Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
One general rule applies at all time. Be nice to the agents, and they are nice to you. When you start your question with a 'hi how are you?' instead of pushing your demands and/or wishes, you will see that almost anything can be arranged. (Within the boundaries of what is allowed of course).
Yep having been on the other side of the counter many years ago I can tell you that is certainly the way to go. ^^
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
I have just used my four upgrade vouchers to upgrade the longer flights in various two-sector itineraries (eg ATH-TXL in LCA-ATH-TXL). All of these were on Go Light fares. What is most interesting is that the M&B agent changed the baggage allowance to 2 pieces for all sectors. If this is standard practice, it constitutes a further useful benefit from the new program.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: A3 Gold
just upgraded an ATH-IST flight booked via third party website. question is: got booked into "I" class. does it mean I will not get any miles for it?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i have a 006 ticket with 2 segments on A3, is there a way to apply the upgrade?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pbd456
i have a 006 ticket with 2 segments on A3, is there a way to apply the upgrade?
There doesn't seem to be a restriction on ticket stock, so - even though this was issued by DL - you should be able to ring A3 and apply your coupons. Presumably obtaining the A3 PNR would be helpful though.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by murilix
just upgraded an ATH-IST flight booked via third party website. question is: got booked into "I" class. does it mean I will not get any miles for it?
No. it's been reported that the new fare-class is:

[ZZ]/UPGR

where [ZZ] is your originally booked class (i.e. PNOBAG)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
No. it's been reported that the new fare-class is:

[ZZ]/UPGR

where [ZZ] is your originally booked class (i.e. PNOBAG)
Contrary to other reports where bag allowances have been increased with the move in the Business cabin, my experience still aligns with this - with a ticket apparently issued and showing, my PNR record on A3's site stills shows only as one bag for *G on a GoLight booking (and Check My Trip doesn't show any bag information whatsoever).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:43 am

It has also been reported that a GL fare upgraded to I class does indeed show 3 bags for *G members at check in.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Aegean *G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
It has also been reported that a GL fare upgraded to I class does indeed show 3 bags for *G members at check in.

that is correct. upgraded two go light fares ATH-MUC-ATH with the coupons and i have 3 bags allowance as *G.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:45 am

Seat upgrade coupons (merged threads)

Just upgraded 2 flex fares each with a domestic Greek leg on single class plane service - they don't touch the domestic legs leaving the seat assignments and all intact on those non upgraded legs
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: A3 *G
For once I'm posting to report a failure in upgrading.

I just called them and was informed that it's not possible to do the upgrade yet because "that part of the new IT system is not working yet" and that I should call back maybe next week. So, that could mean:

(a) They are making changes to the system again so it is currently not working.
(b) The rep. didn't know that it could be done yet or just didn't know how to do it.

I did tell her that I already upgraded another seat last week and she had a look at it (I made my free seat selection), so I am guessing it is (a). Anybody else having problems at the moment? I'm worried that award availability may be gone by then (although it is available right now) as the flight is only three weeks away.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:11 am

I've got 2 questions if anyone can help:

1. Can GoLight fares be upgraded?
2. Are miles credited based on the original fare or the upgraded fare?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:37 am

I upgraded FRA-ATH-LCA and LCA-SKG-FRA to Business Class with my vouchers. They were all booked as GoLight originally.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:12 am

I've got some general questions regarding the upgrade to business class. My partner and I are flying FRA-ATH-LCA next year. Originally we had one confirmation number. When I used my upgrade vouchers to get upgraded to business class the booking was split and now we have individual booking numbers. My partner will stay in Economy.

1. Can I switch seats with him? So that I fly business during FRA-ATH and he flies business during ATH-LCA?

2. In case the two other seats would remain empty next to me ... Would he be allowed to sit with me? I mean not the whole time but after food has been served for example.

3. and last question: I read that in some cases special busses for business class passengers are available for transport from plane to the terminal or vice versa. Can he use them as well when I tell them that we are traveling together?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
Unless you are booked in GoLight, you could try to upgrade your partner with miles....

He will definitely not be allowed to sit with you in Business, not even after meal...

To be honest, I would never do what you did, in your case I would have preferred to stay in economy... travelling with my loved one by my side is worth much more than me travelling alone in business class... and if we had to split, my partner would fly the longer sector, or even all, in business..... Maybe I am finally getting that Xmas feeling... Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all of you! It is so much fun to be on here!

Last edited by EAPflyer; Dec 21, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.