Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select Request award ticket from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Old May 27, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by chivchiv
Hi Everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here at FlyerTalk.

I have a question regarding Aegean terminology of "flights" - I've included an example below as illustration and was hoping someone out there could shed some light on this.

Hypothetically, if had 12,000 tier miles and I am currently on Blue M&B. What would happen after taking following flight, Rhodes to Warsaw?

Leg 1: RHO to ATH (A37201 on Olympic Air)
Leg 2: ATH to MUN (A3802 on Aegean Air)
Leg 3: MUN to WAW (A31490 on Lufthansa)

My question is what would happen terms of redemption?

Does it count as:
1 flight as it was a single 'journey' (Rhodes to Warsaw);
2 flights as two of legs were on OA/AE; or
3 flights as all legs had different 'A3' flight numbers?

Further to this, if it is "3 flights" as above, does it auto-upgrade to Silver and discard the last leg?

(link to photo - http://i65.tinypic.com/bgxxd5.png)

Thanks!
chivchiv
Base on the conversation I had with the A3 agent, any extra miles will roll over and count towards your next status. But once you reach *G, the extra miles will not count for next year's status.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Jma12
Base on the conversation I had with the A3 agent, any extra miles will roll over and count towards your next status. But once you reach *G, the extra miles will not count for next year's status.
True.

But be careful with LH flights - they are quite stingy with awards credited to A3. Many earn nothing at all - or just a small number of miles, even for quite expensive tickets. It's not clear what booking class that third flight is in so we cannot be sure. The actual earnings are described here (remember to click 'European Cross Border'):

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...nes/#LUFTHANSA
Old May 28, 2017, 7:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by chivchiv
Thanks for the quick reply Xandrios!

As a follow on, you need to fly an actual A3/OA flight for it count, right? So the below codeshare would neither receive tier miles nor 'flights credits'? as it's actually flown by Etihad, the A3 flight number makes no difference.

Absolutely right. The flight needs to be operated by either A3/OA in order to earn 'one flight credit', level miles plus award miles, or, operated by a star alliance partner to earn level miles plus award miles.

Unfortunately Etihad doesn't fall into either category and would therefore earn zero miles.

One other thing to keep in mind is that with codeshares the actual booking class of the operating carrier, is not always the same as the marketing one. E.g., the LH flight booked under A3 flight number may be listed as Aegean class X, however the operating LH flight may be actually in Lufthansa class Y. The flight will earn according to LH Y class in this example.

Last edited by Xandrios; May 28, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old May 21, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is there any scenario in which an A3 account credited with 48,000 tier miles over 20 consecutive months could remain A3*Silver when the four most recent flights credited to the account were A3 flights under 1500 miles each?

What I'm really getting at is this: is there ever an error in the website's indication of how many more tier miles are needed for an upgrade from Silver to Gold? If the accounts don't get upgraded immediately upon the additional tier miles/flights being credited to the account, I could see there being such an error.

To answer my questions: yes; and yes. It happens because there is a gap in time between when the qualification requirement for going from Silver to Gold hit and when the account upgrade from Silver to Gold is completed. A recent example I looked at involved an 80-90 minute gap between (a) when an account was credited with enough tier miles to meet the threshold for status upgrade and (b) when the status upgrade took place.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 21, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there any scenario in which an A3 account credited with 48,000 tier miles over 20 consecutive months could remain A3*Silver when the four most recent flights credited to the account were A3 flights under 1500 miles each?

What I'm really getting at is this: is there ever an error in the website's indication of how many more tier miles are needed for an upgrade from Silver to Gold? If the accounts don't get upgraded immediately upon the additional tier miles/flights being credited to the account, I could see there being such an error.

To answer my questions: yes; and yes. It happens because there is a gap in time between when the qualification requirement for going from Silver to Gold hit and when the account upgrade from Silver to Gold is completed. A recent example I looked at involved an 80-90 minute gap between (a) when an account was credited with enough tier miles to meet the threshold for status upgrade and (b) when the status upgrade took place.
How can you tell there was an 80 to 90 minute Gap? Flights are only credited to the DAY they took place (and usually added a day or two later), not to a specific time. Usually there is actually a two to three day gap between these two events, not 80 to 90 minutes! In my case my account was upgraded from Silver to Gold three days after the qualifying flight was taken. Although I believe this situation has been improved somewhat now, there is usually at least a day gap where you could take a points-earning flight and receive zero award miles (I did!). It doesn't seem fair but that's how it is.

If you observed a 1.5hr gap between your qualifying flight being credited and your status changing that wouldn't make any difference at all. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
How can you tell there was an 80 to 90 minute Gap? Flights are only credited to the DAY they took place (and usually added a day or two later), not to a specific time. Usually there is actually a two to three day gap between these two events, not 80 to 90 minutes! In my case my account was upgraded from Silver to Gold three days after the qualifying flight was taken. Although I believe this situation has been improved somewhat now, there is usually at least a day gap where you could take a points-earning flight and receive zero award miles (I did!). It doesn't seem fair but that's how it is.

If you observed a 1.5hr gap between your qualifying flight being credited and your status changing that wouldn't make any difference at all. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
I wasn't referring to specific flight times.

There was an 80-90 minute gap in between:

1. the time of the tier's threshold-crossing flights/tier mile-purchases being credited annd showing up on the accounts online as transactions

and

2. the time where those accounts got the card upgrade processed and became Gold as visible online.

During that window of time, the tier mile tracker for qualification/requalification seemed off in a ways and the account upgrades to Gold had not yet taken place.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 22, 2019 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:17 am

friends, quick question about earning gold status in M&B. Now I am only blue one but having a few flights ahead. I already flew 2x with Aegean so now I just need to fly 9000 miles to earn Silver. But just to be sure, what happens if I fly another Aegean flights before I earn Silver status?
Will these be counted/deducted from (To upgrade to Gold tier I still need: xxxxx including 4 Aegean or Olympic Air flights) after I will fly non-aegean flights and I get silver status or I have to fly 4 Aegean or Olympic Air flights straight after I earn Silver status? thank you for confirmation
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Anything you fly before you get silver will count as accrued miles only and do nothing for gold, you need for sectors once you are silver.
Taten_R.O.C. and romans like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:11 am

Good to see another family based program. I hope it will not be as restrictive as British Airways.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:23 am

Hello, two questions about this program as I may try for Gold during 2021. And I understand the basics of the program.

-Do OA (Olympic) flights count fully towards the A3 program?

-I do not have a grasp of codeshares (and maybe I am not using the correct terminology). If I book A3 metal flights through UA (United), how are program earnings reflected? I ask because UA is advertising free cancellation (with some conditions). It may be a false belief, but if I cancel through UA, I have a better chance of either getting a refund, or in some cases a credit for UA; whereas I may not receive a prompt refund from A3 (and likely would not be able to use an A3 credit in a timely manner).

Thank you!

Steve
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
Hello, two questions about this program as I may try for Gold during 2021. And I understand the basics of the program.

-Do OA (Olympic) flights count fully towards the A3 program?

-I do not have a grasp of codeshares (and maybe I am not using the correct terminology). If I book A3 metal flights through UA (United), how are program earnings reflected? I ask because UA is advertising free cancellation (with some conditions). It may be a false belief, but if I cancel through UA, I have a better chance of either getting a refund, or in some cases a credit for UA; whereas I may not receive a prompt refund from A3 (and likely would not be able to use an A3 credit in a timely manner).

Thank you!

Steve
Olympic flights do count as qualifying flights for the Miles&Bonus programme.

Regarding codeshares, with Star Alliance it's the operating airline that counts, not the airline that markets the flight. So if you book an Aegean flight with a UA flight code, you'll earn as per Aegean's earning chart. Be careful though, codeshare flights often map fare codes differently (for example if you book a UA coded Aegean flight in K class, that might actually earn as a different class when credited).
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:45 pm

Jeeeesus, my wiki is still there
It might need some updatin' ...

Snacky
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Quick question - and quite possibly a stupid one. Do redemption flights operated by A3/OA count towards the 4 segments required to re qualify for Gold? I suspect not, but just wanted to make sure
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
Quick question - and quite possibly a stupid one. Do redemption flights operated by A3/OA count towards the 4 segments required to re qualify for Gold? I suspect not, but just wanted to make sure
Elementary my dear Watson, they should not count!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.