Swiss operated by Edelweiss/ Augsburg

Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GBobon
i think more details about this will help many of us, did you use any online forms or email address?
I complained via direct message on Twitter using @StarAlliance. I never heard back from them but did get credited.
GBobon likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:01 am

For the first time really disappointed in Aegean. I understand and accept that Edelweiss operated flights do not render any miles even if on LX flight codes.
BUT, I have now tried to reclaim a straightforward leg (or so I thought) with Austrian in booking class Y, VIE-TFS. This should clearly give 1250 miles (Cross-European border) according to M&B table for Austrian, also checked it on owenrudge starcalc.

When I called Aegean just now, they told me this is a charter flight. Doesn't say so anywhere in my booking papers or on my boarding pass. Still, might be so. But then they should list the flight numbers concerned on their Austrian credit page, like for example SAS Eurobonus does!

I can accept bad conditions, but I can't accept when airlines lie about miles credits in their tables. Not well done at all, Aegean
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:30 pm

A charter flight is a flight which is not sold by the airline itself. Leisure groups such as TUI, Thomas Cook, and Kuoni charter airplanes the whole time from all kinds of companies. And for those flights, you don't buy the ticket from the airline itself. You usually buy the ticket from the leisure group, and the flight is usually a part of a package with a hotel, and perhaps ground transportation and meals. Those fligts are never real "Star Alliance" flights, although operated by a Star carrier. So, when buying a charter package, you will normally not earn any miles at all no matter what airline it is and no matter which frequent flyer program you credit to. There may be some exceptions that I'm not familiar with, but that's the general rule for all Star, Oneworld, Skyteam, and all independent airlines, too.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Agreed, it's not super obvious but to be honest, you could've assumed that.
When booking these flights you do so via Austrian myHolidays, that should be a red flag.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:17 am

I don't see how I could have assumed this was the case, since there was no info about this, neither on my booking confirmation (bought flights only, through Seat24 but all legs were as usual immediately visible on austrian and swiss "manage your booking" pages) nor my boarding pass. They both said Austrian with OS flight number, operated by Austrian, fare class Y. The name "Austrian myHolidays" is nowhere to be seen.

The complete trip was TXL-VIE Austrian business P (have got those miles registered already), VIE-TFS Austrian economy Y, TFS-ZRH Swiss/Edelweiss business P (totally clear I won't get anything for this one, no problem since that was clear from the beginning since operating carrier is Edelweiss), ZRH-TXL business P (will get miles as usual for this one).

I'm not a whiner otherwise, but in this case I only blame Aegean - if they do not give miles for all Austrian class Y flights, then they should state that on the earn miles page like SAS Eurobonus does. Otherwise, what else should I assume that Aegean do not honour even if it says so on their own web page?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This lack of transparency is general to most Star airlines, not just Aegean. The problem with the Aegean earnings table online is that they are so slack updating it that you never know if what is there is even correct, let alone complete. I still find it unbelievable that Lufthansa P class gives nothing whereas Swiss P class gives 100%. It just doesn‘t make sense and if it had not been so long, I would have assumed it is a mistake rather than intentional.

This all puts me off flying Star at all, since I prefer to know up front what I am going to get.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
My thinking was:
- Strange flight number
- MyAustrian Holidays when booking directly
- M&M earnings differ for those on other OS flights

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that you're upset and I would be too. And I don't want to protect A3 by any means in this case, their earnings website is everything but optimal. The only thing I am saying is that, in hindsight, that one could've known. The German term that comes to my mind in this case is "potenzielles Erklärungsbewusstsein".
​​​​
I generally check the earnings of LH-Group flights with M&M first to make sure that they consider it a "normal" flight. Cause if they don't, chances are A3 won't either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.