Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
...Great - has anyone encountered this already?
Yes, my son! See my post #1471 above.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Ah yes - although the situation here is a bit different, as we talk 2 point-to-point connections.
But yes, Aegean covers it all by saying "no other airline on the ticket".

Disappointing

Maybe we should update the Wiki mentioning this point, e.g. under bullet 2: not only does it need to be Aegean or OA stock, but also all flights on the ticket need to be with those airlines.

Last edited by Carpacchio; Sep 1, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I have booked a ticket GVA - ATH - GVA, with first leg Aegean codeshare on Swiss, and second leg Aegean (ticket on Aegean stock).
When I called to upgrade the 2nd leg (which should be fine), the agent told me: there is a new rule since July 15 that you can only upgrade legs if ALL flights of the ticket are with Aegean.

And indeed, just read the T&C which say now:
"Seat upgrade is not permitted when the ticket includes any other Airline."

Great - has anyone encountered this already?
It makes sense if a one-way journey involves two or more airlines as the benefits, such as luggage allowance would have to be given for both flights. It's not so obvious for an outward and return with two airlines. It might be worth trying again - you never know, although the rule you quote is pretty clear.

The golden rule is - never book a return ticket with A3 (unless it's a same-day turnaround). It's never any cheaper and you lose some flexibility.

Since these must be in Flex, maybe you could change your outbound flight if you really want use a voucher for the return.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Knobbgb

The golden rule is - never book a return ticket with A3 (unless it's a same-day turnaround). It's never any cheaper and you lose some flexibility.

Since these must be in Flex, maybe you could change your outbound flight if you really want use a voucher for the return.
I actually checked, and booking the flights as 2 one-way flights would have cost about 20 Eur per leg more !

And changing the outbound flight would also be considerably more expensive (that's why I took the Swiss flight in the first place, as I normally try to avoid code shares)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: M&M, M&B
Upgrade on GoLight fare somehow possible?

Today I have booked our next flights to Greece in the GoLight fare (booking class U) with the intention to upgrade them with my vouchers as I did it during our last trip in the beginning of last year. Now I realized that the booking class U in the GoLight fare can no longer be upgraded
Is there a way to use the vouchers anyhow to get us upgraded??
Anything I can do to change to a eligible booking class?

Last edited by payga; Sep 2, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by payga
Today I have booked our next flights to Greece in the GoLight fare (booking class U) with the intention to upgrade them with my vouchers as I did it during our last trip in the beginning of last year. Now I realized that the booking class U in the GoLight fare can no longer be upgraded
Is there a way to use the vouchers anyhow to get us upgraded??
Anything I can do to change to a eligible booking class?
Only one way I can think of: call them and ask to be rebooked in the next fare class that allows upgrade with coupon. This will cost you 20 € plus the difference between U and the next fare class. Before asking for the change, though, make sure that there is I availability, otherwise you'll pay without upgrading into business.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Chances are that they will charge a 40-60 euro fee as well, as GoLight U class tickets typically carry such change fee. If they allow it at all, as this 'change' is not described in the fare rules. Call and ask - perhaps they are willing to make an exception.

An alternative method is that you could change the tickets (online) yourself, moving the flights to another day that has S class (or up) availability only. If you would have an acceptable alternative travel day that may work out. It would however require you to wait for the alternative travel day to have availability in class S (or up), and only then do the change. It would also be cheapest to do this to all legs in the booking at once, as you only pay the change fee once in that case.

Depending on the cost of these tickets you could also consider simply booking new ones. Either in class S (or up), or, as Flex in class U. If the current tickets were at a very low sale price that may be the cheapest option in the end. In any case make sure to compare prices for all options.

Do make sure that you first call to verify availability though, like KLouis already mentioned - it would be an extremely sour experience if after all that there is no availability.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 3, 2017 at 3:12 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
...If they allow it at all, as this 'change' is not described in the fare rules. Call and ask - perhaps they are willing to make an exception...
Oh, they've done it for me last year, for that same reason But I no longer remember details (fare class involved, fees, etc.)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
An alternative method is that you could change the tickets (online) yourself, moving the flights to another day that has S class (or up) availability only. If you would have an acceptable alternative travel day that may work out. .
If you actually wait until S class becomes available on your original day of travel you can "change" the ticket online to go on the exact same flight but in the new booking class, with the usual fees as already mentioned. So, no need to change your travel day.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: M&M, M&B
Thanks for your replies!

I already checked and I-class is available, so upgrade should be possible.
First thing I will do is call them tomorrow. Perhaps I'm lucky and they change my tickets to S class as described by KLouis. In case they don't I will check the other options.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have memorized TUP in "GO LIGHT" as booking classes to avoid especially if I want to use upgrade coupons. So remember no TUP's!

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payga
Thanks for your replies!

I already checked and I-class is available, so upgrade should be possible.
First thing I will do is call them tomorrow. Perhaps I'm lucky and they change my tickets to S class as described by KLouis. In case they don't I will check the other options.
I class may be available but what will it cost you to change that fare, thats more important or can you even change a Go Light fare type.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
This is why I think the change (to those non-elligle buckets) was so unfair. Some people won't have been aware of the change. It should have been communicated by Miles&Bonus to all its status members. They're quick enough to send out marketing material!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare rules for Internet Economy Class Fares within GREECE.

Minimum stay: No minimum stay.
Maximum stay: Return travel from last stopover must commence no later than 12 months after departure from fare origin.

Penalties-Change / Cancels:

Flex Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class at no charge, or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares. No-show changes free of charge.

GoLight Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, W, L, K Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class by paying rebooking fees of € 30.00 (Per passenger/ per segment), or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares plus a penalty of € 30.00 (Per passenger/ per segment). Permitted only in the same fare family with original ticket In GoLight only.No-show charge, € 30.00.

REBOOKING AND REISSUE MUST BE COMPLETED AT THE SAME TIME

GoLight Cabin (S, T, U, P Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class by paying rebooking fees of € 30.00 (Per passenger/ per segment), or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares plus a penalty of € 30.00 (Per passenger/ per segment). Permitted only in the same fare family with original ticket In GoLight only.
In case of No-show changes not permitted.

Refunds:

Flex Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): Permitted. A Refund Fee of €45 for domestic tickets is applied per flight.

GoLight (Y, B, M, H, Q, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): It is permitted only partial refund equal to the tax charges. A Refund Fee of €20 for domestic and international tickets is applied.

https://en.aegeanair.com/PlainConten...es&language=GB
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare Rules for Internet Economy Class Fares for International Flights between Greece and Cyprus, Italy, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Turkey, Israel, Poland, Czech Republic, Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Georgia, Lebanon, Romania and Jordan.

Minimum stay: No minimum stay
Maximum stay: Return travel from last stopover must commence no later than 12 months after departure from fare origin

Penalties-Change / Cancels
:

Flex Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class at no charge, or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares. No-show changes free of charge.

GoLight Cabin (Y, B, M, H Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class by paying rebooking fees of € 40.00 (Per passenger/ per segment), or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares plus a penalty of € 40.00 (Per passenger/ per segment).
Permitted only in the same fare family with original ticket In GoLight only. No-show charge, € 50.00.

GoLight Cabin (Q, V, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): Any time, changes permitted, on the same booking Class by paying rebooking fees of € 40.00 (Per passenger/ per segment) , or on the highest available, by paying the difference between both fares plus a penalty of € 40.00 (Per passenger/ per segment).
Permitted only in the same fare family with original ticket In GoLight only. In case of No-show changes not permitted.

Refunds:

Flex Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): Permitted. A Refund Fee of €50 is applied per flight.

GoLight Cabin (Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, L, K, S, T, U, P Class): It is permitted only partial refund equal to the tax charges. A Refund Fee of €20 for domestic and international tickets is applied.

https://en.aegeanair.com/PlainConten...es&language=GB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.