Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Andr Eas, welcome to FT and the A3 forum. Hopefully you'll feel at home here and will be able to contribute to our community as you gain more travelling experience with A3.

As has been said, there has not been any change to the baggage allowances and indeed - unlike some airlines on Hand Baggage Only fares - A3 fully respects the *A principle of an extra bag for *G on even its lowest fares.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
I've read the wiki and all the M&B T&Cs online.

A spot of confusion here about how the qualification and renewal periods work. I am currently Silver, with a renewal date of 24 Nov 2017, I've already retained it so this is now valid to 24 Nov 2018, and I am on my way to 24k miles within a rolling 12 month period, so I hit Gold.

I have most of these in hand, but will be 3,239 short as of mid-March, which marks a year since some flying I did in one burst. If I don't have those miles then, I will instead need 6,804 by mid-Nov.

I cannot work out if it's worth some horrible econ flights on UA now, just to hit this in March, or to wait until I can use a ticket I'm holding in credit in PE on NZ LHR-LAX rtn, earning about 5,500 each way.

The key question is, once I hit Gold, how long would I retain that for - is it:
1. A calendar year from when I get it
2. Until this membership year end ie 24th Nov 2017
3. Until next membership year end ie 24th Nov 2018

Follow-up question - once I hit Gold, what is the renewal period?
1. From when I get it, for a fixed 12 months
2. From when I get it, until I get 12k miles, then the year restarts
3. From the next new membership year starting 24th Nov
4. Something else

Thanks...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: Aegean Mils & Bonus
Originally Posted by frb98mf
I've read the wiki and all the M&B T&Cs online.

A spot of confusion here about how the qualification and renewal periods work. I am currently Silver, with a renewal date of 24 Nov 2017, I've already retained it so this is now valid to 24 Nov 2018, and I am on my way to 24k miles within a rolling 12 month period, so I hit Gold.

I have most of these in hand, but will be 3,239 short as of mid-March, which marks a year since some flying I did in one burst. If I don't have those miles then, I will instead need 6,804 by mid-Nov.

I cannot work out if it's worth some horrible econ flights on UA now, just to hit this in March, or to wait until I can use a ticket I'm holding in credit in PE on NZ LHR-LAX rtn, earning about 5,500 each way.

The key question is, once I hit Gold, how long would I retain that for - is it:
1. A calendar year from when I get it
2. Until this membership year end ie 24th Nov 2017
3. Until next membership year end ie 24th Nov 2018

Follow-up question - once I hit Gold, what is the renewal period?
1. From when I get it, for a fixed 12 months
2. From when I get it, until I get 12k miles, then the year restarts
3. From the next new membership year starting 24th Nov
4. Something else

Thanks...
Once you hit Gold, you will retain it for a calendar year from the date status upgrade.

Once you hit Gold, the renewal period will be the same as the time your status is retained, i.e. for a fixed 12 months from date of status upgrade.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by igelkotten
Once you hit Gold, you will retain it for a calendar year from the date status upgrade.

Once you hit Gold, the renewal period will be the same as the time your status is retained, i.e. for a fixed 12 months from date of status upgrade.
Great, thanks. A bit clearer... But then what happens to the excess points I earn as I cross the threshold? In my case I'm holding this NZ flight credit but it seems I would "burn" the surplus miles which could be quite material, if (say) I need 3,300 miles and earn 5,500 on the flight that takes me over the line. Or do those 2,200 carry towards the next year? Appears not...

And what happens during the new renewal period?
a. Each 12,000 miles I earn, it restarts for 12 months from that date.
b. It's a fixed 12 months from then on, ie anything I earn over 12,000 miles in any 12 month period, I get the award miles but the status miles are basically moot.

I think the answer is (b), but want to be sure!

Last edited by frb98mf; Feb 10, 2017 at 5:10 am
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:55 pm

It's b.

Keep in mind that you can buy some status miles. So maybe you need a less horrible mileage run.

Silver members can buy 1000 status miles per year, gold members 2000.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Hi All, I'm very sorry for what is probably an elementary question, but I need some help understanding the upgrade from Blue to Gold.

I'm currently Blue having gone straight there from a status match a few years ago. However I have some flights coming up on *A.

Last 12 months tier miles: 7,148
Upcoming flights: 16,069
Total mileage: 23,217

I am able to take a MR to do the 4 sectors (min 2323 miles,) but I am not sure how the reset process works from Blue to Silver to Gold.

If I do a 4 sector MR and conclude at 25,540 will I go straight to gold, or be left short at Silver?
Old May 19, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by OttoMH
Hi All, I'm very sorry for what is probably an elementary question, but I need some help understanding the upgrade from Blue to Gold.

I'm currently Blue having gone straight there from a status match a few years ago. However I have some flights coming up on *A.

Last 12 months tier miles: 7,148
Upcoming flights: 16,069
Total mileage: 23,217

I am able to take a MR to do the 4 sectors (min 2323 miles,) but I am not sure how the reset process works from Blue to Silver to Gold.

If I do a 4 sector MR and conclude at 25,540 will I go straight to gold, or be left short at Silver?
You will need total of six A3/OA flights with 36k miles in order to achive *G:

From Blue to Silver: 2 A3/OA with 12k miles
From Silver to Gold: 4 A3/OA with 24k miles

According to your data, you will still need 2 A3/OA flights with 12,783 miles to get *G. Base on the communication I had with the agent, any additional miles or A3/OA segments will be roll over until you reach Gold status.

Also, keep in mind that the tier miles of your first flight expires in 12 months.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Thank you Jma12!

It looks like I'll need some extra Star Alliance mileage then! I wonder if they will match my OWE or ST E+?
Old May 20, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH
...It looks like I'll need some extra Star Alliance mileage then! I wonder if they will match my OWE or ST E+?
To my knowledge, A3 has never matched membership in a different, active FF program, independent of the alliance that belongs to. Two exceptions to that, though, they did match membership in programs of *A airlines that went out of business (Spanair, bmi). Does anybody have a different "experience"/knowledge?
Old May 22, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis
To my knowledge, A3 has never matched membership in a different, active FF program, independent of the alliance that belongs to. Two exceptions to that, though, they did match membership in programs of *A airlines that went out of business (Spanair, bmi). Does anybody have a different "experience"/knowledge?
Another exception is that they allowed Gold members of the defunct Cyprus Airlines FFP to be matched to A3*G.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:11 am

Hi Everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here at FlyerTalk.

I have a question regarding Aegean terminology of "flights" - I've included an example below as illustration and was hoping someone out there could shed some light on this.

Hypothetically, if had 12,000 tier miles and I am currently on Blue M&B. What would happen after taking following flight, Rhodes to Warsaw?

Leg 1: RHO to ATH (A37201 on Olympic Air)
Leg 2: ATH to MUN (A3802 on Aegean Air)
Leg 3: MUN to WAW (A31490 on Lufthansa)

My question is what would happen terms of redemption?

Does it count as:
1 flight as it was a single 'journey' (Rhodes to Warsaw);
2 flights as two of legs were on OA/AE; or
3 flights as all legs had different 'A3' flight numbers?

Further to this, if it is "3 flights" as above, does it auto-upgrade to Silver and discard the last leg?

(link to photo - http://i65.tinypic.com/bgxxd5.png)

Thanks!
chivchiv
Old May 27, 2017, 5:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Welcome to FT!

You would get 3 segments credited, of which 2 will count as 'aegean / Olympic' flights for the purpose of lowering the qualification limits. The LH flight will not count towards that as it is not operated by A3/OA. It will however earn miles

I would say that after the first two flights you would Qualify for silver, which will be processed a few days later. The LH flight will be flown after qualification but before the upgrade, therefore I don't know for sure if it would count towards your silver re-qualification (or qualification towards Gold), or, if the qualifying miles would be lost. Somebody else may be able to confirm that hopefully
Old May 27, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
You would get 3 segments credited, of which 2 will count as 'aegean / Olympic' flights for the purpose of lowering the qualification limits. The LH flight will not count towards that as it is not operated by A3/OA.
Thanks for the quick reply Xandrios!

As a follow on, you need to fly an actual A3/OA flight for it count, right? So the below codeshare would neither receive tier miles nor 'flights credits'? as it's actually flown by Etihad, the A3 flight number makes no difference.

Old May 27, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Yes. You would get the miles to Aegean (due to the Aegean flight number) but not the flight credit. Better to get it in writing though. The terms and conditions limit accrual to star alliance members + Olympic Air.
chapter 3
https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...nd-conditions/

Last edited by Tokyoite; May 27, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old May 27, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Yes. You would get the miles to Aegean (due to the Aegean flight number) but not the flight credit...
Wrong, unfortunately no miles of any kind. One has to fly on either A3/OA or *A. There was a recent thread non that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.