Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by AOH
So based on what I read, my understanding is that I have to use one coupon per segment-- for example, on my LHR to CAI trip, I will have to use two coupons (1 for LHR to ATH, and 1 for ATH to CAI)-- is this correct? Can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance.

Secondly, assuming what I wrote above is true, what happens if I only use one upgrade coupon? For example, if I only upgrade the LHR to ATH leg, do I still get all the perks (lounge access, baggage, etc.) for my second flight?

And last question, if/when I'm upgraded to Gold from Silver tiers, do my coupons expire?

I've been searching for this info for the past couple of days but may have missed it. Any help is appreciate
The first questions are answered above by someone else.

In terms of coupons expiry, unfortunately if you become Silver, you get 2 coupons, but if you re-qualify before expiry your coupons will be reset back to 2 meaning that you cannot have more than 2 coupons on your account as silver tier as they do not accumulate.

The same applies for becoming a Gold member. Your coupons will reset and you will have 4 coupons on your account. If you re-qualify before expiry, you will still have 4 coupons as they do not accumulate.

If you have the chance to do so , it is advised to use your coupons before upgrading to Gold or before re-qualifying your tier.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog

In terms of coupons expiry, unfortunately if you become Silver, you get 2 coupons, but if you re-qualify before expiry your coupons will be reset back to 2 meaning that you cannot have more than 2 coupons on your account as silver tier as they do not accumulate.

The same applies for becoming a Gold member. Your coupons will reset and you will have 4 coupons on your account. If you re-qualify before expiry, you will still have 4 coupons as they do not accumulate.

If you have the chance to do so , it is advised to use your coupons before upgrading to Gold or before re-qualifying your tier.
I think I'm misunderstanding your post. Yes, I agree that Silver members should use their coupons before trying to hit Gold, since they expire (unfortunately) when moving up statuses. But, are you saying that if you don't use your coupons before requalifying for Silver/Gold, they'll expire once you hit the required Tier Miles? That makes no sense. AFAIK, the new coupons are deposited when your membership year resets, regardless of when you actually requalified.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:11 pm
AOH

Thank you for clarifying. Any experience with upgrading only one leg?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by AOH
Thank you for clarifying. Any experience with upgrading only one leg?
Lots: for example when no upgrade availability is available for the "other" legs.

PS There are some here who say that this is not allowed. This is certainly not true!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Tennen
I think I'm misunderstanding your post. Yes, I agree that Silver members should use their coupons before trying to hit Gold, since they expire (unfortunately) when moving up statuses. But, are you saying that if you don't use your coupons before requalifying for Silver/Gold, they'll expire once you hit the required Tier Miles? That makes no sense. AFAIK, the new coupons are deposited when your membership year resets, regardless of when you actually requalified.
Hey Tennen,
I always thought that if you have 4 coupons on your account and you requalify that same year for gold, that your balance is still 4 coupons as they do Not accumulate. Have you experienced otherwise? Or do you mean that if you re-qualify as Gold it doesn't affect your coupons because the coupons only reset at the end of your membership of your first Gold status qualification?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: A3 *G
Hey Tennen,
I always thought that if you have 4 coupons on your account and you requalify that same year for gold, that your balance is still 4 coupons as they do Not accumulate. Have you experienced otherwise? Or do you mean that if you re-qualify as Gold it doesn't affect your coupons because the coupons only reset at the end of your membership of your first Gold status qualification?
The latter - if I read what you mean correctly. When you requalify for Gold NOTHING happens except you get a message saying you've requalified. It's only after the end of the membership year (i.e. the day after your requalification date as noted on the account) that everything 'resets' and you get the new vouchers (and lose the old ones if not used) and start earning tier miles again.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Ok so my experience (briefly)
LHR-ATH-SKG i am on the waiting list for LHR-ATH. I have realised that they have seperated? the tickets so the LHR-ATH is showing I but the ATH-SKG. I try to check in online and i can see i am in economy in both flights. I do not check in and decide to go to the airport. At check in i inform the agent that i am on the waiting list and he suggests to check me in in economy and i can go to the ticket desk and ask for an upgrade as he cannot upgrade me. A few minutes aftes it looks like he cannot do the check in because my first leg is I. He askes me to go to the ticket desk. The ticket desk agent manages? to DELETE my reservation from the system....No idea how he did that. He explaines to me that he tried to do the check it but he couldnt ant then the reservation dissapeared. He decides to ring Athens and...upgrade confirmed! He seems to do that all the time apparently... waiting list=cannot check in=ring athens= upgrade confirm is C available. At least thats what he told me.

Same exatly story with my return trip. SKG-ATH-LHR. Check in agent could no do anything and he had to upgrade me first. Again big issue with the tickets as he couldnt print off my tickets but i managed to get my boarding pass on my phone as 3D economy ( instead of 3D bussiness).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:38 am

Just another data point:

Waitlisted for ATH-HAM. There seemed to be availability of 4 seats in C class. 3 days before flight, waitlist cleared and availability suddenly dropped to 1 seat (i assume that there were other 2 waitlisted?) and this one last remaining seat was also available as I-class (if someone wanted to, could have upgraded or bought an award ticket).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Booked CPH-ATH and ATH-ARN for a Thursday-Sunday trip on two seperate bookings in booking class Flex U for me and the missus (we are both A3 Silver).

Called in to request upgrades, CPH-ATH was confirmed immediately and ATH-ARN was waitlisted. Waitlist foe ATH-ARN cleared a week later and we're all set and excited to revisit Greece, try A3 in J and qualify for A3 Gold. Surprised how smooth upgrading process was considering the laborious method of calling in and also considering there's only a total of 8 J seats available on both flights (i.e. we will occupy 25% of the J-cabin).

Left SK last year and gotta hand it to A3 for a fantastic service and FFP-programme so far.

Last edited by groovyfly; Jan 23, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: A3*G
Hello everyone,
I have recently acquired a Silver tier hopefully en route to Gold.
Having the two vouchers at hand, could you please clarify the "in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis" rule?
Does it mean that I can use the vouchers to upgrade into I from U, P or T if not booked into GoLight? Or I not only need to have a higher booking class but also avoid booking the GoLight option?
Thank you for your advice!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Nick David
Does it mean that I can use the vouchers to upgrade into I from U, P or T if not booked into GoLight?
Yes. Only U, P, and T GoLight tickets are excluded from the upgrade. E.g. Flex in U will be upgradeable.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:55 am

I don't remember mentioning it here (or having seen it happening before), but on one of my recent flights (I was already upgraded in C with the coupons) but after boarding was almost done, someone from ground staff @ ATH came onboard and asked a pax from Y to come to C - later i asked him and confirmed that he was on waitlist indeed (which cleared after boarding started?). Plane was not full in Y.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
I don't remember mentioning it here (or having seen it happening before), but on one of my recent flights (I was already upgraded in C with the coupons) but after boarding was almost done, someone from ground staff @ ATH came onboard and asked a pax from Y to come to C - later i asked him and confirmed that he was on waitlist indeed (which cleared after boarding started?). Plane was not full in Y.
That may become a rarer event when Bid for Upgrade comes in. Of course depending how many Y ticket holders make bids.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
when Bid for Upgrade comes in.
Have you heard something?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
Have you heard something?
Don't give them ideas For now, I trust that the IT will find it difficult to implement...
Arrivals likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.