire.
Wow, thanks for the info. I have a vague recollection of reading about this a while back now you mention it. It does make sense that it should work this way, as the request was made with the old coupons but you never know with airline IT systems. I will be requesting upgrades on the other legs of this itinerary once the new coupons arrive so it will be interesting to see what happens. I think I will give it another shot tomorrow to see if I get a more sympathetic agent who will ask revenue management for me but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. My 4 new coupons would cover the 2 international flights for both of us anyway so I will only be "losing out" on a domestic upgrade if it doesn't work but I just wanted to see whether I could use these 2 old coupons up as well if possible. Thanks very much to all for the input. I really appreciate it!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:24 am

OK, so final update from me on this one for the moment (unless a miracle occurs and I get the upgrade before tomorrow ). As Knobbgb found, different agents have told me different things. The first agent completely stonewalled and said that if the upgrade was not cleared by the time the coupons expire, the waitlist would be cancelled automatically (those are the terms and conditions, deal with it!). Agent 2 told me that the waitlist would stay but one of the new coupons were used (it sounds like we got the same 2 agents in the same order Knobbgb ). I tried my luck once more about an hour ago and got a very helpful third agent who promised to send the request again and highlight that the coupons were going to expire tomorrow. To be honest, I'm resigned to losing these 2 coupons but at least I know I have given it my best shot. I'd thought I would lose them anyway, as I hadn't originally planned to book any A3 flights before they expired but then we suddenly made holiday plans for next year last weekend and my very kind OH was happy to combine a family holiday with an A3 segment run so we're all winners. If the upgrades come through, I'll be even more popular.

Thanks very much to all of you for your insights!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Anyone having issues with upgraded flights not posting to A3 accounts? I flew my 4 segments last week and none of the uouograded flights have posted yet the none segment that did did clear posted the next day? Its been a couple of years since I flew A3 metal so I cannot remember if it took longer or required manual intervention
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:43 am

Until a few years ago this used to be a rather common feature of coupon-upgraded flights, which could be readily fixed by submitting the on-line form. It seems that the IT problem is back...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by kauppias
Anyone having issues with upgraded flights not posting to A3 accounts? I flew my 4 segments last week and none of the uouograded flights have posted yet the none segment that did did clear posted the next day? Its been a couple of years since I flew A3 metal so I cannot remember if it took longer or required manual intervention
In my experience, if you do not call A3 to enquire about this, it takes ~10 days for the flights to be automatically credited. Having said that, my upgraded flights I took a few months ago had credited immediately, whereas a flight I took this Sunday has yet to be credited.

Thus I believe it will eventually credit automatically, but it will take several days. If you can't wait, contact A3 and ask about it. It will then credit immediately, like KLouis said.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I tried calling they said they will send them to be credited and I should expect them in a week. Time will show

Last edited by kauppias; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:10 am

And now the miles posted 👍 happily suprised by double and triple miles 👍👍 thanks A3 😂 Gold renewed till 4/2020

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.