Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
The WIKI has been moved to the "New Program Details for M&B"-thread".
Print Wikipost

Lifetime *G coming to an end? [rumor]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:17 am

Lifetime *G coming to an end?

Hi, quick requalification question. Currently *G with A3 till 12/2015. Going to fly 21k Miles in Nov crediting to A3. Will this extend my *G by 1y or 2y or not at all? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck
Hi, quick requalification question. Currently *G with A3 till 12/2015. Going to fly 21k Miles in Nov crediting to A3. Will this extend my *G by 1y or 2y or not at all? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks
I am exactly in your shoes, the same situation. I don't know what to do, credit to Aegean or try to status match with Turkish and credit to MilesAndSmiles...Or open account in Asiana and start from the scratch ? Unfortunately, we don't know the official info from Aegean about changes and subjects affected. Qualification requirements is one thing, possible changes of mileage redemption levels other...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I am going to wait for the official announcement from A3.

In the meantime I have been intending to try TK (flights) for a while but am not in a position to do so until next June; when I have booked these (which should be enough to requalify for TK *S assuming I get matched to *G) I will request a status match with TK and see what happens. I'll then have 24 months to requalify for TK*G, i.e. to decide whether A3 is worth keeping or not.

If this isn't going to work then I will be aiming for BA Silver which I have previously not been able to achieve because of a bad membership year end date, but I have now closed and reopened my account with a more suitable year end.

My wife has been wanting to go to Cyprus for a while, so I think the deciding factor will be whether we have enough BA Tier Points, in which case we will fly A3 to get 4 segments (as long as the price is right). Now that I am no longer a student I can actually fly in the low seasons - which means that OW flights become more attractive for my routes anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck
Originally Posted by szczurwa
I am exactly in your shoes, the same situation. I don't know what to do, credit to Aegean or try to status match with Turkish and credit to MilesAndSmiles...Or open account in Asiana and start from the scratch ? Unfortunately, we don't know the official info from Aegean about changes and subjects affected. Qualification requirements is one thing, possible changes of mileage redemption levels other...
Fortunately my remaining planned flights prior to the announcement are all on OneWorld, so I don't expect to have this dilemma.

If I did, I think I'd leave the FFP field blank, use the A3 card for the benefits, and then retroclaim to wherever turns out to be most appropriate.

For anyone that complains that this is using A3 status but not giving the credit for flights back - well, both of you are clearly people who have used the programme genuinely in the past, and it's potentially A3 that has decided to leave you by changing the rules, not the other way round. All you're doing is taking back some of the credit you've accumulated ...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Just got off the phone with A3 who said people who didn't earn 24,000 miles or 12,000 with 4 A3 flights between Nov 23 2013 and Nov 23 2014 would be downgraded ontr Nov 23 2014 and others would keep gold status but only for a year unless they requalified. Agent was silent on the issue of a new tier being added and current gold members becoming Star Alliance Silver. He also said they were sending out new cards with new expiration dates...but the current ones have the Star Alliance Gold logo on them so I'm not sure what they could do about the ones that are already out and expire beyond when status should be downgraded. Agent confirmed there would be soft landings.

All in all a bit harsh IMO to downgrade people's status with barely 2 months notice, especially the people who earned between 20,000 and 24,000 miles in the last year, whom we would consider to have legitimately earned it but will find themselves only Star Silver come November.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Just got off the phone with A3 who said people who didn't earn 24,000 miles or 12,000 with 4 A3 flights between Nov 23 2013 and Nov 23 2014 would be downgraded ontr Nov 23 2014 and others would keep gold status but only for a year unless they requalified. Agent was silent on the issue of a new tier being added and current gold members becoming Star Alliance Silver. He also said they were sending out new cards with new expiration dates...but the current ones have the Star Alliance Gold logo on them so I'm not sure what they could do about the ones that are already out and expire beyond when status should be downgraded. Agent confirmed there would be soft landings.

All in all a bit harsh IMO to downgrade people's status with barely 2 months notice, especially the people who earned between 20,000 and 24,000 miles in the last year, whom we would consider to have legitimately earned it but will find themselves only Star Silver come November.
I just called the Agean number to confirm, and the agent said all current gold member can keep their gold status for another year starting Nov24, and if one does not fulfill the requirement they will be downgraded to a new "Silver" Status. I am not sure if that is equivalent to *A Silver.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by J_rob129
I just called the Agean number to confirm, and the agent said all current gold member can keep their gold status for another year starting Nov24, and if one does not fulfill the requirement they will be downgraded to a new "Silver" Status. I am not sure if that is equivalent to *A Silver.
So does that mean if I flew over 24,000 miles (I did, but only because a rebooked award ticket GVA-SFO credited as full Y fare) between Nov 23 2013 and Nov 23 2014, I keep Gold until Nov 23 2016?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
I think it's worth pointing out a couple of things here, if indeed 12K plus 4 A3 flights / 24k is what happens.

Firstly, Bmi, how we loved them as the most generous of all *A members, still required 38k for a Gold renewal...

Secondly, A3's rather underwhelming customer service notwithstanding, the current Miles&Bonus conditions were unsustainable in the long run...

Thirdly, the prerequisite of crediting just one *A flight to A3 in THREE YEARS to maintain Gold was short of incredible. That cost less than most of us in London, and other big cities, give to TFL (local public transport) in just THREE MONTHS.

Result: yes, of course, they will lose members. They know that. But perhaps that's what they want to save money.

All we know is that, even at 12k + 4 A3 flights/ 24k, it's a mighty good deal for *A Gold for one year which cannot be bettered anywhere else.

It's important to be realistic. Yes, it's rubbish that the rules are changing. But it's an open market. There's no obligation to stay. You go, their loss. Or is it?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
So does that mean if I flew over 24,000 miles (I did, but only because a rebooked award ticket GVA-SFO credited as full Y fare) between Nov 23 2013 and Nov 23 2014, I keep Gold until Nov 23 2016?
According to the agent, no your status will expire on Nov 24 2015, if you do not earn any miles.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wakefield_boy
I think it's worth pointing out a couple of things here, if indeed 12K plus 4 A3 flights / 24k is what happens.

Firstly, Bmi, how we loved them as the most generous of all *A members, still required 38k for a Gold renewal...

Secondly, A3's rather underwhelming customer service notwithstanding, the current Miles&Bonus conditions were unsustainable in the long run...

Thirdly, the prerequisite of crediting just one *A flight to A3 in THREE YEARS to maintain Gold was short of incredible. That cost less than most of us in London, and other big cities, give to TFL (local public transport) in just THREE MONTHS.

Result: yes, of course, they will lose members. They know that. But perhaps that's what they want to save money.

All we know is that, even at 12k + 4 A3 flights/ 24k, it's a mighty good deal for *A Gold for one year which cannot be bettered anywhere else.

It's important to be realistic. Yes, it's rubbish that the rules are changing. But it's an open market. There's no obligation to stay. You go, their loss. Or is it?
I assume that they realize that there are large number of non-Greek memberships, and want to add the A3/OA segments for gold requalification.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K

so I flew 13k+ miles back in Feb 2014. My *G qualifying itinerary is scheduled for Nov 26th-dec 1st.

so on nov 24th, since i'll still have 12k miles, will I be dropped from Star Alliance Silver to a general member? Also, will my Nov 26th/Dec 1st flights count toward star silver for the following year?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:29 pm

The info are out and you can see them here:

http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en/
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
so I flew 13k+ miles back in Feb 2014. My *G qualifying itinerary is scheduled for Nov 26th-dec 1st.

so on nov 24th, since i'll still have 12k miles, will I be dropped from Star Alliance Silver to a general member? Also, will my Nov 26th/Dec 1st flights count toward star silver for the following year?
My guess is that you will maintain *A Silver, but new requirement will apply to you to reach gold. This means that you will have to take 4 A3/OA flights + 24k to reach gold status.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Lightbulb

Don't know if the link is already posted here.

Current (official) news regarding the new Miles+Bonus program:
http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by alinghi90
Don't know if the link is already posted here.

Current (official) news regarding the new Miles+Bonus program:
http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en
Thanks! I love the new design!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.