Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck
To keep *G I need to fly 12k and 4 flights need to be on A3/OA. Can the 4 flights be on an award ticket purchased with miles?
The answer is very simple: NO.
I and X class were not eligibale to earn miles, so they also don't count for re-qualification.

Originally Posted by Snacky
That's a good question to ask A3 by making a phonecall to their CS (or email them), as their FAQ does not say anything about that at all. I highly doubt it though. If you decide to try to find out, please let us know what they answer.
Why do you want to bother A3 with such simple questions?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by KL714
Hi all, I was just about to enroll with A3 as I will be flying 19k miles on UA in February (which would take me to 20k tier miles in total with the 1k subscription bonus). With the new program changes I am thinking of just taking four A3 flights on a MR later in 2015 which would take me to 24k miles and 4 segments on A3. However, I just phoned A3 and they told me that in order to become gold as a blue member, one first needs to qualify for silver, after which you need to qualify for gold. When I asked her if I understood correctly that in order to become gold as a blue member you then need 36k miles and 6 segments, she confirmed that this is indeed the case. Is this correct or do you only need 24k and 4 A3 segments to go from blue to gold?
Call again. If someone else at A3 says the same, then we should probably assume that this is indeed the case.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Sep 27, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:40 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Flinders
As far as we know, the New M&B program begins 24 November. Anything before that _should_ still be under the old rules.
(Which irks me slightly because I have a *A mistake fare trip coming up that will get me about 7K miles, and it would be nice if they counted towards requalification).
On 24/11/2014 there will be an adjustment of tier miles. Anything tier before 24/11/2013 will be thrown and you will stay with tier miles from 24/11/2013 to 24/11/2014. Then, a further adjustment will happen that will match you to blue/silver/gold.

In a strange example, A3 explained that:

Existing Gold with 33.500 tier miles:
20.000 tier miles gathered before 24/11/2013 -> they will be expired
13.500 tier miles including 2 flights in A3/OA gathered the last 12 months counting back from launch date -> member will remain to Gold tier, so 12.000 tier miles will be used for the retain to Gold tier, consequently the tier miles that will remain to member’s account will finally be 1.500 tier miles.

Existing Gold with 25.000 tier miles:
5.000 tier miles will remain in his account and even if they are not enough for Gold tier retain, the member will remain to Gold tier but with 0 tier miles.

Existing Gold with 20.000 tier miles:
20.000 tier miles gathered before lbefore 24/11/2013 -> they will be expired 0 tier miles will remain in his account and even if they are not enough for Gold tier retain, the member will remain to Gold tier but with 0 tier miles.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:12 pm

New Program Details for M&B

Thanks Snacky and GZ for your replies and effort.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:28 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
On 24/11/2014 there will be an adjustment of tier miles. Anything tier before 24/11/2013 will be thrown and you will stay with tier miles from 24/11/2013 to 24/11/2014. Then, a further adjustment will happen that will match you to blue/silver/gold.

In a strange example, A3 explained that:

Existing Gold with 33.500 tier miles:
13.500 tier miles including 2 flights in A3/OA gathered the last 12 months counting back from launch date -> member will remain to Gold tier, so 12.000 tier miles will be used for the retain to Gold tier, consequently the tier miles that will remain to member’s account will finally be 1.500 tier miles.

Existing Gold with 25.000 tier miles:
5.000 tier miles will remain in his account and even if they are not enough for Gold tier retain, the member will remain to Gold tier but with 0 tier miles.

Existing Gold with 20.000 tier miles:
20.000 tier miles gathered before lbefore 24/11/2013 -> they will be expired 0 tier miles will remain in his account and even if they are not enough for Gold tier retain, the member will remain to Gold tier but with 0 tier miles.
Well, that's my re-qual almost sorted then . I currently have 43k miles in 2014 ...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Is this a one time event or is this the new system?
Currently, tier miles expire 12 months after flight date. So the "miles will be thrown" is just the same as it always was.
Then it sounds like tier miles will once a year be used to "purchase" the next year tier.

The interesting part is the miles you are left with after that. Will or won't they expire after 12 months?
If tier miles no longer expires by date, it would mean you can always bank miles and use them as you need for renewal. If so, that is a nice feature. If they still expire, it is quite pointless to even mention them, as they will have expired when it is time to "purchase" your next year tier.

Last edited by intuition; Sep 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm Reason: Rewrite, making my point clearer
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:34 pm

Deleted. I misunderstood something vital to my posts usefulness to the issue, and I blame that solely on late night (too late) erroneous logical reasoning
@jerry_greece: Thanks for informing us about this.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Sep 28, 2014 at 2:49 am
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It looks like that tier miles beyond what is needed for re-qualification will rollover into the next year's requalification, like Delta does it.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This whole thing lasted 3-4 years, so most people had plenty of time to take advantage of Aegean. The only people I feel bad for are the people that have recently qualified, but even so, they still get at least a year of status until requalification requirements kick in.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
It seems that jerry_greece has some sort of info (even if only from a A3 call center agent) about accrued Tier miles earned before 24.11.13. However, one thing that I have found unclear is what happens with Tier miles earned in 2014 (or, more specifically, post 24.11.13). The new FAQ is vague on whether the new M&B begins ex nihilo, or whether Tier miles earned in 2014 could help requalify you for post 23.11.15 status. E.g. If I have X Tier miles in activity post-24/11/13, what happens with those miles?

My reading of the FAQ is that all Tier miles earned before 24/11/14 are essentially "old" Tier miles, that won't help you qualify under the new M&B. But jerry_greece's comment, if read between the lines, indicates that Tier miles will roll over if not "consumed" to qualify you for a status tier.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A3*G comes with a voucher for 3 day pass for Holmes Place fitness/spa center and a 30-minute massage. Something else to do when doing the A3 4-segment run.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:55 pm

Thanks jerry_greece for taking the time to check with A3! ^

So my understanding, based on the FAQ and jerry_greece's post, (of course, I might be wrong!) is that:

- Tier miles accrued before 24/11/13 will be discarded
- Tier miles accrued after 24/11/13 will be consumed up to the amount required to requalify for Gold for under the new program.
- i.e. 12k with 2 (or is it 4?) A3/OA flights, 24k without.
- The remainder, if any, will be brought over to the new program and expire in 24/11/15.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, that's my re-qual almost sorted then . I currently have 43k miles in 2014 ...
In this case, if none of the flights were on A3/OA, you would have 43k - 24k = 19k tier miles when the new program starts. Assuming these are valid till 24/11/15, then requalifying by then will be a piece of cake

Last edited by systemshock; Sep 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reason: updated expiry of new miles
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:47 pm
fwb

Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I've a confirmed trip and I'll earn my 20000th mile after a flight on Nov 20. Do you think I'll still get upgraded to hold if the miles of my flight credited after Nov 24?

I tried to email them and not yet get a reply.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:14 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by systemshock
In this case, if none of the flights were on A3/OA, you would have 43k - 24k = 19k tier miles when the new program starts. Assuming these are valid till 24/11/15, then requalifying by then will be a piece of cake
My last A3 flights were just outside the range because I haven't been to Greece this year, so this was exactly my reading as well . To be fair, requalification shouldn't have been too much of a problem anyway but there's certainly no great pressure on now if this is correct.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by fwb
I've a confirmed trip and I'll earn my 20000th mile after a flight on Nov 20. Do you think I'll still get upgraded to hold if the miles of my flight credited after Nov 24? I tried to email them and not yet get a reply.
That's what I'm looking to get confirmed too, so please report your findings when and if you get an answer. Others have reported (after calling A3) that you will indeed qualify under those circumstances (just), and all reasoning would indicate that if you fly your qualifying flight in the days before or on the 23rd of November, you should be fine, even though your miles and card upgrade would not post until a few days after the new programme is in effect. I'm sure A3 have thought of this possible scenario, but it would be nice if they put something in the FAQ about it too, as I'm pretty sure a lot of people will change their already booked itineraries (or perform strategical booking) to accomodate an upgrade before the new programme commences.

Snacky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.